General information on collaboration
The Republic of Kazakhstan has been a Member of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR) since its establishment according to the Agreement on founding the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research as of 26 March 1956. As a sovereign republic, Kazakhstan has been a JINR Member State since 1992.
Staff members of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Ministry of Energy and the Institute of Physics and Technology traditionally visit the JINR laboratories. The international JINR business meeting for the GIBS facility was held in 1987 near Alma-Ata at the sports complex Medeo. The INP (Alma-Ata) took an active part in organising this event.
Kazakhstani physicists take part in the development of accelerators for radiation technologies, the JINR experimental base for the production of intense beams of heavy ions and polarized nuclei. Joint mathematical support of experimental and theoretical research conducted at JINR is provided. The DC-60 Cyclotron was developed by the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions together with the INP and then was delivered, launched and debugged in Kazakhstan for the INP branch in Nur-Sultan.
In 2009, the guest session of the Committee of Plenipotentiary Representatives of the Governments of the JINR Member States was held in Astana for the first time at which an important project of the Seven-year JINR Development Plan for 2010-2016 was adopted.
Moreover, participants of the session visited Gumilev Eurasian National University where an agreement on collaborative nuclear physics training of bachelor and master students was signed between the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, the State University “Dubna” and Gumilev Eurasian National University.
In 2010, a four-party agreement with the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University for collaborative nuclear physics training of bachelor and master students was signed. Nowadays, in the frames of the agreement, more than 100 Kazakhstani bachelor and master students have been trained in Dubna State University and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research. More than 30 employees are postgraduates or PhD students of higher education institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation. Kazakhstani specialists have defended 10 PhD and (or) candidate dissertations at JINR and domestic universities from 2010 to 2020.
In 2011, a governmental delegation of the Republic of Kazakhstan headed by Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan Karim Masimov visited the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research. The head of the Government was accompanied by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Kazakhstan in RF Zautbek Turisbekov, Head of the Office of the Prime Minister Gabidulla Abdrakhimov, President of the JSC “NAC Kazatomprom” Vladimir Shkolnik, Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Industry and New Technologies Bakhytzhan Dzhaksaliev and General Director of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan, JINR Plenipotentiary of Kazakhstan Kairat Kadyrzhanov.
During the visit, the development of cooperation between scientific centres of the Republic of Kazakhstan and JINR was discussed. The delegation also had excursions to the laboratories.
Kazakhstan in JINR today
Nowadays, more than 100 young scientists and specialists work at JINR in all the JINR laboratories. They are engaged in research on various fields of nuclear and neutron physics, accelerator technology, radiation material sciences, information and cloud technologies. They take an active part in large-scale international mega-science projects etc. About 10-12 bachelor and 2-3 master students graduate annually in the frames of the two-degree education programme at the expense of the grant of the Plenipotentiary Representative of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Fruitful scientific cooperation of Kazakhstani employees with JINR scientists continues strengthening and expanding. Thanks to this cooperation, Kazakhstani scientists now have new opportunities for the development of contacts with the world’s largest centres.
In 2017-2019, on the basis of the resources of the INP organizations (INP branch in Nur-Sultan, in particular) and the «Nazarbayev University Library and IT services» PE, the cloud infrastructure was created. It is integrated with the cloud of the Laboratory of Information Technologies JINR into a single Distributed Informational Computing Infrastructure (DICI) with the use of grid-technologies based on the DIRAC middleware. At the moment, this environment is being used and developed on the basis of LIT JINR resources and the Kazakhstani organizations. Support and development of such infrastructure are relevant due to the desire of both parties to unite efforts and resources to resolve fundamental and applied problems successful implementation of which is impossible without new approaches to conducting distributed and parallel calculations and using the systems of distributed big data storage.
In November 2019, a new neutron radiography and tomography facility at the WWR-K reactor was launched in the INP. The neutron radiography and tomography facility was developed in the frames of the scientific and technical cooperation of specialists from the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics and the Institute of Nuclear Physics. The facility has been created at the first horizontal channel of the WWR-K research reactor and is the only facility of the kind in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Sergey I. Sidorchuk
Executive of the contacts with Republic of Kazakhstan; Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR
+7 (49621) 6-21-54;
fax: +7 (49621) 6-50-83
The scientists of Kazakhstan take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2021:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes.
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation on 4 themes.
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 4 themes.
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 2 themes.
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes.
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme.
At present JINR collaborates most actively with the following scientific organizations of Kazakhstan:
- Institute of Nuclear Physics (INP) of the Ministry of Energy
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
- Physical-Technical Institute of the Ministry of Education and Science of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Gumilev Eurasian National University
- Scientific Research Institute of Experimental and Technical Physics of Al-Farabi Kazakh National University (SRIETP)
- Sarsen Amanzholov East Kazakhstan State University
- Autonomous organization of education “Nazarbayev University”
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR since March 2020 to the present day is Batyrzhan Karakozov, Candidate of Technical Sciences, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR since 1992:
1992 – 2000
- Vladimir Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan;
- Kairat Kadirzhanov, Professor, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, CEO of the National Nuclear Centre of the Republic of Kazakhstan, winner of the State prize of the RK;
- Ergazy Kenzhin, Corresponding Member of the National Engineering Academy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Batyrzhan Karakozov, Candidate of Technical Sciences, General Director of the RSE “Institute of Nuclear Physics” of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
2000 – 2017
2017 – 2020
2020 – present day
Maxim Zdorovets, director of the Astana Branch of the Institute of Nuclear Physics, has been a Member of the JINR Scientific Council since 2017.
Members of the Scientific Council from Kazakhstan since 1992 were:
1992 – 1993
- Mikhail G. Itkis, Chief Researcher of the Institute of Nuclear Physics (INP) of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Deputy Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions of JINR;
- Nogerbek N. Nurgozhin, Chief of the Laboratory of Electronic Experiments, the Institute of High Energy Physcis KAS;
- Vladimir N. Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President KAS;
- Aset A. Chumbalov, Researcher of the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics, JINR;
- Arigam Sh. Gaitinov, Director of the Laboratory of Relativistic Nuclear Physics of INP KAS;
- Mikhail G. Itkis, Chief Researcher of the Institute of INP KAS, Deputy Director of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions of JINR;
- Vladimir N. Okolovich, Academician, First Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Kazakhstan;
- Alnur Duisebaev, Director of the Laboratory of Nuclear Processes, the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the National Nuclear Centre of Kazakhstan;
- Maxim V. Zdorovets, Director of the Astana Branch of the Institute of Nuclear Physics.
1995 – 1996
1997 – 2003
2003 – 2017
2017 – present day
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Head of the national group of Kazakhstan, senior research scientist BLTP JINR
+7 (496) 216-34-13
Deputy Head of the national group of Kazakhstan, research scientist BLTP JINR
+7 (496) 216-34-13
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
Upon an initiative of Azerbaijanian, Kazakh and Uzbek national groups in JINR, spring holiday Novruz-Meirami is annually celebrated with its eastern colour. Obviously, there are tasty bawyrsaks, Kazakh eti and pilaf.
The national group of Kazakhstan annually holds report sessions at which participants get acquainted with the results obtained by Kazakhstani employees in the past year as members of scientific groups in the JINR laboratories. Participants also assess the relevance of conducted research for the development of science in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
State and national holidays of Kazakhstan:
- New Year – 1-2 January;
- Christmas – 7 January;
- Day of Gratitude – 1 March;
- International Women’s Day – 8 March;
- Novruz-Meirami – 21, 22 and 23 March;
- Day of Unity of Kazakhstan People – 1 May;
- Defender’s Day – 7 May;
- Victory Day – 9 May;
- Capital’s Day – 6 July;
- Day of Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan – 30 August;
- Kurban-Ait – 10 Dhu al-Hijjah – 30 July (in 2020);
- Day of the First President – 1 December.
- Independence Day – 16-17 December.
- On 22 – 26 March 2021, General Director of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Plenipotentiary Representative of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in JINR Batyrzhan Karakozov appointed to this position on 11 March 2021 is making an introductory visit to JINR
- Today, on 15 January 2020, the JINR Weekly Newspaper opens the jubilee project dedicated to the 65th anniversary of the Institute: staff members from the JINR Member States whose lives are closely related to the Institute will answer the questions of the Newspaper. Head of the national group of Kazakhstan in JINR Damir Aznabayev opens the series of articles
- An annual meeting was held by the National Group of employees of the Republic of Kazakhstan at JINR on 22 December 2020. The meeting was held online, during which young scientists and specialists from Kazakhstan discussed the results of scientific and social activities in 2020
- On 16 December 2020, the JINR Directorate represented by elected Director Grigory Trubnikov congratulated the national group of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the Independence Day of the Republic of Kazakhstan via video conference
- On 14 – 15 November 2019, a seminar dedicated to the opening of the neutron radiography and tomography facility at the WWR-K reactor was held in the Institute of Nuclear Physics (Kazakhstan)
- The ISTC-CERN-JINR Summer School “Introduction to High Energy Physics and Accelerator Physics” will be held at al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Almaty (Kazakhstan), on 25 – 31 August 2019
- On 22 April 2019, a reporting session of representatives of a delegation of the Kazakhstani scientific team with young scientists and specialists working in JINR was held in the JINR Scientists’ Club
- On 12 September 2017, a delegation of leaders of JINR arrived to Almaty for participation in the International Scientific Forum «Nuclear Science and Technologies», dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- From 14 to 18 June 2016, festive events dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR and the 10th anniversary of the launching the DC-60 heavy-ion accelerator created with the participation of employees of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR were held in Astana, the capital of the JINR Member State the Republic of Kazakhstan
- On 22 April 2016, JINR welcomed a delegation from its sister city of Kurchatov (Kazakhstan) headed by akim Nurbol Nurgaliyev accompanied by Deputy Director General for Science of the Institute of Atomic Energy of the National Nuclear Center of Kazakhstan Маzhyn Skakov and Chairman of Management Board of the JSC “Park of Nuclear Technologies” Alexander Borisenko.
- On 14 – 15 October 2013, Head of the Centre for Complex Ecological Research of the Kazakhstan Institute of Nuclear Physics V.N. Glushchenko visited the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics. He got acquainted with operation of the sector of neutron activation analyses and applied research of FLNP.
- A new agreement on training of students from Kazakhstan in the University “Dubna” was signed on 23 June 2013 in the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan).
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan Karim Massimov visited the Joint Institute of Nuclear Research on 11 July 2011.
- On 15-17 May 2011,JINR received a delegation from the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Astana, Kazakhstan) headed by B.Zh. Abdiraiym.
- On 27 September – 5 October 2010, the School of High Energies and Accelerator Physics was held in the Eurasian National University for young scientists from CIS states. The Shool was organized by the International Science and Technology Center (ISTC), CERN and JINR.
- A guest session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States was held in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana on 19–21 November 2009.
- Rector of the L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University B.Zh.Abdraimov, Rector of the University «Dubna» D.V.Fursaev, JINR Director Academician A.N.Sissakian and Director of the National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakhstan Academician K.K.Kadyrzhanov endorsed the quadripartite agreement on joint training of bachelors and masters of nuclear physics on 19 November 2009 in the capital of Kazakhstan Astana.
- “The object of research is the Semipalatinsk test site”. JINR weekly newspaper, №51 от 25 December 2009
- “Russia – Kazakhstan: on space orbits”. JINR weekly newspaper, №49 от 11 December 2009
- “JINR Accelerator in Kazakhstan”. JINR weekly newspaper, №40 от 29 September 2006
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan: