General information on collaboration
The Republic of Ukraine, as a part of the USSR, joined JINR since it foundation according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956.
The Republic of Ukraine, as a part of the USSR, joined JINR since it foundation according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956. Ukraine has been a JINR member state since 1991. Boris V. Grinev was appointed to a representative of the Cabinet of Ukraine in the Plenipotentiary representative Committee of the JINR member state governments (according to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine as of 15 December 2010 №1158). At that moment he was a first vice-chairman of the Government Agency of Science, innovations and Ukraine informational support (Gosinformnauki).
According to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine as of 08.04.2015 №178, The Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine is the main central executive body which is responsible for a discharge of duties from the Ukraine membership in JINR.
JINR is an associated member of the International Association of the Academy of Sciences headed by the President of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Ukraine academician B.E. Paton.
A cooperation between the Junior Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (JASU) and JINR is developed actively. An agreement of the skill improvement of Ukrainian lecturers, student and postgraduate in natural science field schooling signed in 2011 was be an accompaniment of this. Currently, the cooperation is developed on the following:
- Schools of science for pedagogical employees based on JINR. The school programme covers teacher attendance in seminars, lectures, scientific video-conferences in Dubna, laboratories-subdivision of the Institute; excursions at technical complexes of the Institute and video-conferences between CERN scientists and Ukrainian and Russian sides of member states, and also there are partnership and experience exchange;
- Attendance of Ukrainian teachers and pupils in JINR forums. Meetings for the modern physics problems and techniques of the schooling, presentations of pupils with reports at mini-conferences;
- Exchange of experience and of guidance papers, collaborative development of educational, teaching and programme materials for a support of academic activities;
- Televised question and answer session between JINR and pupils (JASU members).
Bogoliubov Programme of theoretical physics was opened in 2011. As a part of this programme, lectures, practical studies and school-practices of physics of high energy annually take place here. This programme is focused on the realisation of collaborative research and academic projects between JINR and Ukrainian scientific institutions of fundamental fields of theoretical physics. The programme also promotes an academic mobility of young scientists, postgraduates and masters of Ukraine and JINR.
The cooperation between JINR and Physical department of the Shevchenko Kiev National University (KNU) develops actively. Collaborative researches of physics of condensed substance matters are done at the Frank Laboratories of the Neutron Physics (including an analysis of the structure and physical-chemical properties of actual nanosystems: magnetic liquids, surfactant solutions, fullerene solution, nanodiamond dispersions). A graduation practical training and further KNU postgraduate’s work in FLNP is organised together with the JINR scientific centre considering that area. As a part of the cooperation, 7 Ph.D. theses were defended, about 100 scientific works were published in peer-reviewed international editions.
The Bogoliubov Institute of Theoretical Physics NAS Ukraine in Kiev also cooperates with JINR. Academician Nikolai N. Bogoliubov was a founder and first director of this Institute. A specific character of the JINR cooperation with this Institute are defined by mutual scientific school – Bogoliubov school. There is a regular Bogolubov conference for “Problems of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics”. The collaborative works on development ITP (the head of organisation at the academic Ukrainian GRID structure) GRID-infrastructure are supported with the Plenipotentiary representative grant of the Government of Ukraine in JINR.
Over many years, the active cooperation with Ukraine develops in scintillation detector creation, which are developed in the Institute of Scintillation Materials (ISM) and in the Scientific-Technological Complex “the Institute of Single Crystals”. New materials (crystals and plastics which are used with success in experiments of particle physics and nuclear physics) are created at these institutes under the direction of famous Ukrainian scientists B.V. Grinev and B.P. Seminozhenko. In particular, scientists from Dubna, Ukraine, Slovakia, Italy and the USA made developments of detectors with reradiative fibers within collaborative scientific CDF project in the Fermi National accelerative laboratory (Fermilab, The USA). The ionizing-radiation detectors created on a base of Ukrainian scintillators were tested and installed in Fermilab, where its high quality was proved, by professor J.A. Budagov team from Dubna.
The important job was done as a part of OPERA experiment, where more than 20000 scintillator plates 7m in length were installed for the system of electronic interaction vertex indication. They were fabricated to a specific technology. All developments, production, tests and plate assembling were done together with the team of four scientists from JINR under the supervision of J.A Gornushkin and A.G Olshevski. The creation of this unique detector system enabled a serious creative and material JINR contribution to the international OPERA experiment on neutrino oscillations search.
The special plastics, which scintillation detectors were made up in Dubna and Paris from, were made also in Ukraine for NEMO neutrino experiment, and unique crystals developed and made in ISM are used today in an experiment on a decay of rare mesons at accelerator in Zurich (Switzerland). Essentially, Ukraine contributed to JINR not financially, but with unique new materials and technologies.The cooperation between the Nuclear Physics and Energetics Detail NAS of Ukraine and JINR is widening. the Institute of Electro-physics and Radiation Technologies NAS of Ukraine with the Flerov Laboratory of the Nuclear Reactions and the Frank Laboratory of the Neutron Physics of JINR do collaborative works in radiation physics of solid state. The group of employees of the Institute of the Nuclear Research NAS of Ukraine makes theoretical calculations of diffraction hyperon interaction with nuclei for experiments done at the Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics. Theoretical researches are done in cooperation with the National Scientific Centre “Kharkov Physical and Technical Institute” NAS of Ukraine. The researches are connected with experiments with the using of polarised beams and polarised targets of JINR high energy physics, and connected with the improvement works of these systems. The cooperation of JINR and KPTI in grid-technology was supported with two grants of RFBR-NAS of Ukraine:
- “Preparation of computing complexes LIT JINR (Dubna) and KPTI of distributed data analysis of CMS experiment (CERN) on grid-technology basis” – 08-07-90410-Ukraine (2008-2009). As a result of the project, all requisite conditions for distributed CMS experiment data analysis were created at computing complexes (Dubna) and at KPTI, that opens the door to full participation of Russian and Ukrainian physicists in CMS experiment on its active stage.
- “Development and support of grid-technology LIT JINR and KPTI for distributed CMS experiment data handling (CERN) during first two years of Large Hadron Collider” 10-07-90400-Ukraine (2010-2011) was accepted in 2010. The project’s aim is to provide a computing grid-structure of LIT JINR and KPTI in distributed CMS experiment data handling during first two years of LHC. This includes a reliability support and a support of work stability of computing complexes of LIT JINR and KPTI as WLCG elements and T2-sites elements of CMS experiment, development and modernisation of these complexes according to changing CMS collaboration requirements to computing organisation, and creation of data analysis algorithm and adjusting of concrete data analysis algorithms of this experiment for “new physics” experience purpose.
An activity of Ukrainian scientist in mega-science NICA project launch should be mentioned. The project “Complex NICA” is a world leader in research of heavy nuclei physics of high energy. More than 300 scientists from 70 institutes of 32 countries already take part in projects preparation.
The aim of this project is to do fundamental researches, which are unable to do at other world accelerative centres and focused, first of all, on superdense nuclear substance existed in the early evolution stage of the Universe and existed in neutron star bosoms; and focused on a wide range of innovation and applied work.
Foreign experts during experiments within NICA will take opportunities which Ukraine provides: There are in Ukraine experts who have an experience in numerous projects of high energy physics that were done within international collaborations in Switzerland, Germany, Japan and other countries over the last years.
Ukraine also has technological capabilities that are carried out raised to concrete production patterns. They are going to be in demand during experiments within NICA. This unique base exists only in Ukraine and give a great advantage to Ukrainian scientists. The Ukrainian industry delivers detectors on plastic scintillators basis, microcables used in Large Hadron Collider in CERN.
The participation in NICA allows Ukraine to rebirth and widen fragments of the microelectronic base that early existed in Ukraine, and to promote the change of the educational system of Ukraine with experts training which level of knowledge matched with the world one.
Annually, as a part of the cooperation with JINR the Plenipotentiary representative of the government of Ukraine in JINR B.V. Grinev conducts an interview and refers high-skilled experts to job at the Institute from Ukraine. At present, 25 people sent from Ukraine work in JINR. A practice of the annual report seminar was brought by the Plenipotentiary representative of the government of Ukraine for a totalisation of works done by JINR employees above.
JINR employees and Ukrainian citizens tell in detail the audience about individual achievements during the period under review of the work in the Institute including scientific works which were published and accepted for press, and participations in scientific conferences for corresponding research themes and individual work plans in the future.
In 2010 collaborative works of young scientists of Shevchenko National University of Kiev in JINR were awarded the Ukrainian President prize.
Alexander G. Olshevski
Executive of the contacts with Ukraine from JINR, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
+7 (49621) 6-50-77
+7 (49621) 6-21-21 (Secretary)
+7 (49621) 6-66-66 (fax.)
The collaboration with Ukraine is almost for each field of JINR scientific researches, but mostly they collaborates with each other for theoretical physics, researches of elementary particle physics and relativistic nuclear physics, condensed matter physics.
The scientists of Ukraine take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017.
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation is on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation is on 11 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation is on 4 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation is on 4 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
СCooperation is on 2 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation is on 1 theme
At present JINR collaborates with 25 scientific organisations and universities of Ukraine. The most actively JINR collaborates with following organisations:
- Bogoliubov Institute of Theoretical Physics on the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (ITP NAS Ukraine)
- Institute for Nuclear Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (INR NAS Ukraine)
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev (KNU)
- Institute of Electrophysics and Radiation Technology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (IERT NAS Ukraine)
- National Scientific Centre “Kharkov Physics and Technical Institute” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NSC “KPTI” NAS Ukraine)
- Scientific and Technological Complex “Institute of Singular Crystals” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (STC “ISC” NAS Ukraine)
- Institute of Scintillation Materials of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (ISM NAS Ukraine)
- National Technical University of Ukraine “Kiev Polytechnic Institute” (NTUU “KPI”)
List of cooperating organisations
- DNU, Dnepropetrovsk National University named after Oles Honchar
- DonIPE NAS Ukraine, Donetsk Institute for Physics and Engineering named after O.O. Galkin National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ITP NAS Ukraine, Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- INR NAS Ukraine, Institute for Nuclear Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- KNU, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev
- IM NAS Ukraine, Institute of Mathematics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- IMP NAS Ukraine, G.V.Kurdyumov Institute for Metal Physics of the N.A.S. of Ukraine
- IPMS NAS Ukraine, Phrantsevich Institute for Problems in Materials Science of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ISC NAS Ukraine, Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NBG NAS Ukraine, M.M.Gryshko National Botanic Garden of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NTUU “KPI”, National Technical University of Ukraine “Kiev Polytechnic Institute”
- VNU, Volyn National University named after Lesya Ukrainka
- IAPMM, NAS Ukraine, Pidstryhach Institute for Applied Problems of Mechanics and Mathematics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ICMP NAS Ukraine, Institute for Condensed Matter Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NUL, Ivan Franco National University of Lvov
- LPNU, Lvov Polytechnic National University
- SIMPEX, Research and Production Enterprise “SIMPEX and Red Cross” Joint-Stock Company
- IAP NAS Ukraine, Institute of Applied Physics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- SumSU, Sumy State University
- IEP NAS Ukraine, Institute of Electronic Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- USU, Uzhgorod State University
- IERT NAS Ukraine, Institute of Electrophysics ad Radiation Technologies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- NSC “KIPT” NAS Ukraine, National Science Center “Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology” of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- SSI “ISC” NAS Ukraine, State Scientific Institution “Institute for Single Crystals” of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- ISM NAS Ukraine, Institute for Scintillation Materials of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- KhNU, V.N.Karazin Kharkov National University
The Plenipotentiary representative of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine in JINR has been Boris V. Grinev, academician of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Director of the State Fund for Fundamental Research of Ukraine, since 15 December 2010.
01601, Ukraine, Kiev, Taras Shevchenko Blvd. 16
+380 (44) 287-82-21
Plenipotentiary representatives of the Government of Ukraine in JINR since 1992:
- Sergey M. Riabchenko, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Chairman of the State Committee of Science and engineering of Ukraine
- Vladimir E. Storizhko, academician of NAS Ukraine, Chairman of the State Committee of Science and engineering of Ukraine
- Ilia I. Zaliubovski, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Prorector of Kharkov State University
- Boris V. Grinev, corresponding member of NAS Ukraine, Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine
- Vadim S. Stogni, Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine, vice-chairman academic secretary of the Committee of State prizes of Ukraine in Science and
- Boris V. Grinev, academician of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Director of the State Fund for Fundamental Research of Ukraine.
- Anatoly G. Zagorodni, academician, vice-president of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Director of the Bogolubov Institute of Theoretical Physics NAS Ukraine.
- Gennady M. Zinoviev, Head of the Bogolubov Theoretical Physics Institute Detail NAS Ukraine.
According to the approved practice of referring Ukrainian citizens to job in JINR, candidates must an individual interview with a Plenipotentiary representative of the Government of Ukraine in JINR – Boris V. Grinev. Candidates must register to an interview in advance.
All candidates must have following original documents on them:
- Letter by a releasing organization of Ukraine addressed to a Plenipotentiary representative requesting to consider the possibility of referung to job in JINR;
- Extended biography;
- Workplan in JINR for a requested period of referral singed by a director of a JINR laboratory;
- List of published articles in foreign sources over the last 3 years.
Scanned copies must be sent by e-mail in advance.
Contact information for referral questions:
Ukraine, Kiev 01601, T. Shevchenko Blvd. 16
Tel. +38 (044) 287 82 21
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Dmitry V. Soloviev
Head of the national group of Ukraine, FLNP Scientific Reseacher
+7 (49621) 6-23-35
Viktor I. Petrenko
Deputy Head of the national group of Ukraine, FLNP Group Leader
+7 (49621) 6-49-88
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- New Year – 1 January
- Christmas – 7 January
- Day of Unity of Ukraine – 22 January
- Students’ Day (Tatiana Day) – 25 January
- International Women’s Day – 8 March
- Easter – Date of this Holiday is unique for each year.
- Labour Day – 1 May
- Victory Day – 9 May
- Day of Science in Ukraine – Third Saturday of May
- Europe’s Day in Ukraine – Third Saturday of May
- Day of Slavic Writing and Culture – 24 May
- Day of Constitution of Ukraine – 28 June
- St. John the Baptist – 7 July
- Day of Independence of Ukraine – 24 August, main state holiday of Ukraine
- On 26–30 May 2016, Kiev hosted the JINR Days. On 26 May, with participation of L.Kostov, Chairman of the JINR Committee of Plenipotentiaries, the opening of the exhibition devoted to the 60th anniversary of JINR was held at the Faculty of Physics of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
- On 26 May 2016, in the frames of the JINR Days in Ukraine an exhibition dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR was opened at the Faculty of Physics of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
- The International Symposium “Interaction of the governments and national scientific organizations with the international organizations aimed at development and application of scientific knowledge” was held on 19-20 October 2015 in Kiev
- The fifth Report Seminar of the National Group of Ukraine at JINR was held on 24-25 September 2015 in the International Conference Hall
- The Diploma of Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences was presented to the famous scientist in the fields of theoretical physics, Academician, Vice-President of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, member of the JINR Scientific Council Professor Anatoly Zagorodny on 28 January 2014 at the meeting of the RAS Presidium
- JINR Scientific Leader V.G. Kadyshevsky and Professor A.G. Olshevski participated in ceremonial events dedicated to the 20th anniversary of foundation of the International Association of Academies of Sciences and the 95th anniversary of its permanent Chairman President of the NAS of Ukraine Boris Eugenievich Paton, which were held in Kiev on 2–4 December 2013
- A delegation from Ukraine headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine to the Russian Federation Vladimir Yurievich Yelchenko visited the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research on 20 February 2013
- The second Report Seminar of the National Group of Ukraine at JINR was held at the FLNP convention hall on 19 November 2012
- A report seminar of the Ukrainian national group of JINR was held in the frames of days of Ukrainian Culture in JINR on 14 September 2011 in the JINR House of scientists
- The jubilee general meeting of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU) was held in Kiev on 21 September 2009. It was dedicated to the centenary of the birth of Academician N.N.Bogoliubov
- 16 July 2009. Boris E. Paton, president of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was awarded the JINR Bogoliubov Prize for significant contribution to science and international cooperation development. Academician of RAS Dmitry V. Shirokov, honorary LTP JINR director was awarded the prize for a significant contribution to theoretical physics and in particular for new methods development of quantum theory of field
- A presentation of the Diploma of foreign member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU) to Academician V.G.Kadyshevsky was held on 1 July 2009 at the International Conference Hall.
- On Friday, 19 December 2008, a representative delegation of Ukraine headed by the Ambassador of Ukraine to Russia, the First Deputy Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, Konstantin Gryshchenko represented Ukrain as and ambassador in the USA in 2000, 2003-2005 visited Dubna. The Plenipotentiary of the Government of Ukraine to JINR Vadim Stogniy arrived in Dubna together with the Ambassador.
- Following Russian President Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko issued a decree about the celebration of the centenary of the birth of the outstanding scientist, physicist-theorist and the founder of JINR scientific school Nikolay Bogolyubov on 11 December 2008
Contact Information on the Embassies of Ukraine
Address: 01601, Kiev, Shevchenko Blvd. 16
Tel.: +380 (44) 287-82-21 (receiving office of the Plenipotentiary representative of the Government of Ukraine)
Embassy of Ukraine in the Russian Federation:Address: 125009, Moscow, Leontievski lane, 18,
Tel: +7(495) 629 46 40 (receiving office of the Ambassador),
+7(495) 629 97 42, +7(495) 629 69 22 (Consular Department),
+7(495) 629 35 42, +7(495) 629 46 81 (Secretariat).
E-mail for communication with citizens: email@example.com
E-mail of Consular Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Russian Embassy in Ukraine: