JINR has bilateral agreements, protocols, and other documents on cooperation with more than 1000 institutions in 74 countries. The Institute also has extensive collaboration with international centres:
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization),
- CERN (European Organisation for Nuclear Research),
- CLAF (Latin-American Centre for Physics),
- ICTP (International Centre for Theoretical Physics) and research centres in France, USA, Japan and other countries.
JINR has special agreements concluded with:
- Germany (BMBF) in the field of theoretical physics, heavy ion physics and condensed matter physics;
- CERN in the field of high energy physics;
- IN2P3 (France) in the field of nuclear and particle physics;
- C.E.A. (France) in the field of radionuclide metrology;
- INFN (Italy) in the field of nuclear and particle physics;
- Fermilab, BNL, LLNL and other research centres in USA;
- Hungary (KFKI) in the field of condensed matter physics.
JINR also cooperates with institutions and research centres in Russia:
- Russian Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, including IHEP (Protvino), PNPI (St. Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute), ITEP (Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics).
- INP (Institute of Nuclear Physics, Moscow).
- BINP (Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics, Novosibirsk) and other research centres.
On 22 November 2021, at the session of the Committee of Plenipotentiary Representatives of the Governments of the JINR Member States held in Bulgaria, a Declaration was adopted to highlight the value of international scientific and technological integration in solving the tasks of strengthening peace, mutual understanding, and socio-economic progress of all the countries.The Sofia Declaration