General information on collaboration
The Republic of Kazakhstan, as part of USSR, joined JINR at its founding, according to the Agreement signed on 26 March 1956. As a sovereign republic, Kazakhstan has been a JINR Member State since 1992.
Staff members of the Institute of Nuclear Physics and the Almaty Physical Technical Institute have worked at the JINR laboratories. Dubna specialists visited Kazakhstan as well. The international JINR business meeting for the GIBS facility was held in 1987 near Alma-Ata at the sports complex Medeo. The INP (Alma-Ata) took an active part in organising this event.
Kazakhstani scientists have been successfully collaborating with JINR and participated in major international projects in various areas of modern nuclear physics jointly with JINR researchers. Kazakhstani physicists regularly visit Dubna, and JINR researchers make short-term trips to Kazakhstan as part of such collaborative projects.
Kazakhstani physicists take an active part in experiments at the VBLHEP nuclotron-synchrophasotron accelerator complex focusing on non-nucleon freedom and spin effect processes in few-nucleon systems. They have also contributed to research on heavy ion physics undertaken at the FLNR accelerator complex as well as to theoretical research in this area.
Ongoing joint projects include research in the fields of particle and nucleus theories, collaborative research on nuclei properties and reaction mechanisms under heavy ions as well as research on fundamental interactions in nuclei under low energy. Radioanalytical and radioisotopic research projects are undertaken at FLNR accelerators as well as research on various processes in 4π-geometry conditions, research on nuclear matter properties and structural particle properties, at a collider of relativistic nuclei and polarised protons.
Kazakhstani physicists participate in the development of accelerator for radiation technologies and have been working at JINR on the development of an experimental base for copious beams of heavy ion process and polarised nuclei process. They have also been involved in collaborative work on mathematical support of experimental and theoretical research held in JINR.
The DC-60 Cyclotron was developed by the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions together with the Institute of Nuclear Physics SNC RK and then was delivered, launched and debugged in Kazakhstan for the Gumilev Eurasian National University (Astana). The DC-350 accelerator creation project for superheavy element synthesis in Alma-Ata is now underway.
The Kazakhstani National University takes an active part in the JINR educational programme. A four-party agreement for collaborative nuclear physics training of bachelor and master students, signed in November 2009 in Astana, allows students of the Gumilev Eurasian National University to study at the Nuclear Physics and the Theoretical Physics Departments of the Dubna University and use the experimental basis of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions for training.
Students in Dubna have an opportunity to have a pre-graduation practical training at the DC-60 accelerator and to defend their theses at ENU.
Over the past few years, many Kazakhstani young experts got valuable practical experience at JINR laboratories.
Many of them became Candidates and Doctors of Sciences and some were appointed as corresponding members and academicians of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan. Nowadays, they work in the leading scientific teams. 7 dissertations, including 6 doctoral and 1 candidate, have been defended by Kazakhstani experts at JINR only between 1995 and 2010.
Scientific collaboration and ties between Kazakhstani physicists and JINR scientists have been strengthening.
Such collaboration provides new opportunities to Kazakhstani scientists for establishing direct contacts with some of the largest scientific accelerator centres in the world.
Sergey N. Dmitriev
Manager, JINR contacts with Republic of Kazakhstan; Director,Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions
+7 (49621) 6-58-58
+7 (49621) 6-21-92
+7 (49621) 6-21-59
The scientists of Kazakhstan take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2020:
- Theoretical Physics
“Fundamental Interactions of Fields and Particles”,
leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov (LTP),
from the part of Kazakhstan: E.G. Michelkin (FAI), N.Zh. Takibaev (INP NNC RK), Ph. M. Penkov (INP NNC RK), M.V. Zdorovets (AINP);
“Theory of Nuclear Systems”
Leaders: N.V. Antonenko, S.N. Ershov, A.A. Dzhioev,
from the part of Kazakhstan: Ph.M. Penkov, P.M. Krasovitski (INP NNC RK).
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
“Experiment COMET at J-PARC”,
leader: Z. Tsamalaidze,
from the part of Kazakhstan: M.V. Zdorovets;
“Research on Relativistic Heavy and Light Ion Physics. Experiments at the Accelerator Complex Nuclotron NICA at JINR and CERN SPS”,
leader: A.I. Malahov,
from the part of Kazakhstan: A.Sh. Gaitinov, N.N. Hurgozhin (PTI ME NAS RK);
“Research of nuclear matter properties and a structure of particles at collider of relativistic nuclei and polarised protons”,
leaders: R. Lednicki, J.A. Panebratsev (LPHE),
from the part of Kazakhstan: N.I. Kochelev, E.Potrebennikova (PTI ME NAS RK).
- Nuclear physics
«Development of the FLNR Accelerator Complex and Experimental Setups (DRIBS-III),
leaders: G.G. Gulbekian, S.N. Dmitriev, M.G. Itkis,
from the part of Kazakhstan: M.V. Zdorovets, M.V. Koloberdin (INP, BA INP);
“Synthesis and Properties of Superheavy Elements, Structure of Nuclei at the Limits of Nucleon Stability”,
leaders: M.G. Itkis,
from the part of Kazakhstan: N.Burtebaev, T.N. Kvochkina (INP NNC RK), K.A. Kuterbekov (ENU);
“Non-accelerative neutrino physics and astrophysics”,
leaders: V.B. Brudanin, A. Kovalik, E.A. Jakushev (DLNP),
from the part of Kazakhstan: S.V. Zhdanov, Ph.M. Penkov, J.Zh. Tuleushev (INP NNC RK);
“Analyses of Neutron Nuclear Physics”,
leader: V.N. Shvetsov (LHEP),
from the part of Kazakhstan: V.N. Glushchenko (INP), A.C. Chutsin (ARC Ecology), N.Omarova.
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Research of condensed substance state with use of modern neutron diffraction techniques”,
leaders: D.P. Koslenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov,
from the part of Kazakhstan: N.Burtebaev, E.A. Kenzhin (INP), L.L. Bozhko (RII).
“Radiation effects and nanotechnology fundamentals, and radioanalytical and radioisotopic researches at FLNR accelerators”,
leaders: S.N. Dmitriev, P.J. Apel (FLNR),
from the part of Kazakhstan: M.V. Zdorovets, A.T. Akalbekov, A.V. Tikhonov, Zh. Utegulov, B.N. Mukashev, Kislitsyn S.B. (INP, RII).
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR”
Leader: V.V. Korenkov,
from the part of Kazakhstan: M.V. Zdorovets, M.I. Mazhitov, E.A. Kenzhin;
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”
Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov (LIT),
from the part of Kazakhstan: P.M. Krasovitski, K.A. Kuterbekov, Ph.M. Penkov (INP NNC RK), T. Sadikov (PTI ME NAS RK).
- Educational Programme
“Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme”,
leader: V.A. Matveev, S.Z. Pakuliak (UC),
from the part of Kazakhstan: K.K. Kadirzhanov, E.D. Sydykov, D. Aznabaev.
At present JINR collaborates most actively with the following scientific organizations of Kazakhstan:
- Institute of Nuclear Physics of the National Nuclear Centre of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
- Physical-Technical Institute of the Ministry of Education and Science of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Gumilev Eurasian National University
- Scientific Research Institute of Experimental and Technical Physics of Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (SRIETP)
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR since June 2017 to the present day is Ergazy Kenzhin, Corresponding Member of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Ergazy Kenzhin was born in 1961 in the Semipalatinsk region. In 1984 he graduated from the Tomsk Polytechnic Institute with a degree in engineering physics. Candidate of physical and mathematical sciences.
He started his career in 1982. In different years he worked in research centres, including the Institute of Atomic Energy of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan, starting from the position of senior research fellow of the laboratory (1994) to the Deputy Director General for Atomic Energy (2013). Then he worked at the Scientific and Technical Center “Safety of Nuclear Technologies” (2013-2015).
Since 2015, he works at the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Currently holds the position of Director-General.
He was awarded medals in honour of the 10th anniversary of the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the 10th anniversary of Astana, the 25th anniversary of Independence of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR since 1992:
1992 – 2000
- Vladimir Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan;
- Kairat Kadirzhanov, Professor, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, CEO of the National Nuclear Centre of the Republic of Kazakhstan, winner of the State prize of the RK;
- Ergazy Kenzhin, Corresponding Member of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2000 – 2017
2017 – present day
Maxim Zdorovets, director of the Astana Branch of the Institute of Nuclear Physics, has been a Member of the JINR Scientific Council since 2017.
Members of the Scientific Council from Kazakhstan since 1992 were:
1992 – 1993
- Mikhail G. Itkis, Chief Researcher of the Institute of Nuclear Physics (INP) of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Deputy Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions of JINR;
- Nogerbek N. Nurgozhin, Chief of the Laboratory of Electronic Experiments, the Institute of High Energy Physcis KAS;
- Vladimir N. Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President KAS;
- Aset A. Chumbalov, Researcher of the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics, JINR;
- Arigam Sh. Gaitinov, Director of the Laboratory of Relativistic Nuclear Physics of INP KAS;
- Mikhail G. Itkis, Chief Researcher of the Institute of INP KAS, Deputy Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions of JINR;
- Vladimir N. Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan;
- Alnur Duisebaev, Director of the Laboratory of Nuclear Processes, the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the National Nuclear Centre of Kazakhstan;
- Maxim V. Zdorovets, Director of the Astana Branch of the Institute of Nuclear Physics.
1995 – 1996
1997 – 2003
2003 – 2017
2017 – present day
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Damir T. Aznabaev
The head of the national group of Kazakhstan, junior research scientist LTP JINR
+7 (49621) 6-44-13
Aidos N. Isadikov
Deputy director of the national group of Kazakhstan, junior research scientist LTP JINR
+7 (49621) 6-44-13
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
Upon an initiative of Azerbaijanian, Kazakh and Uzbek national groups in JINR, spring holiday Novruz-Meirami is annually celebrated with its eastern colour. Obviously, there are tasty bawyrsaks, Kazakh eti and pilaf.
Main national holidays of Kazakhstan:
- New Year – 1-2 January;
- Christmas – 7 January;
- Day of Gratitude – 1 March;
- International Women’s Day – 8 March;
- Novruz-Meirami – 21, 22 and 23 March;
- Day of Unity of Kazakhstan People – 1 May;
- Defender’s Day – 7 May;
- Victory Day – 9 May;
- Capital’s Day – 6 July;
- Day of Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan – 30 August;
- Kurban-Ait – 10 Dhu al-Hijjah – 12 September (in 2016);
- Day of the First President – 1 December.
- Independence Day – 16-17 December.
- On 14 – 15 November 2019, a seminar dedicated to the opening of the neutron radiography and tomography facility at the WWR-K reactor was held in the Institute of Nuclear Physics (Kazakhstan)
- The ISTC-CERN-JINR Summer School “Introduction to High Energy Physics and Accelerator Physics” will be held at al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Almaty (Kazakhstan), on 25 – 31 August 2019
- On 22 April 2019, a reporting session of representatives of a delegation of the Kazakhstani scientific team with young scientists and specialists working in JINR was held in the JINR Scientists’ Club
- On 12 September 2017, a delegation of leaders of JINR arrived to Almaty for participation in the International Scientific Forum «Nuclear Science and Technologies», dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- From 14 to 18 June 2016, festive events dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR and the 10th anniversary of the launching the DC-60 heavy-ion accelerator created with the participation of employees of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR were held in Astana, the capital of the JINR Member State the Republic of Kazakhstan
- On 22 April 2016, JINR welcomed a delegation from its sister city of Kurchatov (Kazakhstan) headed by akim Nurbol Nurgaliyev accompanied by Deputy Director General for Science of the Institute of Atomic Energy of the National Nuclear Center of Kazakhstan Маzhyn Skakov and Chairman of Management Board of the JSC “Park of Nuclear Technologies” Alexander Borisenko.
- On 14 – 15 October 2013, Head of the Centre for Complex Ecological Research of the Kazakhstan Institute of Nuclear Physics V.N. Glushchenko visited the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics. He got acquainted with operation of the sector of neutron activation analyses and applied research of FLNP.
- A new agreement on training of students from Kazakhstan in the University “Dubna” was signed on 23 June 2013 in the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan).
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan Karim Massimov visited the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research on 11 July 2011.
- On 15-17 May 2011,JINR received a delegation from the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan) headed by B.Zh. Abdiraiym.
- On 27 September – 5 October 2010, the School of High Energies and Accelerator Physics was held in the Eurasian National University for young scientists from CIS states. The Shool was organized by the International Science and Technology Center (ISTC), CERN and JINR.
- A guest session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States was held in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana on 19–21 November 2009.
- Rector of the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University B.Zh.Abdraimov, Rector of the University «Dubna» D.V.Fursaev, JINR Director Academician A.N.Sissakian and Director of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan Academician K.K.Kadyrzhanov endorsed the quadripartite agreement on joint training of bachelors and masters of nuclear physics on 19 November 2009 in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana.
- “The object of research is the Semipalatinsk test site”. JINR weekly newspaper, №51 от 25 December 2009
- “Russia – Kazakhstan: on space orbits”. JINR weekly newspaper, №49 от 11 December 2009
- “JINR Accelerator in Kazakhstan”. JINR weekly newspaper, №40 от 29 September 2006
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan: