General information on collaboration
The Republic of Armenia, as a part of the USSR, joined JINR according to the agreement signed on 26 March 1956. As a sovereign republic, Armenia has been a member state of JINR since 1992. The participation of Armenian physicists and other experts in direct JINR activity has been intensified. By that moment, strong links with Armenian scientific centres had been formed (Yerevan Physics institute, primarily, and Yerevan State University). The Armenian experts take part in many huge projects carried out by JINR: CMS, COMPASS, ATLAS, IREN and etc. JINR employees from Armenia have gone to Germany, France, Switzerland, Japan and etc. to participate in cooperative experiments and attend in conferences.
Armenian scientists make short-term business trips to JINR to carry out cooperative works and to attend in different scientific forums.
International symposiums (“Symmetry methods in physics” in Yerevan, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010) and Sissakian readings (in Ashtack, 2004) were held in Armenia in cooperation with JINR. The European School of High-Energy Physics (CERN-JINR) was held in Tsachkadsor in 2003, and the 14th International conference “Symmetry methods in physics” was held there in 2010.
In March 2008, Levon Mkrtchian, Minister of Education of the Republic of Armenia, and Samwel Arutiunian, Chairman of Science and Russian Military Engineering Committee, visited Dubna to tackle an issue of Armenia membership in JINR. In December 2009, the International Innovative Nanotechnology Center of the CIS Countries (ININC) was established in Dubna.
10 organisations from 6 countries, including 3 from the Republic of Armenia (National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Learning Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University; Scientific Industrial Enterprise “Nanoamorph Technologia” CJSC established the ININC CIS.
The Centre’s аim is to unite research, education and innovations in nanotechnologies across CIS. This is an open organization for partners membership from the JINR Member States. In prospect, organizations of European states are going to join to the Centre activity.
Activity of the ININC CIS is based on “contact points” being created – ININC CIS branch in representation abroad of the Russian CIS Federal Agency that deals with expatriates in accordance with International Humanitarian Cooperation. The first one is based on the Russian Centre of Science and Culture in Yerevan.
In March 2010, JINR and ININC CIS in cooperation with partners won the huge Government-owned Corporation “Rosnanotech” tender for the right to build infrastructural Nanotechnology Centre in Dubna. This year in August the investment agreement – according to which Nano Centre is being built – with ROSNANO has been endorsed.
During 1995 and 2010 Armenian experts researched 10 Ph.D. theses and 2 doctoral theses in JINR. About 20 scientists and experts from the Republic of Armenia are employees in JINR Directorate.
Evgeny A. Krasavin
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Armenia, Director of the Laboratory of Radiation Biology, JINR
+7 (49621) 6-57-40;
+7 (49621) 6-26-88
Scientists of Armenia take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 4 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
СCooperation on 8 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 1 theme
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 2 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 2 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme
At present JINR actively collaborates with the following scientific organizations of Armenia:
- Yerevan State University
- Alikhanyan Yerevan Physics Institute
- Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems, National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, Yerevan
- Institute for Physical Research of National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Ashtarak
- Russian – Armenian (Slavonic) University, Yerevan
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Armenia in JINR from 2008 to the present day is Samvel Harutyunyan, Chairman of Science State Committee of the Republic of Armenia.
Samvel Harutyunyan, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, professor, Chairman of Science State Committee since 2007, was born on 19 July 1955.
Major scientific achievements
S.Harutyunyan’s research envelopes are molecular physics, biology and pharmacology, macromolecule biophysics and physics of nucleic acids and its complexes. S.Harutyunyan has been working in theoretical physics field connected with description of difficult biological interactions (transformations) mechanisms and transitions in DNA complexes based on thermodynamic approach. All details of real systems such as 1D polymer structure, DNA heterogeneity, ligands interaction which are adsorbed on DNA and etc. are considered in Harutyunyan’s works. He also analyzed polymer melting and molecular interaction influence over collective transition in biopolymers
S.Harutyunyan is an author of the new research method of specific nucleic acid interaction, which became widely used in many scientific world centres dealing with macromolecule biophysics and molecular biology.
The latest works of S.Harutyunyan are on pharmacology on molecular and cellular levels. They are written in collaboration with scientists from the USA, Canada, England, Italy and Belarus.
S.Harutyunyan about JINR:
“JINR has always played the big role in scientific staff training from Armenia in theoretical physics field, nuclear physics and physics of high energy. The scientific cooperation with JINR opens massive opportunities for direct contacts with many member states from both CIS and non-CIS states. Today we are interested in more active participation of students and postgraduates in Educational Programme brought into play in JINR.”
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Armenia in JINR since 1992:
1992 – 2008
- Hamlet Vartapetian, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, Chief Scientific Researcher at the Yerevan Physics Institute;
- Samvel Harutyunyan, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, professor, Chairman of Science State Committee.
2008 – present day
Georgi Poghosyan, Head of the International Centre of the Yerevan State University Prospective Researches in the Republic of Armenia is currently member of the Scientific Council of JINR.
Georgi Poghosyan, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, director of Perspective Research Centre YSU-based, professor in Guadalajara University, member of JINR academic council since 1992, 2008 to present days, was born on 11 July 1952.
Major scientific achievements
Georgi Poghosyan research envelopes are differential equation symmetry, theory of groups, quantum mechanics, theoretical an mathematical physics.
Georgi Poghosyan, in collaboration with L.G. Mardoian, A.N. Sissakian ans V.M. Ter-Antonian, developed for the systems with accidental degeneracy interbasis disintegration theory and found the hidden symmetry in 1D quantum mechanics.
Georgi Poghosyan is an author of more than 100 research articles and monography (with L.G. Mardoian, A.N. Sisakian ans V.M. Ter-Antonian as co-authors) “Quantum Systems with the hidden symmetry” (Physmathlit, 2006).
In last decade Georgi Poghosyan’s works are dedicated to theory of supraintegrated systems in space of constant warp and contractions of algebras and Lie groups. In 2001 in collaboration with P.Winterniz, A.A.Ismestiev and A.N.Sissakian won the First JINR award for Theoretical Physics for the set of works on “Separation of Variables and Lie Algebras Contractions”.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR Member States when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR Member States play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Edik A. Aiarian
Head of the national group of Armenia, Head of Sector, LIT JINR
+7 (49621) 6-48-75
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of the JINR Member States, JINR Directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.
The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the JINR Member States. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the JINR Member States, the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the JINR Member States, their people and culture.
The most celebrated traditional Azerbaijani holidays are:
- New Year – 1-2 January;
- Christmas – 6 January;
- Day of the Armenian Army – 28 January;
- Genocide Remembrance Day – 24 April;
- Victory Day – 9 May;
- Republic Day – 28 May;
- Constitution Day – 5 July;
- Independence Day – 21 September;
- Earthquake Victims Remembrance Day – 7 December.
- On 9 August 2017, the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was visited by a delegation from the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia, headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Vardan Toganyan
- The 5th International School «Symmetry in Integrable Systems and Nuclear Physics» (SISNP-V) will be held on 16 – 23 July 2017 in Tsaghkadzor, Armenia
- The 17th International Conference «Methods of Symmetries in Physics» (SYMPHYS-XVII) is being held on 9-15 July 2017 in Yerevan, Armenia
- President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan received JINR Director, Academician Victor Matveev, JINR Vice-Directors M.G. Itkis and R. Lednický, scientific leader of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions JINR, Academician Yu.Ts. Oganessian on 19 October 2016 in Yerevan
- The JINR Days in Armenia are being held on 19-22 October 2016 in Yerevan
- The IX International Symposium “Quantum Theory and Symmetries” (QTS-9), organized by the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (Dubna, Russia) in collaboration with the Yerevan State University was held on 13—18 July 2015 in Yerevan, Armenia.
- The 16th International Conference «Symmetry Methods in Physics» (SYMPHYS-XVI), dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the birth of Academician Alexei Sissakian (1944-2010), will be held on 13—18 October 2014 in Dubna. The Conference was organized jointly by the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physicsof the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and the A.N.Sissakian International Center for Advanced Studies of the Yerevan State University.
- A JINR delegation that consisted of JINR Vice-Director G.V. Trubnikov, Director of the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics V.V. Voronov, Head of the JINR International Cooperation Department D.V. Kamanin and Senior Researcher of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems G. Torossian visited the capital of Armenia Yerevan on 3—5 September 2014.
- A meeting of the JINR Directorate with representatives of Armenia was held on 8 July 2014
- XIV International Conference “Methods of Symmetries in Physics” (SYMPHYS-XIV) is held in Tsaghkadzor, Armenia, on 16 – 22 August 2010
- Festive events of the JINR Member States. The Independence Day of Armenia. 21 September 2009
- On 16—18 December 2008, Minister of Economy of Armenia Nerses Yeritsyan visited JINR
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Armenia in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in Armenia: