General information on collaboration
Mongolia has been a JINR member state since its foundation. Academician N. Sodnom was the first JINR Plenipotentiary representative who signed the JINR regulation agreement. He was then repeatedly appointed as Plenipotentiary representative, elected vice-director of JINR, was the president of the Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, and was therector of Mongolian State University. He has maintained close ties with JINR in these positions. Many other Mongolian scientists and science organisers have made a significant contributed to JINR development including professor D. Tsavagmid, academicians B. Chadraa, S. Enhbat and T. Galbaatar, professors D. Chultem, O. Otgonsuren, D. Tuvdendorge, B. Dalhsuren and Sh. Garbish.
Many young Mongolian physicists contributed to the internationally acclaimed projects done within the Institute’s international teams during the 50-year history of JINR. Mongolian experts who studied at JINR became leading scientists,professors, academicians, state prize winners and directors of research institutions. Today they are leaders of science development in Mongoliaand are very interested in helping Dubna into become a modern physics school for young experts.
Mongolian scientists continue to successfully pursue studiesin JINR laboratories – as of 1 November 2013, 12 Mongolian experts were working full-time at JINR, including 2 Candidates and 1 Doctor of Science. Every year 15 Mongolian scientists and experts come to the Institute on short-term business trips, to participate in joint projects and to attend JINR conferences, and approximately the same number of JINR researchers go to Mongolia.
Collaboration continues on a range of subjects encompassing all JINR activity areas, including the educational programme. Connections between Mongolia and the European Organisation of Nuclear Research are enabled through JINR: many experts take part in the ALICE project.
JINR is going to play an important role in helping Mongolian colleagues in both improving work performance, as part of the programme, and in training highly-skilled experts as part of the National programme of nuclear power and industry development of uranium sources.
Evgeny A. Krasavin
Executive of the contacts with, Mongolia, Director of the Laboratory of Radiation Biology JINR
+7 (49621) 6-57-40
+7 (49621) 6-26-88
Mikhail G. Loshchilov
Coordinator, collaboration with Mongolia, Leading engineer,the JINR Science Organization & International Cooperation Office
+7 (49621) 6-53-64
Sientists of Mongolia take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of fundamental interactions”,
leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov,
from the part of Mongolia: Kh. Namsrai (IPT MAS), O. Lhagva, T. Zhanlav (MonSU);
“Theory of Condensed Matter Physics”,
leaders: V.A. Osipov, A.M. Povolotski, from the part of Mongolia: O. Lhagva (MonSU).
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
“Research of compressed baryonic matter at GSI accelerator complex”,
leaders: A.I. Malahov, V.V. Ivanov,
from the part of Mongolia: Ts. Baatar (IPT MAS);
“Researches of relativistic heavy and light ion physics at Nuclotron , SPS and SIS18”,
leader: A.I. Malahov,
from the part of Mongolia: Ts. Baatar (IPT MAS), R. Togoo (IPT MAS), Ts. Timandalger (ANE), Ts. Dumdinsuran (ANE);
“Development and creation of complex prototype for radiotherapy and applied research of heavy ion beams of Nuclotron-M”
Leader: S.I. Tiutiunnikov,
from the part of Mongolia: R. Togoo (IPT MAS).
- Nuclear physics
“Accelerator complex of ion beams of stable and radioactive nuclides (DRIBs-III)”,
leaders: G.G. Gulbekian, S.N. Dmitriev, M.G. Itkis, J.Ts. Oganesian,
from the part of Mongolia: P. Zuzaan (CNR MonSU);
“Synthesis and nuclei properties on stability boundaries”,
leaders: M.G. Itkis, J.Ts. Oganesian,
from the part of Mongolia: P. Zuzaan (CNR MonSU);
“Non-accelerative neutrino physics and astrophysics”,
leaders: V.B. Brudanin, A. Kovalik, E.A. Jakushev,
from the part of Mongolia: T. Galbaatar, O. Lhagva (CNR MonSU), S. Enhbat (ANE);
“Analyses of Neutron Nuclear Physics”,
leader: V.N. Shvetsov,
from the part of Mongolia: S. Tuul, N. Baldzhinian (CSL)
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Research of condensed substance state with use of modern neutron diffraction techniques”,
leaders; V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov, D.P. Koslenko,
from the part of Mongolia: D. Samgaa, G. Savzhisuran (IPT ASM), Sh. Chadraabl (MSUST);
“Radiation effects and nanotechnology fundamentals, and radioanalytical and radioisotopic researches at FLNR accelerators”,
leaders: S.N. Dmitriev, P.J. Apel,
from the part of Mongolia: S. Davaa, N. Norov (CNR MonSU);
“Biological effect researches of heavy ions of different energies”,
leaders: E.A. Krasavin, G.N. Timoshenko,
from the part of Mongolia: O. Lhagva (CNR MonSU);
“Development of research nuclear IBR-2 facility with the complex of cryogenic neutron moderator”,
leaders: A.V. Belushkin, A.V. Vinogradov,
from the part of Mongolia: B. Chadraa, D. Sangaa (IPT MAS).
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR”,
Leader: V.V. Korenkov (LIT),
from the part of Mongolia: D. Bolormaa (MNU);
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”,
Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov,
from the part of Mongolia: T. Zhanlav, S. Budniam (MonSU), B. Batgaral (MSUNT)
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of Mongolia in JINR from 2012 to present is Professor Suren Davaa, Scientific Secretary of the Nuclear Research Center at the Mongolian State University.
Suren Davaa, Candidate of Physics and Mathematics, professor, director of the Centre of Nuclear Research of Mongolian State University (MonSU) (since 1997), was born on 23 November 1953.
He graduated in 1976 with a degree in physics. He worked at Joint Institute of Nuclear Research in 1979-1986. Then in 1985 he defended his Ph.D. thesis in JINR. He worked as a lecturer in 1986-1989. In 1989-1992 he was a director of studies, in 1992-2008 he was a first pro-rector and in 2009-2010 – rector of MonSU. He has been a director of the Centre of Nuclear Research of MonSU since 1997. Since 2016, he is Scientific Secretary of the Nuclear Research Center at the Mongolian State University.
Major scientific achievements
His main scientific projects are on the research of nuclei decay of lanthanides by nuclear orientation method. Spins of dozens level of the daughter nuclei and parameters of multipolarity mixing for cell transitions were identified unambiguously by measure of anisotropy of angular gamma ray distribution between daughter nuclei levels.
Energy and Level structure of rotation bands and transient probabilities between these nuclei levels were calculated under the semi-microscopic quasi-partial phonon model for odd ytterbium nuclei, and a comparison with experimental data was also done.
Over the last years, Suran Davaa worked on the using of atomic power in Mongolia. He significantly contributed to the system change of the Higher education of Mongolia.
Suren Davaa about JINR:
JINR significantly contributes not only to the world science, but also to electronics and accelerative and reactor technics development and to other high technologies. A range of generations of professional personnel from member states grew up in JINR.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Mongolia in JINR since 1991:
1991 – 1996
- Baataryn Chadraa, Academician, Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, Vice-Chairman of the Nuclear Energy Board of the government of Mongolia;
- Gantsog Tserensodnomyn, Member of the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, President of the National University of Mongolia;
- Enkhbat Sodnom, Academician, Director of the Nuclear Energy Agency of the government of Mongolia;
- Suren Davaa, professor, Scientific Secretary of the Nuclear Research Center at the Mongolian State University.
1997 – 2005
2005 – 2012
2012 – present day
At present, Tseepeldorj Baatar Tseepeldorzh is a member of the JINR Scientific Council.
Tseepeldorj Baatar, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, professor, academician of Mongolian AS, Director of the Laboratory of physics of high energy MAS, member of the JINR Scientific Council since 2011, was born on 1 July 1945.
Major scientific achievements
He studies processes of multiple production of secondary particles in hadron – nuclear and nucleus – nuclear interactions under high energy. He is an author of about 200 scientific papers.
Huuenhuu Gonchigdorzh was a member of the JINR Scientific Council in 2003-2008. He has been a member since 2013.
G. Huuenhuu, Candidate of Physics and Mathematics, professor of the Mongolian National University, director of the Nuclear Data sector in the Centre of Nuclear Research MNU, was born on 25 October 1946.
Major scientific achievements
His scientific interests cover researches of nuclear reactions proceeded under the intermediate and fast neutron activity, and photonuclear reactions. He has more than 240 publications including monographs, student books and scientific papers which were published in journals such as Phys.Rev.Lett., Phys.Rev.C, Nucl.Instr.Meth., Eur.Phys.Jour.A, Appl.Rad.Isot., Nucl.Sci.Eng., Progr.Nucl.Energy and others. Over the last years, he works on the using of atomic power and of nuclear technology in Mongolia. He greatly contributed to the training of national staff in nuclear physics and technology field.
Members of the Scientific Council from Mongolia since 1994 were:
1994 – 2009
- Tseepeldorj Baatar, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, Director of the Nuclear Physics Department of the Institute of Physics and Technology;
- Huuenhuu Gonchigdorjin, professor, Director of the Nuclear Physics Department of the National University of Mongolia;
- Ganzorig Zhizhiddorzhin, Vice-Chairman of the Nuclear Energy Board of the government of Mongolia;
- Sangaa Deleg, Vice-Director for scientific activities of the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics;
- Tseepeldorj Baatar, Academician of Mongolian AS, Director of the Laboratory of High Energy Physics MAS;
- Huuenhuu Gonchigdorjin, Academician of Mongolian AS, professor of the National University of Mongolia, Head of the “Nuclear data” Sector of the Centre for Nuclear Research of the Mongolian State University.
2009 – 2011
2011 – present day
2013 – present day
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the member-states. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the member-states the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the member-states, their people and culture.
Head of the national group of Mongolia, Head of the SDCP sector of the Laboratory of Informational Technologies JINR
+7 (49621) 6-25-29
Ochbadrah Chuluunbaatar was born on 24 July 1974. Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Director of sector SDCP LIT JINR.
- New Year – 1 January;
- Lunar New Year (Tsagaan Sar);
- International Women’s Day – 8 March;
- Mother’s and Child’s Day – 1 June;
- National Holiday Naadam – 11, 12 and 13 July;
- Day of Great Genghis Khan ( celebrated on the first day of winter according to lunar calendar)
- Independence Day of Mongolia – 29 December
- On 2 February 2018, a group of Mongolian students studying at the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI visited JINR. The guests were welcomed in the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics, the Laboratory of Information Technologies, and the Museum of History of Science and Technology of JINR.
- On 19 January 2018, President of the New Mongol Academy Janchiv Galbadrakh visited JINR accompanied by Ochirbat Nyamsuren, Head of the Department of Natural Sciences of the New Mongol Institute of Technology
- On 25 — 27 October 2017, a delegation of the joint institute for Nuclear Research paid a working visit to Mongolia to participate in several high-level meetings and a meeting of the organizing committee of an educational conference which will be held in Ulaanbaatar in August 2018
- On 11 July 2017, on the occasion of is the main national holiday of Mongolia, the Naadam holiday dedicated to the anniversary of the National Democratic Revolution, a festive meeting with representatives of the Mongolian national group of JINR was held in the Directorate of the Joint Institute
- On 6 June 2016, a representative delegation of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, headed by JINR Director RAS Academician V.A.Matveev arrived in Mongolia to participate in ceremonial events dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR
- 2 October 2014. By the tradition, the programme of the autumn session of the JINR Scientific Council includes presentation of diplomas to the winners of JINR prizes and diplomas to scientists who were conferred the title “Honorary Doctor of JINR”. At the present session, the newly elected honorary doctors S. Enkhbat and R. Meyer, were dressed in professorial robes for the first time.
- On 11 July 2014, a meeting with Mongolian scientists staff member of the Institute of Physics and Technology of the Mongolian Academy of Sciences Academician Ravdandorj Togoo, JINR staff members Doctor of Physics and Mathematics Ochbadrah Chuluunbaatar, junior scientific researchers Enkhbold Sansarbayar and Altangerel Badmaarag on the occasion of the traditional Mongolian holiday Naadam was held in the JINR Directorate
- On 24 March 2014, a meeting of JINR Director Academician V.A. Matveev was held with Head of the Nuclear Energy Agency of Mongolia (NEAM) N. Tehgshbayar and Head of the Department of Radiation Safety of NEAM Z. Damdinsurehn, who came to Dubna to participate in the events on 26 March
- On 20 November 2013, JINR Director V.A. Matveev presented to JINR Plenipotentiary of Mongolia Professor S. Davaa a congratulatory address to Prime Minister of Mongolia Norovyn Altankhuyag on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the Nuclear Energy Board of the government of Mongolia
- JINR Weekly Newpaper #42 (4182), 18 October 2013: Mongolia: remembering N.Sodnom and looking into the future (Rus)
- JINR Director V.A. Matveev heartily congratulated members of JINR on Naadam holiday on 11 July 2013
- JINR Weekly Newpaper #24 (4164), 21 June 2013: Ulaanbaatar: conference devoted to the memory of Academician N. Sodnom
- The 5th International Conference on Contemporary Physics (ICCP-V) started on 3-6 June 2013 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- On 26 November 2012, Professor of the Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science of MonSU Academician T.Zhanlav and Chief Scientific Researcher of LIT JINR Doctor of Physics and Mathematics O. Chuluunbaatar became laureates of the State Prize of Mongolia of 2012
- The festive events dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the Mongolian State University (MonSU) were held in Ulaanbaatar on 26 September – 5 October 2012
- A delegation from Mongolia consisting of leading officer of the Internationa Cooperation Division of the Nuclear Energy Agency of Mongolia (NEAM) Sh. Munkh-Ochir, senior officer of the NEAM Division of Nuclear Technologies B.Batgerel, Head of sector of the Centre for Nuclear Research of the Mongolian State University (CNR MSU) Professor D. Huuenhuu, Head of CNR MSU N.Norov and scientific researcher Tsembelmaa visited JINR on 27-30 September 2012
- A ceremonial reception on the occasion of the national holiday Naadam, the 806th anniversary of foundation of the Great Mongol State and the 91st anniversary of the National Democratic Revolution was held in the Mongolian Embassy in RF on 28 June 2012.
- A delegation of the Mongolian Embassy in the Russian Federation, consisting of Adviser of the Ambassador B. Dashdorj and the Second Secretary of the Embassy Mr. Zh.Bayarkhuu with their spouses visited Dubna on 26-27 May 2012
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Mongolia to RF Mr. Doloonzhin Idehvkhehten with his spouse and Minister-Counselor Banzragch Samdan visited Dubna on 20-21 January 2012
- A ceremonial reception arranged by the Mongolian Embassy in Moscow on 18 November 2011 on the occasion of the two memorable dates: the 90th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between Russia and Mongolia and the Day of Declaration of Independence of Mongolia
- A JINR delegation, namely Director of the Laboratory of Information Technologies Professor V.V.Ivanov, LIT Deputy Director V.V.Korenkov and ICD Chief Engineer M.G. Loshchilov, at the invitation of JINR Plenipotentiary of Mongolia Academician S.Enkhbat visited Ulaanbaatar on 22-25 August 2011
- A representative delegation of the Mongolian Embassy headed by Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of Mongolia in the Russian Federation Mr. Doloonzhin Idehvkhehten with his spouse visited Dubna on 12-13 March 2010
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of Mongolia in the Russian Federation:
Consular Department of the Embassy of Mongolia in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in Mongolia: