General Information on Cooperation
The Republic of Cuba became a Member State of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research. The Committee of Plenipotentiaries of Governments of the JINR Member States having considered the appeal of the Cuban Government on the intention to join the Agreement on establishment of JINR signed on 26 March 1956 and on the recognition of the JINR Charter, accepted the Republic of Cuba as a JINR Member State.
First collaborators from Cuba were theoretical physicists Rolando Durán, Jorge Molina and Carlos Rodriguez. In the following years, the number of Cuban researchers at JINR has been increasing: Cuban physicists worked not only in LTP, but also in other JINR laboratories as well (LNR, LNP, LIT).
The first staff member from Cuba at JINR was Dr. Castro Diaz Balart, who worked at JINR in 1972–1974 under the name of Jose Raul Fernandez Diaz.
In the early 1980s, FLNR researchers regularly visited their colleagues in Havana to participate in construction of the microtron. At the beginning of the 1990s, a large delegation of DLNP and FLNR specialists was sent to Cuba on the invitation of the host country that was going to construct its own cyclotron centre. However, due to economic challenges in the country of that time, the project was not implemented. In the late 1990s, JINR staff members visited Havana for several times to support operation of the microtron.
1981. 25th anniversary of JINR. Plenipotentiary representative of Republic of Cuba in JINR O.L. Caballero presented a congratulatory address to JINR Director Academician N.N. Bogoliubov
1983 – 1989
Professor Elias Entralgo is a JINR Vice-Director of JINR.
Unfortunately, the challenging economic situation of the 1990s influenced the participation of Cuba in the JINR activities, and since 1992, Cuba did not pay its membership fee. Since 1997, Cuba did not participate in almost all JINR activities. Collaboration activities were renewed in 2006.
Jorge Fernández Chamero was appointed as Plenipotentiary Representative of the Republic of Cuba.
Jorge Fernández Chamero and M.G. Itkis
Beginning of Cuba’s membership renewal process. Negotiations were held with the Scientific Advisor to the President of the Republic of Cuba, Prof. Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart with representatives of the Government and the Nuclear Energy and Advanced Technology Agency (AENTA).
G.M. Arzumanyan, Fidel Castro Díaz-Balart, M.G. Itkis, N.A. Russakovich
Professor Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart, Advisor to the President of Republic of Cuba, Vice-President of the Academy of Sciences of Cuba, appointed as Plenipotentiary Representative of the Republic of Cuba.
Within the framework of cooperation renewal, Cuban physicists Dr. Antonio Leyva Fabelo and MSc. Adelmo Montalvan Estrada started work at JINR in the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems and the Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions.
Delegation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba headed by Minister Dr. Elba Rosa Pérez Montoya visited JINR on 2 June 2015. Students from Cuba participate in the International Student Practice of the JINR University Centre.
Delegation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba
Currently, the cooperation of Cuba and JINR is developing successfully in different directions.
Cuban scientists are involved in several research programs of the Institute, including the development of new semiconductor detectors for fundamental and applied research, the physics programme of the SPD and MPD detectors in the frames of the NICA mega-science Project, and the modernization of the LINAC-800 linear electron accelerator.
More than 20 young Cuban scientists have already participated in the educational programmes of JINR. Starting in 2014, Cuban students have continuously participated in the JINR Summer Student Programmes. Since 2015, Cuba has participated in the International Student Practice (ISP) as well.
In the period 2015 – 2019, nine graduate students of InSTEC have completed internships at the DLNP JINR, which have allowed them to complete their Bachelor theses with outstanding results obtained in this laboratory of recognized international prestige.
Since 2017, annually, Cuba is also participating in the International Training Program for Decision Makers in Science and International Scientific Cooperation of the JINR (JEMS), and in the Helmholtz International Summer School on the theme “Nuclear Theory and Astrophysical Applications”.
Aleksandr N. Bugay
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of Cuba, Director of the Laboratory of Radiation Biology JINR
+7 (49621) 6-37-16
fax: +7 (49621) 6-59-48
Scientists from the Republic of Cuba participate in scientific themes of the Topical Plan for JINR Research and International Cooperation in 2021.
At present, JINR actively cooperates with the Higher Institute of Applied Science and Technology and the Cuban Scientific Centre CEADEN.
Since March 2019, the Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Republic of Cuba in JINR is Angelina Díaz García, Director-General of the Centre for Advanced Research of Cuba (Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Cuba – CEAC, Havana).
The plenipotentiaries of the government of the Republic of Cuba in JINR since 2007:
2007 – 2013
- Jorge Fernandes Chamero, Director of a department of the Minestry of Sciences, technologies and Environment of Cuba;
- Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart, Scientific Advisor to the President of Republic of Cuba;
- Angelina Díaz García, Director-General of the Centre for Advanced Research of Cuba (Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Cuba – CEAC, Havana).
2013 – 2018
2019 – present day
Since June 2019, the member of the JINR Scientific Council is Dr. Iván Padrón Díaz, Director of the Centre of Technological Applications and Nuclear Development (Havana).
Members of the Scientific Council from Cuba since 1976 were:
1976, 1980 – 1986
- Valuerdi Monico Leonard, Director of the CAS Department of Science and Technology, Scientific Secretary of the National Board of Cuba for Peaceful Use of Nuclear Energy, professor, Head of the Department of the Executive Secretariat for Nuclear Issues of the Cuban Council of Ministers, Senior Researcher of FLNR JINR;
- Ernandes Aurelo Tulio, Deputy Director of INP CAS, Researcher of FLNR JINR;
- Melian Manuel, staff member of the Cuban Ambassy in USSR, staff member of the Executive Secretariat for Nuclear Issues of the Cuban Council of Ministers;
- Entralgo Elias, Deputy Director of INP CAS;
- Rubio Derbi, Researcher of FLNR JINR;
- Rigol Jorge, Researcher of FLNP JINR;
- Toledo René, Researcher of DLNP JINR;
- Aurelo Tuleo, Representative of the Cuban Ambassy in USSR;
- Cabesas Roberto, Head of a department of INP, Senior Researcher of the Centre for Applied Nuclear Research;
- Codorniu Daniel, INP Director, Director of the Centre for Applied Nuclear Research;
- Pedrero Edwin, Head of a Department of INP, professor, Head of a Department in the Centre for Applied Nuclear Research, Prorector of the Higher Institute for Nuclear Physics and Technologies;
- Lopez Roberto, Head of a Department in the Higher Institute for Nuclear Physics and Technologies, researcher;
- Fernandez Francisco, Senior Researcher of LCTA-JINR;
- José Morin, Advisor to the Cuban Ambassy in Russia, Chairman of Executive Secretariat for Nuclear Issues;
- Rigol Jorge, Senior Researcher of FLNR JINR;
- Blanca José, Scientific Advisor to the Cuban Ambassy in Russia, Doctor of physical and mathematical sciences, Vice-Chairman of the Cuban Nuclear Energy Agency;
- Fernando Gusman Martinez, Rector of the Higher Institute for Technologies and Applied Sciences;
- Ivan Padron Diaz, Director of the Centre for Applied Technologies and Nuclear Development (Havana);
- Anjelina Diaz Garcia, Director of the Centre for Advanced Research of Cuba – CEAC (Havana);
- Iván Padrón Díaz, Director of the Centre of Technological Applications and Nuclear Development (Havana).
1978 – 1979
1981, 1983, 1985
1984 – 1985
1987, 1989, 1990
1987 – 1988, 1990 – 1991
1991 – 1993
1993 – 1996
2007 – 2012
2012 – 2016
2016 – 2019
2019 – present day
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR Member States when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other. Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR Member States play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Antonio Leyva Fabelo,
Head of the national group of the Republic of Cuba, DLNP JINR Senior Researcher
+7 (496) 216-21-11
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of the Member States, the JINR Directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the staying of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with organization of their life and leisure. The Council of the leaders of the national groups has regular meetings. The representatives of the Directorate and the services of the Institute are invited to these meetings. The agenda includes discussion of urgent problems of the collaborators from the Member States. Due to this, the Directorate is able to make adequate decisions in time.
On the occasions of major public holidays of the Member States, the national groups arrange receptions. These festive events are held accompanied by art exhibitions, photo exhibitions, and enrich JINR staff members’ knowledge about the JINR Member States, their people and culture.
- Liberation Day of Cuba – January 1-2
- International Workers’ Day – May 1
- National Uprising Day. Attack on the barracks of Moncada and Carlos Manuel de Cespedes by a group led by Fidel Castro in 1953 – July 26. Also are holidays – July 25 and 27
- Anniversary of the start of the war for independence from Spanish colonialism in 1868 – October 10
- Catholic Christmas – December 25
- The new year’s eve party and celebration on the eve of the victory of the Cuban Revolution in 1959 – December 31
- On 12 May 2021, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Cuba in the Russian Federation Julio Antonio Garmendia Peña visited JINR.
- On 20 September 2019, a delegation from the Republic of Cuba visited JINR. The delegation was represented by a staff member of the Centre of Advanced Research of Cuba Osmani Perez and Councillor of the Nuclear Energy and Advanced Technology Agency Hose Luiz Dona. During the visit, Head of the National Group of Cuban staff members in JINR Dr. Antonio Leyva Fabelo accompanied the delegation. The guests visited the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions, were acquainted with the Nanocentre and the DC-280 cyclotron, and the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems were visited the production and research site of the Medipixs and MicroMegas detectors.
- On 13 September 2019, in the frames of the 13th regular International Training Programmme for decision-makers in science and international scientific cooperation (JEMS), an agreement on cooperation between JINR and the Havana University was signed by JINR Director Academician V. A. Matveev and Dean of the Higher Institute of Technology and Applied Sciences of the Havana University (InSTEC) Guillermo Valdes.
- On 18 April 2019, a delegation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of the Republic of Cuba and the Embassy of Cuba in the Russian Federation visited JINR. First Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba Fernando Gonzalez, Councilor of the Embassy of Cuba in Russia Vivian Hitchman, Deputy Director for international contacts of the Ministry Carlos Mendez and Specialist of the Embassy of Cuba in Russia Raul Romero represented the delegation that came to Dubna.
- From 25 February to 5 March 2019, a team of JINR staff members headed by JINR Vice-Director B.Yu. Sharkov worked in Havana. The aim of the delegation’s visit was to get acquainted with tasks and opportunities of the Centre for Advanced Research of Cuba and to discuss plans for cooperation and joint research.
- On 28 February 2018, a representative delegation of the Republic of Cuba visited JINR. The delegation was represented by Deputy Minister of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba Danilo Alonso Mederoz, Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of Cuba in the Russian Federation Gerardo Peñalver Portal, President of the Nuclear Energy and Advanced Technology Agency (AENTA), Director of the Centre of Applied Technologies and Nuclear Development (CEADEN) Angelina Díaz García, AENTA Assistant Chairman on Economic and Financial Affairs José Luis Dona, International Cooperation Expert of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba Carlos Mendez, Minister Counsellor of the Embassy of Cuba in Moscow Rolando Zayas Bu. In JINR, the delegation was accompanied by DLNP researcher Professor Antonio Leyva Fabelo.
- On 20 January 2018, JINR Senior Researcher Professor Antonio Leyva Fabelo was honoured with the Order “Carlos Juan Finlay”, the highest scientific award of the Republic of Cuba
- On 22 August 2017, a JINR delegation participated in the 2nd Meeting of Russia-Cuba Working group on cooperation in science, technology and environment. Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Russian Federation, Plenipotentiary of the Russian government in JINR, academician G.V. Trubnikov was the co-Chairman from the Russian side. The Institute was represented by Deputy Director of the JINR University Centre, A. S. Zhemchugov and Head of the JINR International Cooperation Department, D.V. Kamanin.
- The JINR Days in Latin America were held on 1 – 5 February 2016 in Havana in the frames of the celebration of the 60th anniversary of JINR. Leaders of JINR participated in the festive events
- 22 December 2015, Dubna. According to the long-term tradition to congratulate employees of the JINR Member States on national holidays, for the first time in many years, the JINR Directorate has an opportunity to congratulate representatives of the Cuban national group at JINR Dr. Antonio Leyva Fabelo and MSc. Adelmo Montalvan Estrada, who has been working in the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems and the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions since the end of 2014, on the Liberation Day in Cuba, which is officially celebrated on January 1
- A delegation from Cuba headed by Director of the Department of International Relations Advisor for Science of the State Council of the Republic of Cuba Ms. Lídice Gutierrez visited JINR on 24 November 2015. The guests visited the JINR University Centre and the cyclotron complex of the Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions; they also were acquainted with the main research directions of the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems. The Cuban delegation also visited the State University “Dubna”.
- July 2015. Students from Cuba came to JINR to participate in the International Student Practice of the Iniversity Centre
- A delegation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment of Cuba headed by Minister Dr. Elba Rosa Pérez Montoya visited JINR on 2 June 2015
- Rector of the Higher Institute of Technology and Applied Sciences Dr. Barbara Garea Moreda and other members of the directorate of this Cuban education Institution visited JINR and the International University of Nature, Society and Man «Dubna» on 9 December 2014
- September 2014. The Republic of Cuba delegated its representatives Senior Scientific Researchers Dr. Antonio Leyva Fabelo and MSc. Adelmo Montalvan Estrada to work in JINR
- JINR Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Cuba Professor Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart became Honored Professor of the Lomonosov Moscow State University on 27 September 2013
- On 12 February 2013, JINR Vice-Director M.G.Itkis and Head of the JINR International Cooperation Department D.V.Kamanin visited the Embassy of the Republic of Cuba in Moscow at the invitation of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Cuba to the Russian Federation Mr. Emilio Lozada Garsia
- At the invitation of JINR Plenipotentiary of Cuba Jorge L. Fernández Chamero JINR delegation headed by JINR Acting Director M.G.Itkis visited Habana on 25-30 April 2011
- 18 May 2010. Director of the Institute of scientific-technical Information of the Republic of Cuba (IDKIT) Carmen Sanchez and Head of the IDKIT International relations Department Lourdes Machado spent three days at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
- On 10 September 2008, Scientific Adviser of the President of the Republic of Cuba Prof. Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart and the Ambassador of the Republic of Cuba Juan Valdez Figueroa visited Dubna
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of Cuba:
- Embajada de la Federación de Rusia, 5-a Avenida, N 6402, entre 62 y 66, Miramar, La Habana, Cuba
Consulate General of the Russian Federación in Havana:
- Consulado General de la Federación de Rusia, 5ta. Ave. Esq. A 66, Miramar, La Habana, Cuba
General Consulate of the Russian Federación in Santiago de Cuba:
- Consulado General de la Federación de Rusia, Calle 4, esq. 7, N 202, Vista Alegre, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba