General information on collaboration
A new stage of closer cooperation between JINR and the Arab Republic of Egypt started on March 3, 2009 when the Agreement between the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, the Government of ARE was signed. At the same time, ties among JINR, national scientific centres of Egypt and Egyptian scientists have existed for a very long time.
Scientific contacts among Egyptian physicists and their colleagues from Dubna were established at the end of the 1960s – the beginning of the 1970s, when Ahmed El-Nagy and Mohammed Sherif started to take part in the studies using the photoemulsion techniques at the Laboratory of High Energies (at the group headed by K.D.Tolstoy). The cooperation with the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, Cairo University, University of Menofia and Tabbin Institute for Metallurgical Studies was carried out within the framework of agreements (protocols). In particular, the protocols fixed terms of exchange of scientists and scientific and technical information; in accordance with them JINR granted fellowships to several Egyptian specialists. No less than 15 specialists became JINR fellowship holders. Seven Egyptian specialists defended their theses at JINR.
The majority of scientists who collaborate in joint studies with JINR carry them out at Egyptian institutes using methods and techniques developed at JINR and come for short visits to Dubna. In 2010 Prof. Tarek Hussein and Prof. Hussein El Samman paid working visits to JINR. Tamer Abuelfadl visited FLNP, Eman Hamza visited BLTP to carry out joint research. Ali Khalil, Nasser Sweilam, Osama Fouad and Khaled Hegab visited JINR as the experts in the course of preparation for the 1st Joint Coordination Committee on JINR-ARE Cooperation.
In 2011 within the framework of the funded joint research projects approved by the 1st Joint Coordination Committee JINR hosted 17 visitors from ARE; by 1 January 2012 the total number of days of their stay in JINR amounted to 613 days. In its turn, ARE hosted 6 visitors, and the total number of days of their stay has amounted to 59. Also, an Egyptian researcher, Dr. Mohamed Abdelhady, visited INFN (Gran Sasso, Bologna, Italy) for 7 days within the framework of the joint project. It should also be noted that 4 researchers from JINR participated in the 8th Conference on Nuclear and Particle Physics (NUPPAC’11), which was held in Hurghada, ARE, 20-24 November, 2011.
In 2010-2012, an Egyptian student, Mahmoud Gaafar, was granted the BLTP fellowship and worked at JINR. It further allowed him to become Master of Science in Egypt, publish 4 papers and make reports at 3 international conferences, including the International Conference «Mathematical Modeling and Computational Physics» in Stara Lesna, Slovakia on 4-8 July 2011; and the International Superconductive Electronics Conference (ISEC 2011) in Holland, Hague, on 18-23 September 2011.
Every year since 2009 a Practice for Young Specialists from ARE has been held at JINR.The 1st Practice for Young Specialists from ARE was held on October 18-November 8, 2009, the 2nd Practice– May 16-June 6, 2010, the 3rd Practice – May 15-June 5, 2011. In 2012 the 4th Practice was held from May 13 to June 3, 2012, 15 young specialists from ARE participated in the Practice. The 5th Practice was held from May 12 to June 2, 2013; the 6th Practice – from May 19 to June 8, 2014. During these schools the participants have lectures and practical training at JINR laboratories. The knowledge and experience gained at these schools allow their participants to continue their studies in Egypt and give them an opportunity to be involved in the JINR-ARE joint research projects.
Thus, fruitful scientific cooperation of Egyptian physicists with JINR scientists continues to consolidate and grow. Due to this cooperation, new opportunities to develop direct contacts with the largest accelerating centers of the world open to scientists from the Arab Republic of Egypt.
Executive of the contacts with the Arab Republic of Egypt, Vice-Director of JINR.
+7 (49621) 6-51-26
+7 (49621) 6-25-82
JINR-ARE Cooperation Coordinator, officer of the International Cooperation Department
+7 (49621) 6-34-16
Egyptian scientists take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
«Theory of Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Reactions»
leaders: V.V. Voronov, A.I. Vdovin, N.V. Antonenko (BLTP);
on the Egyptian side – EAEA, CU.
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
«Development of the JINR Basic Facility for Generation of Intense Heavy Ion and Polarized Nuclear Beams Aimed at Searching for the Mixed Phase of Nuclear Matter and Investigation of Polarization Phenomena at the Collision Energies up to √sNN = 11 GeV/n»
leaders: A.S. Sorin (Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics), V.D. Kekelidze (VBLHEP),
on the Egyptian side – ECTP.
- Nuclear Physics
«Accelerator Complex of Ion Beams of Stable and Radioactive Nuclides (DRIBs-III)»
leaders: G.G.Gulbekian, S.N. Dmitriev, Yu.Ts. Oganessian (FLNR), M.G. Itkis;
on the Egyptian side – CU, MU;
«Synthesis and Properties of Nuclei at the Stability Limits»
leaders: M.G. Itkis, Yu.Ts. Oganessian,
on the Egyptian side – CU, MU;
«Investigations in the Field of Nuclear Physics with Neutrons»
leaders: V.N. Shvetsov (FLNP)
on the Egyptian side – Alexandria Univ., EAEA, MU.
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
«Investigations of Condensed Matter by Modern Neutron Scattering Methods»
leaders: D.P. Kozlenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov
on the Egyptian side – EAEA, CU.
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
«Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR»
leader: V.V. Korenkov (LIT),
on the Egyptian side – CU.
- Educational Programme
«Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme»
leaders: V.A. Matveev, S.Z.Pakuliak (UC),
on the Egyptian side – ASRT.
|Project number||Project title||
Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions
|#101||New setup for on-line separation of reaction products by means of selective laser ionization||
Prof. V.I. Zagrebaev
Prof. El Samman
Low-energy nuclear reactions with heavy ions leading to formation of neutron rich heavy and superheavy nuclei
( NRV-projects: http://nrv.jinr.ru/nrv )
Prof. Mahmoud Y. Ismail
Laboratory of Information Technologies
Development of Grid segment in Egypt and its integration to the JINR GridEdu infrastructure
Prof. V.V. Korenkov
Eng. Nasser Mohamed Omran
Laboratory of Radiation Biology
|#301||Mathematical Modeling of Genetic Regulatory Networks in Bacterial and Higher Eukaryotic Cells||
Dr. Oleg V. Belov,
Prof. Dr. Nasser Sweilam
Molecular Dynamics Research (MD simulation studies for the radiobiological problems)
Purchase of the dedicate computer for Cairo University
Prof. K. T. Kholmurodov,
Prof. Nasser Sweilam
Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics
Neutron Methods Applied to Novel Materials Technology
Dr. D.P. Kozlenko
Prof. Samy ATALA
|#405||Assessment of the environmental situation in the delta of the Nile River using nuclear and related analytical techniques.||
Prof. M.V. Frontasyeva,
Prof. Hussein El-Samman
|Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics
|#501||Theory of condensed matter and new materials||
Prof. Yu. M. Shukrinov,
Prof. Tharwat El Sherbini
Prof. Hussein El Samman
|#503||Nuclear structure and reactions: superheavy and exotic nuclei||
Prof. V.K. Lukyanov,
Prof. M.Y. Ismail
|Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics
Nuclear track emulsion in nuclear and neutron researches (the BECQUEREL Project)
Dr. P. Zarubin
Prof. Tawfik Ghoneim
|#603||NICA Theory (Universal freeze out conditions and the return to chiral symmetry breaking in hadronization at NICA energies.)||
PI Abdel Tafik
Prof. Richard Lednicky
Prof. Tarek Hussein
|Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems
|#702||Expert exchange in Nuclear Medicine||
Prof. E.M. Syresin
Prof. Nadia Zakhari
- El Nagy Ahmed Ahmed
1993 г. – Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences –LHE
“Interaction of π-mesons, protons, nuclei and neutrinos with photoemulsion nuclei at high energy”
- Al-Sayed Mohammed Abou El Azm Abdel Shakar
1996 г. – Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – FLNR
“Luminescence α Al2O3 stimulated by heavy ions with the energy ≥ 1 MeV/a.e.m.”
- Mohamed Nashat Mohamed Elshazly
1999 г. – Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – FLNR
- Arafat Mohamed Ahmed Adavy
2002 г. – Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – ЛЯР
“Radiation induced modifications of optical, electrical and mechanical properties of glasses, dielectrics and semiconductors”
- Hella H.M.E.
2003 г. – Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – LHE
“Experimental study of transmutation of some radioactive wastes using the relativistic proton beam”
- Abdel Ghani Fatah Hassan Elt-Sayed
2004 г. – Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – FLNR-FLNP
“Study of fusion reactions induced by 4,6He and 7Li ion beams”
- Ali Saied Ezz El Din Khalil
2006 г. – Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences – FLNR
“Investigation of Sputtering of Solids Induced by Swift Heavy Ions”
Owing to the Agreement signed at the level of governments between the Arab Republic of Egypt and JINR, new opportunities to continue and develop the program of cooperation with Egypt within the framework of approved joint research projects arose. Such approach to the countries working within the framework of bilateral agreements proved to be quite good. The JINR-RSA cooperation may serve as an example in this context.
The Joint Coordination Committee was formed to solve current issues of the JINR-ARE cooperation and includes three permanent representatives from each side and experts nominated in specific tasks of the Committee.
The Joint Coordination Committee includes:
- Prof. R.Lednický, Vice-Director,
- Dr. D.V.Kamanin, Head of the International Cooperation Department,
- Dr. S.Z. Pakuliak, Director of the JINR University Center;
- Dr. O.Culicov, Deputy Director for science, FLNP.
- Prof. Mahmoud Sakr, Vice President, Academy of Scientific Research and Technology,
- Prof. Tarek Hussein, Cairo University,
- Prof. Hussein El-Samman, University of Menofia,
- Prof. Samy Shaaban Ata-Allah Soliman, Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority
At present, JINR actively cooperates with the following organizations of the Arab Republic of Egypt:
The Representative of the government of the Arab Republic of Egypt to JINR from 2009 to the present day is Professor Mohamed Tarek Hussein Zakaria, Advisor of the President, former President of the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology.
Prof. Tarek Hussein, born on 22.04.1952, is a theoretical physicist whose research focuses on phenomenological models of hadronic interactions in particle physics and the clustering phenomena of particle production in hadron-nucleus and nucleus-nucleus interactions. In 2004-2007 he was the President of the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology in Egypt, Professor of Theoretical Physics and Vice Dean for Education at the Faculty of Science, Cairo University. Since 2006 he has also been the manager of Cairo University’s Center for Advanced Interdisciplinary Sciences. He is a Member of the Council of Atomic Energy Authority, Egypt.
Prof. T.Hussein received his B.Sc. and PhD in High Energy Particle Physics from Cairo University and has spent most of his career there. In 1995, he was awarded the Egyptian Prize in Physics and in 2000 he was awarded the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Medal in Physics.
Prof. T.Hussein coordinated the Egyptian National Committee on Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) in 2006. In 2010 he was elected Vice President of the Counsel on the SESAME project. He is also a member of the Egyptian Physics Society.
Prof. Tarek Hussein about the Cooperation with JINR:
Strong historical and scientific ties have been maintained between Egypt and JINR since the 1960s. This has been done through bilateral agreements with Cairo University, the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, the University of Menoufia and the National Institute for Astronomical and Geophysical Research. It allowed exchange of scientists and researchers and joint research for the benefit of both parties.
The Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology as the coordinator of the research centers in Egypt demonstrated its willingness to closer cooperation with JINR within the framework of a bilateral agreement on the governmental level, that will allow Egyptian scientific institutes to participate in JINR activities, to use its basic facilities and to participate in the committees of the basic areas of scientific interest to Egypt, as well as to participate in meetings of the Scientific Council of JINR and bilateral or multilateral research that is organized in the Russian and/or Egyptian research centers.
The Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology hopes that this cooperation will offer a good opportunity for training young Egyptian researchers in various fields in numerous disciplines developed at JINR, as well as in research applications of nuclear safety, radiation biology and nanotechnology.
Egypt plans to develop cooperation with other Russian scientific and educational organizations, but the project with Dubna shows good promise to be the largest in Russia.
Coordinator of the JINR-ARE Cooperation on the ARE side
- Christmas – January 7;
- Egyptian Revolution Day – January 25;
- Sinai Liberation Day – April 25;
- Labour Day – May 1;
- Revolution Day – July 23;
- Armed Forces Day – October 6.
- On Saturday, 22 July 2017, in total 247 Egyptian students of different specialties (physics, nuclear engineering, chemistry, biology etc), who had applied for participation in the 3rd stage of the International Student Practice which will be held in the JINR University Centre on 10 – 30 September, were interviewed in the headquarters of the Egyptian Academy of Sciences and Technology (ASRT) in Cairo.
- The international training course, which took place from 17 to 21 April 2017 and participants of which were 11 scientific and administrative specialists from Associated Members and Partner Countries of JINR (Egypt, Zambia, Oman, Russia, Serbia and Tunisia) came to an end
- On 1 – 4 December 2016, Dubna will host events in the frames of educational programmes for development of international cultural relations, with the participation of the following artistic groups: the “RHYTHM” Dance Studio (Dubna, Russia), the “Hamsa” Center Eastern and Mediterranean Art (Athens, Greece) and the Mona El Said Dance School (Hurghada, Egypt).
- In August 2016, the JINR Visit Centre started the training programme for colleagues from the JINR Member States and Associated Members; the programme is aimed at development of the information base of cooperation. On 9 August 2016, the first trainees from Egypt started their work in the JINR Visit Centre.
- On 23 August 2015, the meeting of Minister of the higher education of Arab Republic of Egypt Alsaid Abdelkhalek, Rector of the Egyptian-Russian university in Cairo Cheriffe Helmi and Director of Bureau of Culture of Egyptian Embassy in Moscow Atef Mohamed with JINR directorate including V.A. Matveev, R. I. Lednitsky, G. V. Trubnikov and N. A. Russakovich, was held.
- The first stage of the International student summer practice in JINR fields of research started on 25 May 2015 in the JINR University Centre. 26 students and young scientists from universities and research centres of the Arab Republic of Egypt came to Dubna.
- The opening of the Forum “JINR-Egypt. 5 years together” devoted to the five-year fruitful cooperation between the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and research centers of Egypt was held on 2 March 2015 in the city named after the 6th October near Cairo.
- The Forum “JINR-Egypt. 5 years together” which was started on 2 March 2015 in the city named after the 6th October was finished on 6 March 2015 in Cairo.
- Chairman of the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority Professor Atef A. Abdel-Fattah and Vice-Chairman of the Authority Professor Samy Sh. Soliman spent their workweek from 12 to 16 January 2015 in JINR.
- The first stage of the International student summer practice in JINR fields of research started on 19 May 2014 in the JINR University Centre. 24 students and young scientists from universities and research centers of the Arab Republic of Egypt came to Dubna.
- The fifth Session of the Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) on cooperation between the Arab Republic of Egypt and JINR was held on 30-31 October 2013 in Cairo.
- The first stage of the traditional International summer student practice started on 13 May 2013 at the JINR University Centre. Students from the Arab Republic of Egypt came to participate in this stage of the practice.
- June 1, 2012 Cultural Counsellor of the Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the Russian Federation Professor Osama El-Serwy, accompanied by his wife Mrs. Alia, and President of Egyptian Students Group in RF Mustafa Elbuz visited JINR.
- The first stage of the International student practice in JINR fields of research of 2012 started on 14 May, 2012. 15 students from Egypt came to participate in the practice.
- February 7-10, 2012 in Egypt, El Quseir, the third session of the Joint Coordination Committee on the ARE-JINR Cooperation was held.
- January 25, 2012 JINR representatives: Head of the JINR International Cooperation Department D.V. Kamanin and ICD Coordinator of the JINR-ARE cooperation E.V.Pryanichnikova participated in a festive reception arranged by the Egyptian Embassy in Moscow, on the occasion of the 1st anniversary of the Revolution of the Great People of Egypt celebrated on January 25.
- January 13, 2012 A researcher from the Atomic Energy Authority of Egypt Dr. Wael Mahmoud Badawy and a demonstrator from the Faculty of Science – South Valley University (Qena) Khaled Ali Mohammad arrived in Dubna in December, 2011, to carry out the experimental part of Project #405 “Assessment of the environmental situation in the Nile Delta using nuclear and related analytical techniques”.
- July 20, 2011 JINR delegation headed by JINR Elected Director Academician V.A.Matveev participated in a festive reception arranged by the Egyptian Embassy in Moscow on 20 July 2011 on the occasion of the Independence Day of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- July 7, 2011 The second Session of the Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between ARE and JINR was held as a videoconference.
- June 3, 2011 Ambassador of Egypt in RF Dr. Alaa Elhadidi accompanied by Cultural Counsellor Professor Magdi Elias Fares Somoul and Counsellor of the Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Moscow visited JINR on 3 June 2011.
- May 26, 2011 A JINR delegation headed by JINR Vice-Director R. Lednický took part in a reception organized by Extraordinary Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Arab Republic of Egypt in the Russian Federation Mr. Mohamed H. E. Alaa al-Hadidi, in view of holding practice for young researchers from Egypt at JINR on 16 May – 3 June 2011.
- On Monday 16 May 2011 a regular practice (the 3rd in the last 18 months) for students of universities of the Arab Republic of Egypt started.
- November 30, 2010 The 1st Joint Coordination Committee of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the Arab Republic of Egypt and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research started its work in the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (Cairo).
«JINR News» – №1, 2011 (Scientific cooperation, p. 42)
- November 13, 2010 The visit of the delegation of experts from the Arab Republic of Egypt headed by Professor Hussein El Samman at JINR was finished.
- From 9 to 11 November 2010 a group of experts from the Arab Republic of Egypt headed by the Cooperation Coordinator Professor Hussein El Samman arrived at JINR for a three-day visit to elaborate a programme of joint work in the frames of the agreement between ARE and JINR.
«JINR News» – №1, 2011 (Scientific cooperation, p. 42)
Contact information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in the Russian Federation:
- 119034, Moscow, Kropotkinsky lane 12
Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in the Russian Federation
Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Arab Republic of Egypt: