General information on collaboration
The Republic of Kazakhstan, as a part of the USSR, has joined JINR since its foundation according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956. As a sovereign republic, Kazakhstan has been member-state of JINR since 1992.
Employees of the Institute of Nuclear physics and Alma-Ata Physical-Technical Institutes came to the JINR laboratories, and experts of Dubna came in Kazakhstan. An International business JINR meeting for GIBS facility was held in 1987 near Alma-Ata at sports complex Medeo. INP (Alma-Ata) took active part in organising of this event.
Kazakhstani scientists productively collaborate with JINR, and with JINR they both take part in huge international programmes on modern nuclear physics. Kazakhstani physicists visit Dubna, and JINR employees come to Kazakhstan on short-term business trips according to the cooperation.
Kazakhstani physicists directly participate in experiments at accelerator complex nuclotron- synchrophasotron LPHE in non-nucleon freedom and spin effect process in few-nucleon systems. The also take part in researches on heavy ion physics at accelerator complex LNR and in theoretical researches.
Collaborative works are done in particle and nucleus field, collaborative researches of nuclei properties and reaction mechanisms under heavy ions, researches on fundamental interactions in nuclei under low energy are done. Radioanalytical and radioisotopic researches are done at accelerators LNP, researches of numerous processes in 4p-geometry conditions, researches of nuclear matter properties and structural particle properties at a collider of relativistic nuclei and polarised protons.
Kazakhstani physicists participate in accelerator development for radiation technologies and in development of experimental JINR base for copious beams of heavy ions process and polarised nuclei process. Collaborative works on mathematical support of experimental and theoretical researches held in JINR are also done.
Cyclotron DC-60 was developed by the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions together with the Institute of Nuclear Physics SNC RK, and was delivered, launched and refined in Kazakhstan for Gumilev Eurasian National University (Astana). A project on accelerator DC-350 creation for superheavy element synthesis in Alma-Ata is being developed.
The Kazakhstani National University takes part in JINR educational programme. A quadruple agreement for collaborative nuclear physics training of bachelors and masters signed in November 2009 in Astana will allow students of Gumilev Eurasian National University to study at a nuclear physics department of the Dubna University with the experimental base of Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions for training.
Students of Dubna will have an opportunity to have a pre-graduation practical training at the base of accelerator DC-60 and to defend a diploma at ENU.
Over the last years, many Kazakhstani young experts got a valuable practical experience in the JINR laboratories.
Many of them became Candidates and Doctors of Science, some of them were appointed to corresponding members and to academicians of the Academy of Science of Kazakhstan, and now they are the leaders of scientific teams. 7 dissertations including 6 doctoral and 1 candidate were defended by Kazakhstani experts in JINR only over a period of 1995-2010.
The productive scientific collaboration between Kazakhstani physicists and JINR scientists is strengthening and widening.
With this collaboration new opportunities of direct contacts development with the largest scientific accelerator centres in the world are opened for Kazakhstan scientists.
Sergey N. Dmitriev
Manager of the JINR contacts with the Republic of Kazakhstan, Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions
+7 (49621) 6-58-58
+7 (49621) 6-21-92
+7 (49621) 6-21-59
The scientists of Kazakhstan take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of fundamental interactions”, leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov (LTP), from the part of Kazakhstan: E.G. Michelkin (FAI), N.Zh. Takibaev (INP NNC RK), Ph. M. Penkov (INP NNC RK), M.V. Zdorovets (AINP);
“Theory of Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Reactions” Leaders: V.V. Voronov, A.I. Vdovin, N.V. Antonenko (LTP), from the part of Kazakhstan: Ph.M. Penkov, P.M. Krasovitski (INP NNC RK).
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
“Researches of relativistic heavy and light ion physics at Nuclotron , SPS and SIS18”, leader: A.I. Malahov, from the part of Kazakhstan: A.Sh. Gaitinov, N.N. Hurgozhin (PTI ME NAS RK);
“Research of nuclear matter properties and a structure of particles at collider of relativistic nuclei and polarised protons”, leaders: R. Lednicki, J.A. Panebratsev (LPHE), from the part of Kazakhstan: N.I. Kochelev, E.Potrebennikova (PTI ME NAS RK).
- Nuclear physics
«Accelerator complex of ion beams of stable and radioactive nuclides (DRIBs-III), leaders: G.G. Gulbekian, S.N. Dmitriev, M.G. Itkis, J.Ts. Oganesian (LNR), from the part of Kazakhstan: E.A. Kenzhin, E.G. Batirbekov, P.A. Oreshkin, A.V. Platov, T.N. Kvochkina, K.V. Koralchuk (INP NNC RK), M.V. Zdorovets, M.V. Koloberdin (AINP NNC RK);
“Synthesis and nuclei properties on stability boundaries”, leaders: M.G. Itkis, J.Ts. Oganesian (FLNR), from the part of Kazakhstan: E.G. Batirbekov, T.N. Kvochkina (INP NNC RK), K.A. Kuterbekov (ENU);
“Non-accelerative neutrino physics and astrophysics”, leaders: V.B. Brudanin, A. Kovalik, E.A. Jakushev (DLNP), from the part of Kazakhstan: S.V. Zhdanov, Ph.M. Penkov, J.Zh. Tuleushev (INP NNC RK).
“Analyses of Neutron Nuclear Physics”, leader: V.N. Shvetsov (LHEP), from the part of Kazakhstan: V.N. Glushchenko (INP), A.C. Chutsin (ARC Ecology).
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Research of condensed substance state with use of modern neutron diffraction techniques”, leaders; D.P. Koslenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov, from the part of Kazakhstan: L.L. Bozhko (RII).
“Radiation effects and nanotechnology fundamentals, and radioanalytical and radioisotopic researches at FLNR accelerators”, leaders: S.N. Dmitriev, P.J. Apel (FLNR), from the part of Kazakhstan: E.A. Kenzhin, E.G. Batirbekov, P.A. Oreshkin, A.V. Platov, T.N. Kvochkina, , K.V. Koralchuk (INP NNC RK), A. Volkov (NU), A. Dauletbekov (ENU), M.V. Zdorovets, M.V. Koloberdin (AINP).
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”. Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov (LIT), from the part of Kazakhstan: P.M. Krasovitski, K.A. Kuterbekov, Ph.M. Penkov (INP NNC RK), T. Sadikov (PTI ME NAS RK).
- Educational Programme
“Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme”, leader: V.A. Matveev, S.Z. Pakuliak (UC), from the part of Kazakhstan: K.K. Kadirzhanov.
At present JINR collaborates most actively with the following scientific organizations of Kazakhstan:
- Institute of Nuclear Physics of the National Nuclear Centre of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
- Physical-Technical Institute of the Ministry of Education and Science of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Gumilev Eurasian National University
- Scientific Research Institute of Experimental and Technical Physics of Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (SRIETP)
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR since June 2017 to the present day is Ergazy Kenzhin, Corresponding Member of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Ergazy Kenzhin was born in 1961 in the Semipalatinsk region. In 1984 he graduated from the Tomsk Polytechnic Institute with a degree in engineering physics. Candidate of physical and mathematical sciences.
He started his career in 1982. In different years he worked in research centers, including the Institute of Atomic Energy of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan, starting from the position of senior research fellow of the laboratory (1994) to the Deputy Director General for Atomic Energy (2013). Then he worked at the Scientific and Technical Center “Safety of Nuclear Technologies” (2013-2015).
Since 2015, he works at the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Currently holds the position of General Director.
He was awarded with medals in honor of the 10th anniversary of the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the 10th anniversary of Astana, the 25th anniversary of Independence of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of Republic of Kazakhstan since 1992:
1992 – 2000
- Vladimir Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan;
- Kairat Kadirzhanov, Professor, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, CEO of the National Nuclear Centre of the Republic of Kazakhstan, winner of the State prize of the RK.
- Ergazy Kenzhin, Corresponding Member of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2000 – 2017
2017 – present day
Maxim Zdorovets, director of the Astana Branch of the Institute of Nuclear Physics, has been a Member of the JINR Scientific Council since 2017.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Damir T. Aznabaev
The head of the national group of Kazakhstan, junior research scientist LTP JINR
+7 (49621) 6-44-13
Aidos N. Isadikov
Deputy director of the national group of Kazakhstan, junior research scientist LTP JINR
+7 (49621) 6-44-13
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
Upon an initiative of Azerbaijanian, Kazakh and Uzbek national groups in JINR, spring holiday Novruz-Meirami is annually celebrated with its eastern colour. Obviously, there are tasty bawyrsaks, Kazakh eti and pilaf.
Main national holidays of Kazakhstan:
- New Year – 1-2 January;
- Christmas – 7 January;
- Day of Gratitude – 1 March;
- International Women’s Day – 8 March;
- Novruz-Meirami – 21, 22 and 23 March;
- Day of Unity of Kazakhstan People – 1 May;
- Defender’s Day – 7 May;
- Victory Day – 9 May;
- Capital’s Day – 6 July;
- Day of Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan – 30 August;
- Kurban-Ait – 10 Dhu al-Hijjah – 12 September (in 2016);
- Day of the First President – 1 December.
- Independence Day – 16-17 December.
- On 12 September 2017, a delegation of leaders of JINR arrived to Almaty for participation in the International Scientific Forum «Nuclear Science and Technologies», dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- From 14 to 18 June 2016, festive events dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR and the 10th anniversary of the launching the DC-60 heavy-ion accelerator created with the participation of employees of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR were held in Astana, the capital of the JINR Member State the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- On 22 April 2016, JINR welcomed a delegation from its sister city of Kurchatov (Kazakhstan) headed by akim Nurbol Nurgaliyev accompanied by Deputy Director General for Science of the Institute of Atomic Energy of the National Nuclear Center of Kazakhstan Маzhyn Skakov and Chairman of Management Board of the JSC “Park of Nuclear Technologies” Alexander Borisenko.
- A new agreement on training of students from Kazakhstan in the University “Dubna” was signed on 23 June 2013 in the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan).
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan Karim Massimov visited the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research on 11 July 2011.
- On 15-17 May 2011,JINR received a delegation from the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan) headed by B.Zh. Abdiraiym.
- A guest session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States was held in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana on 19–21 November 2009.
- Rector of the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University B.Zh.Abdraimov, Rector of the University «Dubna» D.V.Fursaev, JINR Director Academician A.N.Sissakian and Director of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan Academician K.K.Kadyrzhanov endorsed the quadripartite agreement on joint training of bachelors and masters of nuclear physics on 19 November 2009 in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana.
- “The object of research is the Semipalatinsk test site”. JINR weekly newspaper, №51 от 25 December 2009
- “Russia – Kazakhstan: on space orbits”. JINR weekly newspaper, №49 от 11 December 2009
- “JINR Accelerator in Kazakhstan”. JINR weekly newspaper, №40 от 29 September 2006
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan: