JINR has bilateral agreements, protocols, and other documents on cooperation with more than 1000 institutions in 74 countries. The Institute also has extensive collaboration with international centres:
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization),
- CERN (European Organisation for Nuclear Research),
- CLAF (Latin-American Centre for Physics),
- ICTP (International Centre for Theoretical Physics) and research centres in France, USA, Japan and other countries.
JINR has special agreements concluded with:
- Germany (BMBF) in the field of theoretical physics, heavy ion physics and condensed matter physics;
- CERN in the field of high energy physics;
- IN2P3 (France) in the field of nuclear and particle physics;
- C.E.A. (France) in the field of radionuclide metrology;
- INFN (Italy) in the field of nuclear and particle physics;
- Fermilab, BNL, LLNL and other research centres in USA;
- Hungary (KFKI) in the field of condensed matter physics.
JINR also cooperates with institutions and research centres in Russia:
- Russian Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, including IHEP (Protvino), PNPI (St. Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute), ITEP (Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics).
- INP (Institute of Nuclear Physics, Moscow).
- BINP (Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics, Novosibirsk) and other research centres.