Vice-Director of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
Mikhail G. Itkis, Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics, Professor.
Date and place of birth:
7 December 1942, Taldy Kurgan Region, Kazakhstan, USSR
- 1961–1966 Moscow State University
- 1974 Candidate of Science in Physics and Mathematics
- 1985 Doctor of Science in Physics and Mathematics
- 1988 Professor
- 1967–1992 Institute of Nuclear Physics (Kazakhstan Academy of Sciences); engineer, Senior Scientist, Head of scientific department
- 1993–1996 Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, Deputy Director
- 1997–2007 Director, Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, JINR
- January–March 2006 Acting Vice-Director of JINR
- 2006–2010 Vice-Director of JINR
- 7 May 2010 – September 2011 JINR Director at interim
- Since September 2011 Vice-Director of JINR
- Heavy and superheavy nucleus research.
- Synthesis of new heaviest elements.
- Electromagnetic and chemical separation of products of nuclear reactions.
- Measurements of production cross sections and decay properties of heavy nuclei.
- The influence of nuclear shells on the stability of heavy nuclei.
- Spontaneous fission of heavy nuclei. Fission modes.
- Fission from the isomeric state of a nucleus (spin and shape isomers).
- Spontaneous emission of clusters.
- Beta-delayed fi ssion of neutron-defi cient isotopes.
- Fission and quasi-fi ssion of exotic nuclei.
- Mass and energy spectra, angular distributions of fragments
Author of more than 250 papers
Prizes, honorary titles:
Laureate of the State Prize of the Russian Federation in science and technology 2010, for the discovery of a new field of stability of superheavy elements (in collaboration with Academician Yu. Oganessian). Title “Doctor Honoris Causa of the University of Bucharest” (2019).