General information on collaboration
The Republic of Poland has taken part in JINR activity since its foundation according to the agreement signed 26 March 1956. Poland has always played a big role in JINR activity since its foundation. Many well-known Polish physicists the older generation significantly contributed to JINR development. Important scientists as L. Ingfeld, G. Niewodniczański, A.Soltan were members of the JINR Scientific Council in the first years of JINR life. Polish scientists (M. Danish, A. Khrinkevich, A. Budzanovski, E. Bartke, etc.) held leading positions in JINR and in the laboratories at different times. Today a group of Polish scientists in JINR is smaller, unfortunately, as it was in the 70s and 80s.
The Institute has wide links with Polish scientific centres. At present, JINR keeps in touch with 30 Polish scientific organisations (including 16 universities) of all scientific areas of JINR activity. In 1998 a corresponding committee was formed upon an initiative of the Institute Directory, Professor G. Nevodnichanski – Chairman of NCUAE RP – and academician A. Khrinkevich – Plenipotentiary representative of the Government of RP – for recovery purpuses.
At present 20 experts and their family members of the Republic of Poland work in JINR. The main part of them is connected with collaborative works and does researches in scientific institutes and universities in Poland. They use JINR techniques and developments when come on short-term business trips to Dubna.
JINR meetings have been held many times in Poland. XIV International symposium on nuclear electronics took place in Warsaw in 1990. 16th Max Bourn seminar “Supersymmetries and Quantum Symmetries” was held in 2001, summer school “Nuclear Methods and Accelerators in Biology and Medicine” – in 2003, and meetings “Laser Application in Nuclei Research” – in 2004 and 2006. Meetings on laser application in nuclear physics are held in Poznan regularly. The 8th such meeting was dedicated to Laser Application and Storage Facilities for Nuclei Research, Achievements and Prospects and took place in 2009.
In the 70s-80s, many leading and young JINR experts participated in popular physics schools at that time as lecturers and listeners in Mikołajki and Zakopane. At present international schools and conferences held in Poland also attract JINR employees’ attention. A participation of physicists from Dubna in international physics school in Wrocław became traditional as well as a participation in Poznan seminars on neutron scattering in condensed matters. Only in 2009 they went to Poland to attend in 15 scientific meetings including 45th Karpachski winter school of theoretical physics, international symposium “Neutron Spectroscopy and its Application”, 4th International symposium on vacuum science and technology, and etc.
Alexander V. Belushkin
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Poland, Head of Sector of the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics
+7 (49621) 6-56-57
In the early 90s JINR directory pays great attention to student mobility, organisation of scientific student schools and student courses. Students and postgraduates come to JINR from different countries including Poland (JINR got in touch with Poland as a part of educational programme) for practice, specialised studies for illustrative purposes. A programme Bogolubov-Infeld was established to support Polish and JINR universities initiatives on development and implementation of educational projects. The programme financing is a special grant of the Plenipotentiary representative of the Republic of Poland in JINR. Polish students get acquainted with the Institute, attend lectures of leading JINR scientists, do laboratory-based studies, do pre-graduation and graduation practical training, which largely is achievement of Polish employee Wladislaw Chmielowski, Assistant to JINR Chief Scientific Secretary.
Annually 100 JINR employees come to Poland to attend conferences and do collaborative works.
The scientists of Poland take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation on 9 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 6 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 7 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme
JINR has developed extensive relations with Polish scientific centres among which the most active partners are:
- Warsaw University of Technology
- University of Warsaw
- Soltan Institute for Nuclear Studies (National Centre for Nuclear Research)
- Institute of Nuclear Chemistry and Technology
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Poland in JINR from 25 June 2009 to the present day is Michael Waligórski, President of Polish Society of Medical Physics.
Michael Waligórski, Philosophy Doctor in Nuclear Physicsm professor, President of Polish Society of Medical Physics since 2005, was born in 1945 in Richmond. He has taught clinical dosimetry at the physics and applied physics department in the Staszic Academy of Mining and Metallurgy. His area of expertise is radiobiology and hadron therapy of on oncological diseases.
At present, members of the JINR Scientific Council are:
- Mieczysław Budzyński, Director of the Institute of Physics of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University (Lublin, Poland)
- Marek Jeżabek , Director-General, Henryk Niewodniczański Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Kraków, Poland)
- Krzysztof Rusek, Director, Heavy Ion Laboratory, University of Warsaw (Warsaw, Poland)
- Michael Waligórski, Head, Department of Medical Physics, Henryk Niewodniczański Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences; National Consultant in Medical Physics, Oncology Centre (Kraków, Poland)
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Head of the national group of the Republic of Poland, Assistant to Head of the JINR Science Organization & International Cooperation Office
+7 (49621) 6-51-42
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states, the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- New Year – 1 January
- Catholic The Manifestation of God – 6 January;
- Day of Grandmother in Poland – 21 January;
- Day of Grandfather in Poland – 22 January;
- Holocaust Remembrance Day – 27 January;
- St. Valentine’s Day – 14 February;
- International Women’s Day – 8 March;
- Fool’s Day – 1 AprilДень смеха – 1 апреля;
- Catholic Easter – Su and Mo (first Sunday after the first spring full moon);
- Labour’s Day – 1 May;
- Constitution Day in Poland – 3 May;
- Day of Liberation from Fascism – 8 May;
- Mother’s Day in Poland – 26 May;
- Day of Divine Body and Blood – Thru of ninth week after Easter;
- Catholic Assumption Day – 15 August;
- Day of Polish Military – 15 August;
- Teacher’s Day – 14 October;
- All Hallows’ Day – 1 November;
- Commemoration Day – 2 November;
- Day of Independence of Poland – 11 November;
- Andrzejki – Day of Andrey’s Name-Day – 30 November;
- Catholic St. Nicholas’ Day (Mikołajki) – 6 December;
- Catholic Eve – 24 December;
- Catholic Christmas – 25 December;
- St. Silvester’s Day – 31 December.
- A regular session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of the Governments of the JINR Member States chaired by Chairman of the Bulgarian Nuclear Regulatory Agency, Plenipotentiary of Bulgaria in JINR L. Kostov was held on 21-22 November 2016 in Krakow (Poland).
- On 18 November 2016, in Krakow (Poland) an opening of a meeting of the JINR Finance Committee chaired by Director of the Department of Finance of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation A.V. Zarubin was held.
- On 17 February 2016, Polish staff members of JINR made reports on their research to members of the Commission of the JINR Plenipotentiary Representative of the Polish Republic.
- On 1-5 July 2015, by order of CP JINR, a meeting of the Work Group under the CP Chairman on financial issues was held in Kazimierz Dolny (the Republic of Poland).
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Poland in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Republic of Poland: