Baikal Summer JINR-ISU School
Education, 13 July 2017
On 13 – 20 July 2017, the 17th International School on Elementary Particle Physics and Astrophysics is being held in the settlement Bolshie Koty, on the bank of Baikal Lake in the territory of the biological station of the Irkutsk State University. The School is organized jointly by the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and the Irkutsk State University, with the support of the En+ Group, the Traektoria Foundation and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research.
The School programme consists of advanced courses of lectures on physics of elementary particles and astrophysics. Lectures on the Standard Model, including electroweak theory and QCD, neutrino physics, CP-violation make the first section of the programme. The second section is devoted to Astrophysics, which includes such issues as cosmic rays, dark matter, astrophysical neutrinos and gravitational waves. The official language of the school is English.
Scientists from France, Germany, the UK, Portugal, Poland, Hungary and Russia participate in the School. The School is targeted at undergraduate and graduate students as well as early-career PhDs (postdocs). The working language of the school is English. The School offers a unique experience of full scientific immersion “Siberian style”:
- a week of lectures given by world experts on variety of topics (Standard Model and beyond, neutrino physics, LHC results, cosmology, gravity, astrophysics),
- plenty of time for questions and informal discussions with lecturers,
- intensive study sessions on topics of the lectures held in small groups,
- an opportunity to give a presentation or present a poster of own work,
- friendly atmosphere, new contacts and friends,
- and finally the stunning views of the lake Baikal and Siberian Taiga.