General information on collaboration
The Republic of Armenia, as part of the USSR, joined JINR following the agreement signed on 26 March 1956. As a sovereign state, the Republic of Armenia has been a Member State of JINR since 1992.
The priority but not the only areas of cooperation between Armenia and JINR are theoretical physics and experimental elementary particle physics. Armenian researchers take part in many large projects carried out by JINR: COMPASS, ATLAS, IREN and others. Being a JINR Member State, Armenia takes part in the key CERN experiments, including CMS, ALICE, in which scientific groups of the National Scientific Laboratory (Yerevan Physical Institute) represent the country. In addition to the Yerevan Physical Institute, the Yerevan State University, the Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems of the National Academy of Sciences, the Russian-Armenian (Slavic) University, and others actively cooperate with JINR. Joint projects are carried out by Armenian specialists working at JINR, as well as specialists coming to Dubna for short business trips.
Armenia and JINR organise joint conferences and workshops, including the regular conference “Symmetry Methods in Physics” held in Yerevan since 2001, “Supersymmetry in Integrable Systems” (held alternately in Yerevan, Dubna, and Hanover since 2010). There were also the Sissakian readings (2004, Ashtarak, Armenia), as well as large-scale regular forums exclusively held in Yerevan, including XXVII International Colloquium “Theoretical and Group Methods in Physics” (2008), IX International Conference “Quantum Theory and Symmetry” (2015), XV International Workshop “Supersymmetries and Quantum Symmetries” (2019), V International Conference “Modern Problems of Genetics, Radiobiology, Radioecology, and Evolution” (2021). In 2003, the European School of High-Energy Physics (CERN-JINR) was held in Armenia.
Many Armenian researchers take part in conferences organised by JINR in Dubna and in the Member States.
Young Armenian scientists, undergraduates, and postgraduates participate in the JINR schools and pass training at the JINR University Centre. Since 1992, about 20 researchers from Armenia have prepared and defended their dissertations at JINR.
Vadim A. Bednyakov
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Armenia, Director of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems, JINR
+7 (49621) 6-52-63
Scientists of Armenia take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2022:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
СCooperation on 7 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 4 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 3 themes
- Educational Programme
Cooperation on 1 theme
At present JINR actively collaborates with the following scientific organizations of Armenia:
- Yerevan State University
- Alikhanyan Yerevan Physics Institute
- Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems, National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, Yerevan
- Institute for Physical Research of National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Ashtarak
- Russian – Armenian (Slavonic) University, Yerevan
The Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Armenia in JINR from 2020 to the present day is Sargis Hayotsyan, Chairman of the Science Committee of the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of the Republic of Armenia.
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Armenia in JINR since 1992:
1992 – 2008
- Hamlet Vartapetian, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, Chief Scientific Researcher at the Yerevan Physics Institute;
- Samvel Harutyunyan, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Professor of Yerevan State University.
- Sargis Hayotsyan, Chairman of the Science Committee of the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of the Republic of Armenia.
2008 – 2020
2020 – present day
Armen Nersesyan, Doctor of Science (Physics), Deputy Director at A. Alikhanyan National Science Laboratory of Yerevan Physics Institute, is currently the member of the Scientific Council of JINR from Armenia.
Members of the Scientific Council from Armenia since 1992 were
- Georgi S. Poghosyan, Candidate of physical and mathematical sciences, Senior Researcher of BLTP JINR;
- Grach T. Torosyan, Senior Researcher of the Yerevan Physics Institute;
- Vladimir V. Papoyan, Doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor of the Yerevan State University;
- Valery M. Ter-Antonyan, Doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, professor of the Yerevan State University;
- Gamlet A. Vartapetyan, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, researcher of the Paris Radium Institute, Director of a laboratory, Chief Researcher, Deputy Director of the Yerevan Physics Institute, professor and Head of a department of the Yerevan State University;
- Georgi S. Poghosyan, Doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, Director, Academician A. Sissakian International Centre for Advanced Studies of Yerevan State University, professor of the University of Guadalajara (Guadalajara, Mexico);
- Armen Nersesyan, Deputy Director, A. Alikhanyan National Science Laboratory, Yerevan Physics Institute.
1992 – 1993, 2007
1992 – 2003
2007 – 2008
2008 – 2021
2021 – present time
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR Member States when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other.
Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR Member States play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Edik A. Hayryan
Head of the national group of Armenia, Head of Sector, LIT JINR
+7 (496) 216-48-75
Deputy Head of the national group of Armenia, programmer, LIT JINR
+7 (496) 216-48-75
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of the JINR Member States, JINR Directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure.
The Council of the leaders of the national groups meets periodically. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to its meetings. The agenda includes the discussion of the urgent problems of the collaborators from the JINR Member States. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the JINR Member States, the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the JINR Member States, their people and culture.
The most celebrated traditional Azerbaijani holidays are:
- New Year – 1-2 January;
- Christmas – 6 January;
- Day of the Armenian Army – 28 January;
- Genocide Remembrance Day – 24 April;
- Victory Day – 9 May;
- Republic Day – 28 May;
- Constitution Day – 5 July;
- Independence Day – 21 September;
- Earthquake Victims Remembrance Day – 7 December.
- On 18 April 2022, a one-day International Symposium on Problems of Simulation of Biomolecular Complexes and Interaction with Materials Nanoparticles was held on the platform of the JINR Information Centre recently opened in Yerevan
- On 15 April 2022, a JINR Information Centre was opened on the platform of the Yerevan State University (YSU) and the A. Alikhanyan National Laboratory
- On 15 April 2022, during their visit to Yerevan, JINR Director RAS Academician Grigory Trubnikov and Scientific Leader of the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions RAS Academician Yuri Oganessian were welcomed by Nikol Pashinyan, Prime Minister of Armenia, the JINR Member State
- From 14 to 16 April 2022, a delegation of the Joint Institute headed by JINR Director RAS Academician Grigory Trubnikov visits the Republic of Armenia by invitation of the National Academy of Sciences of the country (NAS RA)
- The Central Bank of Armenia has introduced a commemorative coin dedicated to the chemical element oganesson (Og) since 14 April 2022
- On 14 April 2022 Yuri Oganessian turns 89
- On 18 January 2022, President of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia Ashot Sagyan visited JINR
- On 18 March 2021, the JINR Directorate met with new Plenipotentiary Representative of the Government of the Republic of Armenia in JINR, Chairman of the Science Committee of the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of the Republic of Armenia Sargis Hayotsyan and his deputy Artur Movsisyan
- On 28 – 30 October 2019, a meeting of a regular committee on the cooperation of JINR with the Republic of Armenia was held in Yerevan
- On 4 April 2019, Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Armenia Araik Harutyunyan and Minister of Transport, Communication and Information Technologies Hakob Arshakyan paid a reconnaissance visit to JINR
- On 9 August 2017, the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was visited by a delegation from the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia, headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Vardan Toganyan
- The 5th International School «Symmetry in Integrable Systems and Nuclear Physics» (SISNP-V) will be held on 16 – 23 July 2017 in Tsaghkadzor, Armenia
- The 17th International Conference «Methods of Symmetries in Physics» (SYMPHYS-XVII) is being held on 9-15 July 2017 in Yerevan, Armenia
- President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan received JINR Director, Academician Victor Matveev, JINR Vice-Directors M.G. Itkis and R. Lednický, scientific leader of the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions JINR, Academician Yu.Ts. Oganessian on 19 October 2016 in Yerevan
- The JINR Days in Armenia are being held on 19-22 October 2016 in Yerevan
- The IX International Symposium “Quantum Theory and Symmetries” (QTS-9), organized by the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (Dubna, Russia) in collaboration with the Yerevan State University was held on 13—18 July 2015 in Yerevan, Armenia.
- The 16th International Conference «Symmetry Methods in Physics» (SYMPHYS-XVI), dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the birth of Academician Alexei Sissakian (1944-2010), will be held on 13—18 October 2014 in Dubna. The Conference was organized jointly by the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physicsof the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and the A.N.Sissakian International Center for Advanced Studies of the Yerevan State University.
- A JINR delegation that consisted of JINR Vice-Director G.V. Trubnikov, Director of the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics V.V. Voronov, Head of the JINR International Cooperation Department D.V. Kamanin and Senior Researcher of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems G. Torossian visited the capital of Armenia Yerevan on 3—5 September 2014.
- A meeting of the JINR Directorate with representatives of Armenia was held on 8 July 2014
- XIV International Conference “Methods of Symmetries in Physics” (SYMPHYS-XIV) is held in Tsaghkadzor, Armenia, on 16 – 22 August 2010
- Festive events of the JINR Member States. The Independence Day of Armenia. 21 September 2009
- On 16—18 December 2008, Minister of Economy of Armenia Nerses Yeritsyan visited JINR
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of Armenia in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in Armenia: