General information on collaboration
The Republic of Belarus, as a part of the USSR, joined JINR according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956. As a sovereign republic, Belarus has been member-state of JINR since 1992.
The acceptance report ratification and JINR Plenipotentiary appointment were done in March 1992 with corresponding authoritative orders from the government of Belarus. However, links with National Scientific Belarus Centres, Belarusian scientists have existed for the whole JINR history.
At present, 21 scientific centres and the University of the Republic of Belarus cooperate with JINR in theoretical physics field, particle physics, nuclear physics and condensed matter physics as part of the 28 research projects held in JINR. 21 Belarusian experts and members of their families work in Dubna under the terms of the contract. The main part (150 scientists) of the collaborating scientists does the research in the institutes of Belarus, using the methods and developments of JINR, welcoming colleagues from Dubna and going on business trips to Dubna.
Belarus industrial undertakings make a strong contribution to collaboration with their unique equipment for up-to-date research facility detectors in Dubna and in scientific centres cooperated with.
For the last decade several contracts and agreements (valid up to the present) for scientific-technical collaboration have been concluded between JINR and Belarus party.
Productive scientific collaboration between Belarusian physics and JINR scientists is strengthening and developing. With this collaboration Belarusian scientists have possibilities of direct contacts with major scientific accelerator world centres – CERN, DESY, FNAL, SLSC and etc.
International conferences, symposiums, schools (traditional Gomel schools stand out among them) held in Belarus in cooperation with JINR develop exchange of scientific experience. N.N.Bogoliubov, V.G.Kadishevski, A.N.Sisakian, K.M.Tomilchick and A.A.Bogush (corresponding members), I.A.Savin, N.B.Skachkov, F.I.Federov, V.A.Belii, N.M.Shumeiko, B.V.Bockut (professors) etc. The first such seminar school for current problems of physics microworld took place in Gomel in 1971. In a year after three more of such events were held. Tradition of Gomel schools was started again in 1997 after a while. The last 10th School (for children) Current Problems of Physics Microworld was run in summer 2009. JINR plays a great role in organising these school-seminars.
JINR-Belarus round-table meeting that took place in January 2002 showed how strong and developed links of JINR and Belarusian National Scientific Centres.
Memorandum of collaboration between JINR and Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research (BRFFR) is effective from 2006. A collective research work competition is provided on the memorandum basis. Financing of winning projects is effected according to its results.
Professor Vladimir Dimitrievich Kekelidze
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Belarus, Director of the Laboratory of High Energy Physics
+7 (49621) 6-58-15
+7 (49621) 6-53-06
The scientists of Belarus take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 3 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation on 9 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 1 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 6 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme
At present JINR collaborates with 24 scientific organisations, universities and undertakings of Belarus. The most actively JINR collaborates with following organisations and universities:
- Pavel Sukhoi State Technical University of Gomel
- Francisk Skorina Gomel State University
- Belarusian State University
- B.I.Stepanov Physics Institute of NASB
- Research Institute for Nuclear Problems of Belarusian State University
- National Scientific and Educational Centre of Particles and High-Energy Physics of Belarusian State University
- Joint Institute of Power and Nuclear Research – “Sosny” of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
Collective discipline-related research works competition has been provided since 2006 on the Memorandum of collaboration between JINR and Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research (BRFFR) basis. Financing of winning projects is effected according to its results.
The winners of collective discipline-related research works competition BRFFR – JINR – 2014 are the following five projects:
- «Nonlinear Functional Approximation Development and Operators with Determinate and Stochastic Parameters» Project supervisors are S.N. Sedikh (VBLHEP JINR), O.A. Ivashkevich (RI PCP BSU)
- «High-Power Microwave Radiation Absorption Research with Ferromagnetic and Superparamagnetic Nanoclusters under the Nonlinear Ferromagnetic Resonance» Project supervisors are S.N. Sedikh (VBLHEP JINR), O.A. Ivashkevich (RI PCP BSU);
- «Research and Creation of Strow-Detectors with High Loading Characteristics and Precise Identification of Axial Coordinate for Measuring Equipment of Modern High-Current Accelerators» Project supervisors are N.P. Kravchuck (DLNP JINR), F.E. Zaziulia (NC PPHI BSU);
- «Analysis of Inclusive Processes under Moderate Momentum Transfer in Non-Standard (Non-Staid) Perturbative Approaches of QCD» Project supervisors are D.V. Shirokov (BLTP JINR), O.P. Solovtsova (GSTU);
- «Relation of Crystalline Structure with Improved Ceramics Physical Properties on Bismuth Ferrite Basis near Interface of Orthorhomb-Thombohedron» Project supervisors are V.V. Sickolenko (FLNP JINR), D.V. Karpinski (NPC NASB);
The winners of collective discipline-related research works competition BRFFR – JINR – 2015 are the following nine projects:
- «Phase Transformation Influence on Magnet- Transport Properties of Composite Oxides» Project supervisors are E.A. Efimova (VBLHEP JINR), I.O. Troianchuck (NPC NASB, Materials Science);
- «Structural Phase Transformation in Solid Solutions of Bismuth Ferrite» Project supervisors are S.I. Tiutiunnikov (VBLHEP JINR), A.N. Chobot (NPC NASB, Materials Science);
- «Precise Observed Measurements and Search New Physics Effects with Drell-Ian Process in CMS Experiment under Higher Energy and Luminosity on LHC» Project supervisors are A.V. Zarubin (VBLHEP JINR), ;
- «Higgs Boson Spin Identification in di-Boson Decay Mode in ATLAS Experiment on LHC» Project supervisors are V.A. Bednyakov (DLNP JINR), A.A. Pankov (GSTU named after P.O. Sukhoi);
- «Radiation-Protected Nanocrystalline Coating Development on Titanium Nitrides and Zirconium Basis for Nuclear Reactor TFEs Jacket Protection» Project supervisors are V.A. Skuratov (FLNR JINR), V.V. Uglov (BSU);
- «Development of Model Correction to Fundamental Physical Constants» Project supervisors are A.E. Dorokhov (BLTP JINR), N.V. Maximenko (FCGCU);
- «Nanostructured Glass and Polycrystalline Optical Materials Functional Properties Formation Structural Aspects Research with Neutron Scattering Methods» Project supervisors are D.P. Kozlenko (FLNP JINR), V.S. Gurin (RI PCP BSU);
- «Analysis of Phase Formation Process and Physical Characteristics of Compounds in Cu-Fe-S System under High Pressure and Temperature Interaction» Project supervisors are M.V. Frontasieva (FLNP JINR), O.V. Ignatenko (NPC NASB Materials Science);
- «Diamagnetic Substitution Influence on Magnetic Structure and Correlation of Physical Properties in Barium Ferrite Solid Solutions BaFe12-х Mх O19 (M=Al, In; x=0-1.2)» Project supervisors are V.A. Turchenko (FLNP JINR), A.V. Trukhanov (NPC NASB Materials Science);
Alexander G. Shumilin was born in 1971 in Kurovshchina village of Brest district of Brest region. He graduated from Belarus State Polytechnic Academy in 1993. After graduation, he worked as an engineer in Belarus State Polytechnic Academy faculty. In 1993-1996 he was a postgraduate of the Academy. In 1997-2008 he was an assistant, senior lecturer, associate professor, Head of Chair of Belarus State Polytechnic Academy. During October-November 2008 he was a Prorector for Learning and Teaching in Republican Institute of innovative technologies of Belarus National Technical University. In 2008-2010 he was a Principal Counsellor of the Council of Ministers. In 2010-2011 he was a professor of state-building faculty in Civil Service Institute of Academy of Public Administration under the aegis of the President of the Republic of Belarus. In 2012-2013 he was a head of Belarus Innovation Fund. From 15 October 2013 he was a Chairman of State Science and Engineering Committee of the Republic of Belarus, Ph.D. in Economics, associate professor.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Belarus in JINR since 1992:
1992 – 1997
- Shumeiko Nikolai, Professor, Director of Scientific and Research Institution “National Scientific and Educational Centre of Particle and High Energy Physics” of the Belarusian State University
- Gaisenok Victor, Professor, Chairman of the State Committee for Science and Technology of Belarus
- Lesnikovich Anatoly, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Chairman of the State Committee for Science and Technology of Belarus
- Nedilko Vladimir, First Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Science and Technology of the Republic of Belarus
- Igor Voitov, Chairman of the State Committee for Science and Technology of Belarus
- Shumilin Alexander, Chairman of the State Committee for Science and Technology of Belarus.
1998 – 2001
2003 – 2011
2011 – 2014
2014 – present day
Sergei Ya. Kilin Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, NASB Chief Scientific Secretary, was born on 18 May 1952. He graduated from the Belarusian State University, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics.
Chairman of Belarusian Physical Society, his researches are on quantum optics and quantum informatics. His main research envelopes are Development of Quantum Fluctuation Theory under nonlinear optic interaction, and on this theory basis he predicted a set of effects being observed under photon emission by single atoms and molecules in different environments. He developed new methods and systems for quantum IT (quantum computers an cryptography).
He graduated from the Belarusian State University, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Professor. Research interests: physics of nanostructures, electromagnetic wave propagation in nanostructures, electromagnetic materials in nanocomposites. Awards: Honorary Member of the International Society for Optical Engineering, Diploma of the National Assembly of the Republic of Belarus for achievements in professional work and teaching (2001), Honored Staff Member of the Belarusian State University (2010).
Vasily I. Strazhev, professor of Physical Department in Belarusian State University, physicist, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, was born on 26 July 1944. He graduated from the Belarusian State University (BSU). His main research envelopes are Magnetic charge theory, Polarisation symmetry in the field theory, The Dirac-Kahler equation, Gauge theories with noncompact group of inner symmetry. During 1994-1997 he was a Minister of Education and Science of Belarus, 1997-2001 – Minister of Education of Belarus, 2001-2003 – Rector of Republican Institute of Higher School of BSU, BSU rector advisor, and up to 2013 – the head of Republican Confucius Institute of Sinology of Belarusian State University. In 2003-2008 he was a BSU rector. He has been a member of the JINR Scientific Council since 1992.
He was awarded a Certificate of Merit of the Council of Ministers of Belarus, a medal of Higher School Academy of Sciences, a medal for Valorous Labour on the Occasion of Centenary of V.I. Lenin birth, a medal for 60 years of Belarus Liberation in the Great Patriotic War, a Pushkin medal, a Gold Plaque of Honour named after Peter the Great for Noble Labour, got awards of Orthodox Church – Order of Euphrosyne of Polotsk and medal of Kirill of Turov. He is an author of more than 140 researches including 4 monographs in theoretical physics field.
The group of leading scientist from Belarus is awarded honorary JINR diplomas for substantial contribution to development of collaboration between JINR and scientific and training Belarus centres on occasion of 30th Gomel Schools. Corresponding members, L.M. Tomilchick, A.A. Bogush, M. Plesckachevski, NASB academician A.I. Lesnikovich, professor N.M. Shumeiko, N.V. Maximenko, V.I. Stradgev, S.V. Shcherbackov, M.V. Selkin, V.I. Nedilko, are awarded diplomas.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Yuri A. Kulnichiski
Head of the national group of Belarus, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Head of Sector, DLNP JINR
+7 (49621) 6-53-01
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
- Constitution Day – 15 March;
- Day of the Unity of Belarusian and Russian People – 2 April;
- Day of National Flag and National Emblem of Belarus – 2d Sunday of May;
- Day of Friendship an Unity of the Slavic – 25 June;
- National Independence Day – 3 July;
- Kupala Night – on the night of 6/7 July.
- On 3 July 2017, in honour of the national holiday – the Independence Day of the Republic of Belarus, JINR Director Academician V.A. Matveev received in his office Head of the national group of Belarusian employees, Head of the HMPRD sector of the DLNP Yu.A. Kulchitsky
- 21 June 2017. The State Committee on Science and Technology of the Republic of Belarus informs: About 200 researchers from Belarus participated in implementation of scientific topics of Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
- The pre-anniversary meeting of the JINR Finance Committee and the session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States were held on 16-22 November 2015 in the capital of Belarus Minsk at the invitation of JINR Plenipotentiary of Belarus, Chairman of the State Committee on Science and Technology of the Republic of Belarus A.G.Shumilin
- The XIII International School-Conference “The Current Problems of Microworld Physics” took place in “Zolotye Peski” Gomel, Belarus, from 27 July to 7 August 2015
- The third stage of the international student practice that ended in the JINR University Centre on 24 September 2014 gathered in Dubna students from Belarus, Serbia and the Republic of South Africa
- A delegation of the Belarusian State University consisting of Dean of the Faculty of Physics V.M. Anishchik, Director of the State Enterprise “Active BSU” V.V. Hodassevich and Yu.A. Fedotova, head of the laboratory, secretary of the Committee on cooperation between the Republic of Belarus and JINR visited Dubna on 17-18 June 2014
- The third stage of the International student practice was started on Monday, 9 September 2013 in the JINR University Centre. Students from the Republic of South Africa and the Republic of Belarus came to Dubna
- On 7 April 2011, the Directorate and the international staff of JINR congratulated Lev Mitrofanovich Tomilchik on his 80th anniversary; Lev Tomilchik is a famous Belarusian physicist theorist and organizer of science, corresponding member of NAS of Belarus, Professor, chief researcher of the Institute of physics
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Belarus in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Republic of Belarus: