General information on collaboration
The Republic of Bulgaria (till 1992 as People’s Republic of Bulgaria) joined JINR since its foundation according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956 in Moscow. People’s Republic of Bulgaria was presented as PRB Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary in USSR on the day of signing by Doctor Luben Nikilov Gerasimov, who received signing authority of the JINR Council.
At present, the Republic of Bulgaria is one of the main member states according to participation capacity in JINR activity, to collaborative works quantity and scientific-technical links quantity. Today 26 Bulgarian experts works in JINR. The main part of scientists dealt with JINR collaborative works does researches in Bulgarian universities and in Institutes of Bulgaria Academy of Sciences with JINR technics and developments. They visit Dubna on short-term business trips.
The qualification of Bulgarian experts allows them to get remarkable positions in JINR scientific teams. Academician Ch. Christov (1968-1970), professor I. Zlatev (1979-1983) and professor C. Vilov (1992-2005) were chosen on the position of JINR vice-directors. Hundreds of Bulgarian scientists have worked and gotten high qualification in Dubna laboratories. Today they are a core of Bulgarian nuclear physics.
The collaboration exists in all fields of JINR activity, however, it is of high priority in elementary particle physics and relativistic nuclear physics. A theme of Laboratory of High Energy Physics, Laboratory of Nuclear Problems and JINR Laboratory of Theoretical Physics is of the utmost interest for Bulgarian scientists. Radiation and radiobiological researches have attracted Bulgarian scientists for the last years. Here they actively take part.
JINR conferences have been held in Bulgaria for many years. Some of them (International symposium on Nuclear Electronics and Computing (NEC) is held in Varna each two years) have become traditional.
Professor Vladimir Dimitrievich Kekelidze
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Bulgaria, Director of the Laboratory of High Energy Physics
+7 (49621) 6-58-15
+7 (49621) 6-53-06
The scientists of Bulgaria take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation on 10 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 5 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 4 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme
At present JINR collaborates with 17 scientific institutes and universities of Bulgaria. The most actively JINR collaborates with following organisations and universities:
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Bulgaria in JINR from 2013 is Doctor Lchasar Krumov Kostov appointed by Chairman of Office for Nuclear Regulation at the direction of the Council of Ministers dated 4 July 2013.
Doctor Lchasar Kostov was born on 11 October 1953 in Sofia. He has worked at Institute for Nuclear Research and Energy BAS since 1978. During August 1996 – April 1997 he was a Chairman of Committee on Use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purposes and a Plenipotentiary representative of Bulgaria in JINR. In 2006 was appointed to a vice-chairman of ONR and was authorized to participate in the Committee of Plenipotentiaries in JINR.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Bulgaria in JINR since 1956:
- Gerasimov Lyuben Nikolov, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Bulgaria in the USSR;
- Nadjakov Georgi Stefanov, Academician of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Director of the Institute of Physics, BAS;
- Christov Christo Yankov, Academician of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Director of the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy, BAS;
- Vankov Ivan Danailov, Professor, Chairman of the Scientific Council of the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy, BAS;
- Yanev Yanko, Associate Professor, Chairman of the Committee on Use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purposes;
- Kostov Latchesar, Chairman of the Committee on Use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purposes;
- Stamenov Jordan Nikolov, Professor, Director of the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy, BAS;
- Popits Robert Kurt, Chairman of the Committee on Use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purpose;
- Vapirev Emil, Chairman of the Committee on Use of Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purpose;
- Tzotchev Sergei, Chairman of the Bulgarian Nuclear Regulatory Agency;
- Kostov Latchesar, Chairman of the Bulgarian Nuclear Regulatory Agency.
1957 – 1970
1970 – 1989
1990 – 1995
1996 – 1997
1998 – 2001
2001 – 2004
2004 – 2013
2013 – present day
Chavdar Penev Stoyanov, BAS corresponding member, Professor of the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy BAS in Sofia.
Chavdar Penev Stoyanov was born in 1944. Doctor of Science, BAS Corresponding Member since 2004, Vice-Chairman of the Scientific Council of INRNE BAS, Director of the Nuclear Spectroscopy Laboratory INRE BAS, Member of the Collaboration Committee with JINR.
Topics of research work
Theoretical nuclear physics, microscopic models for nuclear atom structure description.
Nikolay Stoychev Tonchev was born on 28 December 1946 in Sofia. Doctor of Science, Director of the Low temperature physics laboratory, Chairman of the Scientific Council of ISSP BAS, Vice-Chairman of the Physicists Union in Bulgaria, Member of the Collaboration Committee with JINR.
Topics of research work
Statistical physics, theory of phase transitions, theory of critical phenomena in finite systems.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Professor Fiziev Plamen Petkov
Head of the national group of Bulgaria, Leading Scientific Reseacher, BLTP JINR
+7 (926) 187-35-37
Marinova Boiana Rumenova
Deputy Head of the national group of Bulgaria, Scientific Reseacher, VBLHEP JINR
+7 (965) 142-31-88
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.
The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- New Year, St. Vasyli’s Day – 1 January;
- Liberation of Bulgaria – 3 March;
- Labour Day – 1 May;
- Day of Courage and Bulgarian Military (St. George’s Day) – 6 May;
- Day of Bulgarian education and culture and of Slavic writing – 24 May;
- Unification Day – 6 September;
- Day of Independence of Bulgaria – 22 September;
- Christmas Eve – 24 December;
- Christmas – 25-26 December.
- 24 May 2017, Opening of the exhibition “Lion – the Bulgarian national symbol of the Renaissance”
- On 21 March 2017, Bulgarian staff members of JINR invite their colleagues and friends to the JINR Cultural Centre “Mir” to take part in the celebration devoted to the Day of Liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman yoke
- The Days of Bulgarian cinema in JINR is being held on 15 – 19 November 2016 in the JINR Cultural Centre “Mir”
- 19th Annual RDMS CMS Collaboration Conference was held on 6-11 September 2016 in Varna, Bulgaria
- The JINR Days in Bulgaria, the founder country of JINR, were opened today, on 7 April 2016, in Sofia, in the Museum of the Human and Nature
- The International Symposium on Exotic Nuclei was held on 6-12 September 2015 in Varna, Bulgaria
- The 11th European School of High-Energy Physics was held on 2-15 September 2015 in Bansko, Bulgaria
- The 18th International RDMS CMS Collaboration Conference was held in Varna (Bulgaria) on 24-29 August 2015
- The JINR Days in Bulgaria were held on 19-22 May 2015 in the “Borovets” Complex, Bulgaria
- The 7th Spring School on Nuclear Physics “JINR Days in Bulgaria” was held on 13-16 May 2014 at the Bulgarian skiing resort Borovets
- At the invitation of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS), Sofia University “St.Kliment Ohridski”, the Regulatory Agency on Nuclear Energy of Bulgaria, the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy, BAS (INRNE BAS), an official visit of JINR Director Academician V.Matveev to the Republic of Bulgaria was held on 9-11 April 2014
- The JINR Days in Bulgaria were held on 10-13 October 2013. JINR Vice-Director Professor Mikhail Itkis, Directors of JINR laboratories Professor Viktor Voronov (BLTP), Professor Vladimir Kekelidze (VBLHEP) and Professor Valery Shvetsov (FLNP) attended this event
- The 6th Students school on nuclear physics In Blagoevgrad organized by the Nuclear Regulatory Agency of Bulgaria, the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and the BAS Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy in cooperation with the South-West University “Neofit Rilski” was held on 14-16 May 2013 in the frames of the JINR days in Bulgaria
- A delegation from JINR consisting of V.V.Voronov, I.A.Golutvin, D.V. Kamanin, V.I.Korobov, V.N.Shvetsov participated in ceremonial events dedicated to the 40th anniversary of the Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy (INRNE) on 18-19 October 2012 in Sofia
- The 5th traditional school for young scientists, which was timed to the JINR Days in Bulgaria, was held on 15–18 May 2012 in Blagoevgrad (Bulgaria)
- The Diploma of Foreign Member of the Bulgarian Academy of Science was presented to Academician V.G.Kadyshevsky on 27 May 2010
- 13 November 2009. JINR Chief Engineer G.D.Shirkov and JINR Directorate Advisor P.N.Bogolubov took part in a grand meeting dedicated to the centenary of the birth of Academician N.N.Bogoliubov
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in Bulgaria: