Общая информация о сотрудничестве
Academician Bruno Pontecorvo is a peculiar symbol of links between JINR and Italy. He was born Italian and most of his life lived in Russia and worked in Dubna productively. In 1963 he was awarded the Lenin prize for experimental and theoretical physics researches of neutron and weak interactions – for works in that science field, where Italian scientists and scientists from Dubna do researches up to present.
JINR has kept in touch with Italian physicists since its foundation. At first, Italian scientists visited JINR by directory invitation, and JINR employees visited Italy in return. Professor G. Vatagin, professor T. Regge, professor A. Zichichi and other famous Italian physicists gave lectures on problems of experimental and theoretical physics in Dubna.
In the late of the 60s a new stage of development of JINR cooperation with Italian scientific centres started: scientists began to do collaborative experiments at synchrocyclotron of the Laboratory of Nuclear Problems in JINR (LNP JINR) and at proton accelerator in Protvino. The aim of the first such experiment (1968) was a study of elastic and inelastic pion scattering on helium nuclei with streamer cameras. Physicists from Torino under the direction of professor G. Perugino and a national laboratory in Frascati headed by professor R. Scrimaglio participated most actively from the part of Italy. J.A. Shcherbakov and I.V. Phalomkin headed the expert group of JINR.
The cooperation of scientific groups from Dubna, Milan and Bologna was effective in experiments with magnetic spark chamber spectrometer JINR (MSCC). As a result, scientists studied excitation level spectrum of composite meson structure according to both the orbital and radial quantum number. As a fundamental result, two new resonance state of Pi-meson were discovered during collaborative researches. Subsequently, scientists worked collaboratively at a modernised facility (spectrometer MSCC-2) for the research of boson resonances under meson dissociation on nuclei. Professors D.-P. Bellini, G. Vengi (MSCC), F. Palombo and P. Frabetti (MSCC-2) headed working groups of Italian partners.
In the 80s-90s, scientists did researches, which were a collective contribution to a more wide cooperation – to the projects of European organization of nuclear researches (CERN). Consequently, bilateral treaties were made in relation to experiments at CERN PS-179 and PS-201 (antiproton interaction study with nuclei under low and middle energies at an accelerative electron storage ring (LEAR, CERN).
Due to the opening prospect of supercollider creation in the USA 2 protocols for collaborative development, creation and testing of detectors and calorimeters of a new generation for operation at Tev-colliders were concluded with Italian physicist group under the direction of professor D. Belletini. Unfortunately, this project (building of a supercollider) was stopped for an indefinite period in the USA. JINR and Italian physicists continue to work on this theme in a collaborative experiment at FNAL accelerator in the USA (CDF project).
At present, the cooperation is maintained in all scientific JINR activity, but condensed matter physics and radiobiological researches. Theoreticians from Dubna an Italy have strong and wide cooperation between each other. The International Centre of theoretical physics is located in the territory of Italy in Trieste. It was founded in 1964 to develop fundamental researches in developing countries by organising lectures and seminars given by famous physicists from different countries. JINR employees also came on a business trips to this Centre. Physicists from Dubna together with physicists from Torino do researches of DUBTO under the supervision of G. Pontecorvo, they receive and handle data of proton and photon ejection and of fragments in inelastic reactions of pions with the lightest nuclei.
Today OPERA and BOREXINO among others join scientists from Dubna and Italy, This projects are to search neutrino oscillations (B. Pontecorvo already suggested the idea itself in Dubna) and its parameter study, and measure of solar neutrino flux done at the Gran Sasso underground laboratory. It is one of four laboratories of the Italy National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN). Scientists from Dubna know the National Laboratory in Catania and Frascati National Laboratory well. At present, experts from Catania together with colleagues from JINR take part in CERN projects – CMS and ALICE, do collaborative works with LNR employees in synthesis of new nuclei, do researches of nuclei properties and reaction mechanisms under heavy ions, they participate in development of LNR cyclotrons, in works of physics and engineering of particle accelerator. The Frascati National Laboratory within an agreement with INFN maintain the cooperation with Dubna in modern mathematic physics on theme: “International Theoretical Physics School of Dubna”; scientists do collaborative researches for nuclei and particle interaction under intermediate energy within the cooperation protocol. Scientists also do collaborative works on a check of low-energy QCD predictions, in project COMPASS of CERN, in HERMES (DESY), collaborative researches at accelerative complex GSI (Darmstadt). Apart from 4 laboratories, 19 details basing on university physics departments are a part of INFN: in Bari, Bologna, Genoa, Cagliari etc. All of them cooperate with JINR actively. Let us take Bari, for example, its employees take part in theoretical works on fields and particles, modern mathematic physics, on modern study of neutrino oscillations and defining of neutrino oscillation parameters, and in collaborative works on CERN project of CMS and ALICE.
Recently, CERN directory awarded INFN for its contribution to development of grid technologies (computational “cells”) at the national and European levels (the award was handed out to INFN president Roberto Petronzio). This project was started in 1999 and was one of the first examples of grid-infrastructure creation. INFN was a mover of another project – EGEE (Enabling Grids for E-sciencE), it was started in 2004. CERN experience (INFN experience too) is used by JINR in creation of its grid-segment and in including it in the European and world grid-infrastructure.
Italian National Agency of New Technologies, Energetics and Protection of Environment is another organisation that cooperates with JINR in neutron nuclear physics: works on fundamental and applied researches within bilateral treaty, and collaborative works on creation of neutron resonance source (IREN project of JINR). Employees of the Centre of the Newest Researches of this Agency keep in touch with their colleagues from Dubna in nucleus theory.
Italian embassy in Russia greatly helps to maintain the cooperation. Well-known physicists professor G. Perugino and professor P. Spillantini (replaced Perugino) were counsellors of embassy of science in the recent past.
At present, professor Pietro Fré is a counsellor of embassy of science. He actively takes part in cooperation development with JINR, and together with the Institute directory organises Intarnational conferences in Dubna, where physics from many scientific centres of Italy attend. Annually, 30 Italian scientists come to JINR on short-term business trips to do collaborative works and to attend in meetings, and approximately 150 scientists from Dubna come to Italy.
Alexander S. Sorin
Executive of the JINR contacts with Italy, Deputy Director of the Bogoliubov Laboratory of Theoretical Physics
+7 (49621) 6-21-09
+7 (49621) 6-23-90
The scientists of Italy take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
Cooperation on 5 themes
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
Cooperation on 11 themes
- Nuclear physics
Cooperation on 4 themes
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
Cooperation on 3 themes
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
Cooperation on 1 theme
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), branches in Bari cities
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics, branch in Bologna
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics, branch in Genoa
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics, branch in Cagliari
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Milan
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Naples
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in в Pavia
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Padua
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Pisa
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Rome
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Trieste
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Turin
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Ferrara
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Florence
- National Institute of Nuclear Physics in, Frascati National laboratory
- Italian National Agency of New Technologies, Energetics and Protection of Environment in Bologna and Rome (ENEA)
- International School of Cutting-Edge Research in Trieste (SISSA/ISAS)
Professor P. Spillantini was a member of the JINR Scientific Council during many years
At present, members of the JINR Scientific Council are:
- Luisa Cifarelli, Vice President, European Physical Society; President, Museo Storico della Fisica e Centro Studi e Ricerche “Enrico Fermi” (Rome, Italy)
- Pietro Fré, Professor, University of Turin (Italy); Scientific Counsellor, Embassy of the Italian Republic in the Russian Federation (Moscow, Russia)
- Angelo Maggiora, Staff Member, Section of Turin, Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare – INFN (Turin, Italy)
- New Year (Il Capodanno) – 1 January;
- Epiphany (l’Epifania) or Befana (La Befana), The Manifestation of God, Theophany – 6 January;
- International Women’s Day (La Festa della Donna) – 8 March;
- Day of Foundation of Rome (Natale di Roma) – 21 April;
- Day Liberation from Fascism and German Military Occupation (La Liberazione) – 25 April;
- Labour Day (La Festa del Lavoro) – 1 May;
- Italian National Day and Republic Day (La Festa della Repubblica) – 2 June;
- Ferragosto (Il Ferragosto) Assumption Day or Ascension Day (L’Assunzione) – 15 August;
- All Saint’s Day, Remembrance Day (Il giorno della Commemorazione dei Defunti) – 2 November;
- Day of Armed Forces of Italy (La Festa delle Forze Armate) – 4 November;
- Christmas (Il Natale) – 25 December;
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of Italy in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in Italy: