General information on collaboration
The history of Georgian scientists in JINR activity starts with the foundation of Dubna International Scientific Centre. Albert N. Tavhelidze (1930-2010), academician in future, president of the Academy of Sciences of Georgia, became a research scientist of Laboratory of Theoretical Physics in 1956. A.N.Tavkhelidze is that person who laid the ground works and then prioritised and evaluated the activity of many Georgian scientists participation in life of the International Institute. The process of a Georgian physicist new school formation in Dubna and a formation of theoreticians and experimentalists, who significantly contributed to numerous JINR scientific programmes, starts just from then on. Their researches are honoured with State awards, and the world scientific society highly appreciated their merits. The prominent representatives of this school continues working today not only in Dubna, but also at many laboratories of the world.
Experts from leading Georgian institutes developed and did collaborative experiments on JINR basic laboratory facilities after many years of cooperation. Theoretical projects in nuclear physics field and elementary particle fundamental interaction physics were also done then. The new stage of Georgia-JINR collaboration has started since 1992, when Georgia became a self-sustained state and a JINR member state after important historical changes. Academician Nodar S. Amaglobeli (1930-2004), physicist-experimentalist, became the first JINR Plenipotentiary representative of the government of Georgia. He started his scientific way with postgraduate course in Dubna, then he became a participant and organiser of many huge scientific experiments done in the Institute together with Georgian experts.
Today theoretical and experimental physics of high energy, computing and computational physics are top research areas of Georgian experts. The Georgian scientists work at the basic JINR facilities and participate in widely represented international JINR projects.
At present JINR collaborates and keeps in touch with research institutes of Georgia on 10 themes of a Topic-based kind. Research Institute of Physics of High Energy, Razmadze Mathematics Institute, Andronikashvili Physics Institute of Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Cybernetics Institute of Technical University of Georgia and Georgia University are among those institutes.
Data on number of JINR staff members from Georgia
|Total, including family members||37 (0)||46 (8)||37 (6)||29 (6)||26 (5)||28 (6)||25 (4)||23 (3)|
Data on number of JINR staff members from Georgia
|Business trips (including conferences.)||7 (1)||17 (0)||16 (1)||30 (3)||23 (3)||16 (5)||16 (1)||29 (2)||20 (0)|
* participats of JINR meetings are not included
Professor Viktor V. Ivanov
Executive of the contacts with Georgia, Senior Scientific Reseacher of LIT JINR
+7 (49621) 6-48-87
The scientists of Georgia take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of fundamental ineractions”
Leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov (LTP),
from the part of Georgia: V.R. Gersevanishvili (Razmadze Mathematics Institute Georgia Academy of Sciences); S.A. Gogilidze (Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University);
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
“CMS. Compact Muon Solenoid on LCH”,
Leaders: A.V. Zarubin, I.A. Golutvin (LPHE),
from the part of Georgia: Z. Tsamalaidze (Institute of Physics of High Energy of Tbilisi State University); V. Poinishvily (Andronikashvili Physics Institute);
“ATLAS. Facility modernisation and physical researches on LHC”,
leaders: V.A. Bedniakov (DLNP),
from the part of Georgia: T. Dgobava (Institute of Physics of High Energy Tbilisi State University);
“Search of new physics in experiments on copious Fermilab muon beams”
Leader V.V. Glagoliev,
from the part of Georgia: D.Sh. Choheli (Institute of Physics of High Energy Tbilisi State University);
“JINR Experimental base development for copious ion beams and polarised nuclei to find mixed phase of nuclear matter and to research polarization effect in energy area up to √sNN = 11 GaV/n”,
leaders: A.S. Sorin, V.D. Kekelidze (LTP, LPHE),
from the part of Georgia: D.L. Chkareuli (Andronikashvili Physics Institute), D.Tavkhelidze, A.I. Prangishvili
“Research development of accelerator system and colliders of new-generation for fundamental and applied purposes”, Leader: G.D. Shirokov, from the part of Georgia: D.I. Khubua (IPHE-TSU);
- Nuclear physics
“Researches in neutron nuclear physics field”,
leader: V.N. Shvetsov (LNP),
from the part of Georgia: G. Japaridze (Andronikashvili Physics Institute), Sh. Shetekauri (TSU).
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR”,
Leader: V.V. Korenkov (LIT),
from the part of Georgia: A. Prangishvili, Z. Modebadze, A. Elizbarashvili (GTU), R. Quatadze (GRENA)
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”,
Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov,
from the part of Georgia: I. Lomidze (TSU), G. Georgadze (TSU), S. Gogilidze (SU);
At present JINR collaborates actively with the following scientific organizations of Georgia:
- Georgian Research and Educational Networking Association
- Institute of Cybernetics of Academy of Sciences of Georgia
- Razmadze Mathematics Institute of Academy of Sciences of Georgia
- Andronikashvily Physics Institute
- Institute of Physics of High Energy Tbilisi State University
- Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
At present, the Plenipotentiary Representative of the Government of Georgia to JINR is Arsen Khevelidze, Director of the Institute of Quantum Physics and Engineering Technology of the Georgian Technical University.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of Georgia in JINR since 1992:
- Nodar Amaglobeli, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Georgia, Professor, Director of the Institute of Physics of High Energy Tbilisi State University;
- Albert Tavkhelidze, RAS Academician, Scientific Leader и Head of the Department of Theoretical Physics of the Institute for Nuclear Research, RAS (Moscow);
- Arsen Khevelidze, Director of the Institute of Quantum Physics and Engineering Technology of the Georgian Technical University.
2010 – present day
At present, Merab Eliashvili, Head of the Department of theretical physics in the Razmadze Mathematics Institute of the Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, is a Member of the JINR Scientific Council.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Head of the national group of Georgia, Senior Scientific Researcher of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
+7 (49621) 6-39-08
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.
The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- 1, 2 January – New Year
- 7 January – Christmas
- 19 January – Epiphany
- 3 March – Mother’s Day
- 8 March – International Women’s Day
- 9 April – Day Restoration of Independence
- Orthodox Easter Holidays (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday)
- 9 May – Day of Victory over Fascism
- 12 May – St. Andrew the First Called Day
- 26 May – Day of Independence
- 28 August – Assumption Day
- 14 October – Mtskheta’ Day
- 23 November – St. Georg’s Day
- A Memorial Seminar devoted to Academician A.N.Tavkhelidze will be held on 22 December 2015 in the JINR Club of Scientists.
- The International Conference Devoted to the Memory of Academician A.Tavkhelidze «Challenges in Contemporary Elementary Particle Physics and Quantum Field Theory» was held on 30 October – 1 November 2015 in Tbilisi, Georgia
- From 28 to 30 May 2015 JINR Days were held in Tbilisi (Georgia) dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR
- A meeting of Head of Science Department, Pro-rector of the newly established University of Georgia Professor I.R.Lomidze and Acting JINR Plenipotentiary of Georgia Doctor A.M.Khvedelidze and JINR Acting Director M.G.Itkis was held in the JINR Directorate on 27 June 2011.
- A festive evening dedicated to the Independence Day of Georgia was held on 27 May 2011 in the JINR Cultural Centre “Mir”.
- On 3 March 2010, a documentary film about the great Georgian movie and theatre actress Sofiko Chiaureli which is widely known to the Russian audience was demonstated in the Public Library of JINR.
Contact Information on the Embassies
Georgian Interests Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in the Russian Federation:
- 121069 Moscow, Maly Rzhevski lane 6, Embassy of Switzerland in the Russian Federation, Georgian Interests Section
Embassy of Switzerland in the Russian Federation, Consular of Georgian Interests Section:
- 119034 Moscow, Ostojenka street 26, Embassy of Switzerland in the Russian Federation, Consular of Georgian Interests Section
The Russian Federation Interests Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in Georgia
- 0162, Georgia, Tbilisi, I. Chavchavadze av. 51 The Russian Federation Interests Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in Georgia