General information on collaboration
The Republic of Ukraine, as a part of the USSR, joined JINR since its foundation according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956.
Ukraine has been a JINR Member State since 1991. Boris V. Grinev was appointed as representative of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine at the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of the Governments of the JINR Member States (according to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №1158 of 15 December 2010). At that moment, he was First Deputy Chairman of the State Agency for Science, Innovations and Informatization of Ukraine (Gosinformnauki).
According to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №178 of 08.04.2015, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine is the main central executive body responsible for discharge of duties deriving from the Ukraine membership in JINR.
JINR is an associate member of the International Association of the Academy of Sciences headed by the President of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Ukraine Academician B.E. Paton. Cooperation between the Junior Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (JASU) and JINR is being actively developed. An agreement on professional training of Ukrainian lecturers, training of students and postgraduates in the fields of natural sciences signed in 2011 aided this. Nowadays, cooperation is developed in the following fields:
- Scientific schools for teaching staff on the basis of JINR. The school programme includes attendance of teachers at seminars, lectures, scientific video-conferences in Dubna, laboratories of the Institute; excursions to technical complexes of the Institute and video-conferences with CERN scientists with participation of Ukrainian and Russian physicists as well as partnership and exchange of experience;
- Attendance of Ukrainian teachers and school students at forums on the basis of JINR. Holding round tables on issues of modern problems in physics and methods of teaching at school, presentations of school students at the mini-conference;
- Exchange of experience and methodological developments, collaborative development of educational, methodical and programme materials to support the educational process;
- Teleconferences between JINR scientists and JASU members.
The Bogoliubov Programme of theoretical physics was launched in 2011. As a part of this programme, lectures, practical studies and school practices on high energy physics are annually held here. This programme is focused on implementation of collaborative research and academic projects of JINR and Ukrainian scientific institutions of fundamental fields of theoretical physics. The programme also promotes academic mobility of young scientists, postgraduates and masters of Ukraine and JINR.
The cooperation between JINR and the Physical Department of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (KNU) actively develops. Collaborative research on condensed matter physics is conducted at the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics, including the analysis of the structure and physical and chemical properties of actual nanosystems: magnetic liquids, surfactant solutions, fullerene solutions, nanodiamond dispersions. In this area of research, a graduation practice and further KNU postgraduate’s work in FLNP are organised together with the JINR University Centre. As a part of cooperation, 7 Ph.D. theses were defended, about 100 scientific works were published in peer-reviewed international journals.
The Bogoliubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of NAS in Kyiv also cooperates with JINR. Academician Nikolai N. Bogoliubov was the founder and the first Director of this Institute. A specific character of JINR cooperation with this Institute is defined by mutual scientific school – the Bogoliubov school. There is a regular Bogoliubov conference “Problems of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics”. Collaborative work on creatin and development of the GRID-infrastructure of ITP, which is the main organisation in the Ukrainian academic GRID, is supported with the grant of Plenipotentiary Representative of the Government of Ukraine in JINR.
For many years, active cooperation with Ukraine develops in the fields of scintillation detectors creation, which are developed in the Institute for Scintillation Materials (ISM) and in the Scientific-Technological Complex “The Institute of Single Crystals” of NAS. In these centres, new materials (crystals and plastics successfully used in experiments on particle physics and nuclear physics) are created under the direction of famous Ukrainian scientists B.V. Grinev and B.P. Seminozhenko. In particular, scientists from Dubna, Ukraine, Slovakia, Italy and the USA developed detectors with reradiate fibers in the framework of the CDF collaborative scientific project in the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab, The USA). Ionization radiation detectors created basing on Ukrainian scintillators were tested and installed in Fermilab by the Dubna team of Professor J.A. Budagov, where its high quality was aknowledged.
The important task was fulfilled as a part of the OPERA experiment, where more than 20000 scintillator plates each 7m of length were installed for the system of electronic interaction vertex indication. They were produced using the developed specially for this purpose technology. All developments, production, tests and plate assembling were done together with the team of four scientists from JINR under the supervision of Yu.A. Gornushkin and A.G. Olshevsky. Development of this unique detector system provided a serious creative and material JINR contribution to the OPERA international experiment on search for neutrino oscillations.
Special plastic, scintillation detectors in Dubna and Paris were made of, was also produced in Ukraine for the NEMO neutrino experiment, and the unique crystals developed and produced in ISM are used today in the experiment on search for rare decays of mesons at the accelerator in Zurich (Switzerland).
It is important that in the experiments mentioned above Ukraine contributed to JINR not financially, but by new unique materials and technologies.
Cooperation between the Department of Nuclear Physics and Energy of NAS of Ukraine and JINR is strengthening. The Institute of Electrophysics and Radiation Technologies NAS of Ukraine with the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions and the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics perform collaborative research on radiation solid state physics. The group of staff members of the Institute for Nuclear Research of NAS of Ukraine carries out theoretical calculations of diffraction of hyperon interaction with nuclei for experiments conducted at the Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics. Theoretical research is being carried out in cooperation with the National Scientific Centre “Kharkov Physical and Technical Institute” NAS of Ukraine. The research is connected with experiments with the use of polarised beams and polarised targets of high energy physics and improvement works of these systems. The cooperation of JINR and KPTI in the fields of grid-technologies was supported by two grants of RFBR-NAS of Ukraine:
- “Preparation of computing complexes of LIT JINR (Dubna) and KPTI to distributed data analysis of the CMS experiment (CERN) on the grid-technology basis” – 08-07-90410-Ukraine (2008-2009). As a result of the project’s implementation, all necessary conditions for distributed CMS experiment data analysis were provided at the JINR computing complexes (Dubna) and at KPTI, that makes full participation of Russian and Ukrainian physicists in the CMS experiment on its active stage possible.
- “Development and support of grid-technology LIT JINR and KPTI for distributed CMS experiment data processing (CERN) during the first two years of the Large Hadron Collider operation” 10-07-90400-Ukraine (2010-2011), accepted in 2010. The project’s goal is to provide use of the computing grid-structure of LIT JINR and KPTI in processing of the experimental data obtained int he CMS experiment during the first two years of the LHC operation. It includes providing of reliability and stability of operation of the computing complexes of LIT JINR and KPTI as WLCG elements and T2-sites of the CMS experiment. The project includes also development and modernisation of these complexes according to the changing CMS collaboration requirements for computing organisation, and creation and adjustment of data analysis algorithms of this experiment for search of “new physics”.
Active participation of Ukrainian scientist in launch of the NICA mega-science project should be mentioned. The project “Complex NICA” is a world leader in research on heavy nuclei physics of high energy. More than 300 scientists from 70 institutes of 32 countries already take part in project’s preparation.
The aim of this project is to carry out fundamental research, which is impossible at other world accelerating centres, focused, first of all, on study of superdense nuclear substance that existed in the early evolution stage of the Universe and in neutron star bosoms. The project is also focused on a wide range of innovation and applied work. In the course of carrying out experiments in the frames of the NICA project, foreign specialists will not be able to go without the opportunities that Ukraine can provide:
There are specialists in Ukraine who have experience in numerous projects on high energy physics that were implemented within international collaborations in Switzerland, Germany, Japan and other countries over the past years. Ukraine also has technological capabilities that are implemented and brought to specific product samples and will be in demand in the experiments of the NICA project. Such unique technological base exists only in Ukraine and gives a great advantage to Ukrainian scientists.
The Ukrainian industry delivers detectors based on plastic scintillators, microcables used in detectors of the Large Hadron Collider in CERN. Participation in the NICA project allows Ukraine to restore and widen fragments of the microelectronic base that has early existed in Ukraine, and to promote changes in the educational system of Ukraine thus training specialists whose level of knowledge will match that of the world one.
Annually, JINR Plenipotentiary Representative of Ukraine in JINR B.V. Grinev conducts interviews and sends high-skilled experts to work at the Institute as a part of cooperation with JINR. At present, 25 people sent from Ukraine work in JINR. Holding of the annual report seminar was initiated by Plenipotentiary Representative of the Government of Ukraine in order to sum up the milestones of work done by JINR staff members from Ukraine. In the frames of this seminar, JINR staff members from Ukraine provide detailed reports on individual achievements made during the report period of work at JINR, including scientific works published and accepted for publication, participation in scientific conferences on the corresponding research themes and personal work plans for the future.
In 2013, the collaborative research of young scientists from the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and JINR was awarded the Prize of the Ukranian President.
Alexander G. Olshevski
Executive of the contacts with Ukraine from JINR, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
+7 (49621) 6-50-77
+7 (49621) 6-21-21 (Secretary)
+7 (49621) 6-66-66 (fax.)
The collaboration with Ukraine is almost for each field of JINR scientific researches, but mostly they collaborates with each other for theoretical physics, researches of elementary particle physics and relativistic nuclear physics, condensed matter physics.
The scientists of Ukraine take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2019.
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation is on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation is on 8 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation is on 4 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation is on 4 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
СCooperation is on 1 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation is on 1 theme
At present JINR collaborates with 25 scientific organisations and universities of Ukraine. The most actively JINR collaborates with following organisations:
- Bogoliubov Institute of Theoretical Physics on the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (ITP NAS Ukraine)
- Institute for Nuclear Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (INR NAS Ukraine)
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev (KNU)
- Institute of Electrophysics and Radiation Technology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (IERT NAS Ukraine)
- National Scientific Centre “Kharkov Physics and Technical Institute” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NSC “KPTI” NAS Ukraine)
- Scientific and Technological Complex “Institute of Singular Crystals” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (STC “ISC” NAS Ukraine)
- Institute of Scintillation Materials of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (ISM NAS Ukraine)
- National Technical University of Ukraine “Kiev Polytechnic Institute” (NTUU “KPI”)
List of cooperating organisations
- DNU, Dnepropetrovsk National University named after Oles Honchar
- DonIPE NAS Ukraine, Donetsk Institute for Physics and Engineering named after O.O. Galkin National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ITP NAS Ukraine, Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- INR NAS Ukraine, Institute for Nuclear Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- KNU, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev
- IM NAS Ukraine, Institute of Mathematics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- IMP NAS Ukraine, G.V.Kurdyumov Institute for Metal Physics of the N.A.S. of Ukraine
- IPMS NAS Ukraine, Phrantsevich Institute for Problems in Materials Science of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ISC NAS Ukraine, Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NBG NAS Ukraine, M.M.Gryshko National Botanic Garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NTUU “KPI”, National Technical University of Ukraine “Kiev Polytechnic Institute”
- VNU, Volyn National University named after Lesya Ukrainka
- IAPMM, NAS Ukraine, Pidstryhach Institute for Applied Problems of Mechanics and Mathematics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ICMP NAS Ukraine, Institute for Condensed Matter Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NUL, Ivan Franco National University of Lvov
- LPNU, Lvov Polytechnic National University
- SIMPEX, Research and Production Enterprise “SIMPEX and Red Cross” Joint-Stock Company
- IAP NAS Ukraine, Institute of Applied Physics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- SumSU, Sumy State University
- IEP NAS Ukraine, Institute of Electronic Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- USU, Uzhgorod State University
- IERT NAS Ukraine, Institute of Electrophysics ad Radiation Technologies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NSC “KIPT” NAS Ukraine, National Science Center “Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- SSI “ISC” NAS Ukraine, State Scientific Institution “Institute for Single Crystals” of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ISM NAS Ukraine, Institute for Scintillation Materials of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- KhNU, V.N.Karazin Kharkov National University
The Plenipotentiary representative of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine in JINR has been Boris V. Grinev, academician of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Director of the State Fund for Fundamental Research of Ukraine, since 15 December 2010.
01601, Ukraine, Kiev, Taras Shevchenko Blvd. 16
+380 (44) 287-82-21
Plenipotentiary representatives of the Government of Ukraine in JINR since 1992:
- Sergey M. Riabchenko, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Chairman of the State Committee of Science and engineering of Ukraine
- Vladimir E. Storizhko, academician of NAS Ukraine, Chairman of the State Committee of Science and engineering of Ukraine
- Ilia I. Zaliubovski, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Prorector of Kharkov State University
- Boris V. Grinev, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine
- Vadim S. Stogni, Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine, vice-chairman academic secretary of the Committee of State prizes of Ukraine in Science and
- Borys Grynyov, Director, State Fund for Fundamental Research of Ukraine;
- Gennady Zinovjev, Head, High-Density Energy Physics Department, Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
According to the approved practice of referring Ukrainian citizens to job in JINR, candidates must an individual interview with a Plenipotentiary representative of the Government of Ukraine in JINR – Boris V. Grinev. Candidates must register to an interview in advance.
All candidates must have following original documents on them:
- Letter by a releasing organization of Ukraine addressed to a Plenipotentiary representative requesting to consider the possibility of referring to a job in JINR;
- Extended biography;
- Workplan in JINR for a requested period of referral singed by a director of a JINR laboratory;
- List of published articles in foreign sources over the last 3 years.
Scanned copies must be sent by e-mail in advance.
Contact information for referral questions:
Ukraine, Kiev 01601, T. Shevchenko Blvd. 16
Tel. +38 (044) 287 82 21
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Dmitry V. Soloviev
Head of the national group of Ukraine, FLNP Scientific Reseacher
+7 (49621) 6-23-35
Viktor I. Petrenko
Deputy Head of the national group of Ukraine, FLNP Group Leader
+7 (49621) 6-49-88
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- New Year – 1 January
- Christmas – 7 January
- Day of Unity of Ukraine – 22 January
- Students’ Day (Tatiana Day) – 25 January
- International Women’s Day – 8 March
- Easter – Date of this Holiday is unique for each year.
- Labour Day – 1 May
- Victory Day – 9 May
- Day of Science in Ukraine – Third Saturday of May
- Europe’s Day in Ukraine – Third Saturday of May
- Day of Slavic Writing and Culture – 24 May
- Day of Constitution of Ukraine – 28 June
- St. John the Baptist – 7 July
- Day of Independence of Ukraine – 24 August, main state holiday of Ukraine
- The 8th traditional Report Seminar of the National Group of Ukraine at JINR will be held on 21 September 2018 in the Green Hall of the International Conference Hall, Dubna.
- A traditional report seminar of the national group of Ukraine at JINR was held on 19 September 2017 in the International Conference Hall in Dubna
- On 26–30 May 2016, Kiev hosted the JINR Days. On 26 May, with participation of L.Kostov, Chairman of the JINR Committee of Plenipotentiaries, the opening of the exhibition devoted to the 60th anniversary of JINR was held at the Faculty of Physics of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
- On 26 May 2016, in the frames of the JINR Days in Ukraine an exhibition dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR was opened at the Faculty of Physics of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
- The International Symposium “Interaction of the governments and national scientific organizations with the international organizations aimed at development and application of scientific knowledge” was held on 19-20 October 2015 in Kiev
- The fifth Report Seminar of the National Group of Ukraine at JINR was held on 24-25 September 2015 in the International Conference Hall
- The Diploma of Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences was presented to the famous scientist in the fields of theoretical physics, Academician, Vice-President of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, member of the JINR Scientific Council Professor Anatoly Zagorodny on 28 January 2014 at the meeting of the RAS Presidium
- JINR Scientific Leader V.G. Kadyshevsky and Professor A.G. Olshevski participated in ceremonial events dedicated to the 20th anniversary of foundation of the International Association of Academies of Sciences and the 95th anniversary of its permanent Chairman President of the NAS of Ukraine Boris Eugenievich Paton, which were held in Kiev on 2–4 December 2013
- A delegation from Ukraine headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine to the Russian Federation Vladimir Yurievich Yelchenko visited the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research on 20 February 2013
- The second Report Seminar of the National Group of Ukraine at JINR was held at the FLNP convention hall on 19 November 2012
- A report seminar of the Ukrainian national group of JINR was held in the frames of days of Ukrainian Culture in JINR on 14 September 2011 in the JINR House of scientists
- The jubilee general meeting of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU) was held in Kiev on 21 September 2009. It was dedicated to the centenary of the birth of Academician N.N.Bogoliubov
- 16 July 2009. Boris E. Paton, president of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was awarded the JINR Bogoliubov Prize for significant contribution to science and international cooperation development. Academician of RAS Dmitry V. Shirokov, honorary LTP JINR director was awarded the prize for a significant contribution to theoretical physics and in particular for new methods development of quantum theory of field
- A presentation of the Diploma of foreign member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU) to Academician V.G.Kadyshevsky was held on 1 July 2009 at the International Conference Hall.
- On Friday, 19 December 2008, a representative delegation of Ukraine headed by the Ambassador of Ukraine to Russia, the First Deputy Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, Konstantin Gryshchenko represented Ukrain as and ambassador in the USA in 2000, 2003-2005 visited Dubna. The Plenipotentiary of the Government of Ukraine to JINR Vadim Stogniy arrived in Dubna together with the Ambassador.
- Following Russian President Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko issued a decree about the celebration of the centenary of the birth of the outstanding scientist, physicist-theorist and the founder of JINR scientific school Nikolay Bogolyubov on 11 December 2008
Contact Information on the Embassies of Ukraine
Address: 01601, Kiev, Shevchenko Blvd. 16
Tel.: +380 (44) 287-82-21 (receiving office of the Plenipotentiary representative of the Government of Ukraine)
Embassy of Ukraine in the Russian Federation:Address: 125009, Moscow, Leontievski lane, 18,
Tel: +7(495) 629 46 40 (receiving office of the Ambassador),
+7(495) 629 97 42, +7(495) 629 69 22 (Consular Department),
+7(495) 629 35 42, +7(495) 629 46 81 (Secretariat).
E-mail for communication with citizens: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail of Consular Department: email@example.com
Russian Embassy in Ukraine: