General information on collaboration
The Socialist Republic of Vietnam has been a JINR member state since 1956. The joining of Vietnam to JINR has always been the most important aspect for science development in the SRV.
Many Vietnamese physicists studied in Dubna school over the years of JINR. Nguyễn Đình from Hanoi was among first experts of international centre. Nguyễn Dinh Thi defended his desertation with success in Dubna and come back to the motherland as high-skilled expert that helped him to head the Laboratory of experimental physics of Hanoi University. Later he became a Minister of Higher Education of the SRV (he visited Dubna being in that position in 1976) and a Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission of the SRV. Academician Nguyễn Văn Hiệu, one of academician N.N. Bogolubov stedents, is a symbol of JINR-SRV collaboration. Nguyễn Văn Hiệu is a President of the National Centre of Science and Technology of the SRV. Many years he is a Plenipotentiary representative of the SRV in JINR and a member of the JINR Scientific Council from the SRV. He was the first Vietnamese physicist-theoretician in JINR in the 50s – early 60s.
Vietnamese scientists, JINR students, are now playing the biggest role in national research institutes of Hanoi and other Vietnam cities. For this reason, the collaboration with JINR has always been a key position of foreign policy of the Academy of Sciences and Technology of Vietnam. Both the fundamental researches and the applied developments are important for science advancement and Vietnamese economy. But the top-priority goal is to train young specialists in both the nuclear physics research area and the protection of environment and the radiochemistry and the information technologies.
Over the last years, the collaboration of JINR with scientific institutions of Vietnam became remarkably active, especially with Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies (VAST). A JINR delegation headed by vise-director and professor M.G. Itkis came to Vietnam on invitation of the VAST president and professor Chao Văn Minh. Both sides stressed the point of importance to widen the cooperation with JINR on the official meeting with the president of the academy of Sciences and Technologies. A question of expedience to build a cooperative JINR VAST International centre of prospect researches with priority nanotechnology area in Nha Trang.
The next step of these negotiations found itself in signing on 8 September 2008 “Letter of intent to build the International Centre of Prospect Researches” in Nha Trang with priority area in nanotechnologies and informational technologies.
Vietnamese experts take part in JINR works on themes dealt with computing, condensed matter physics, synthesis and study of nucleus properties on the borders of stability, and education programme. Vietnamese physicists headed by Nguyễn Văn Hiệu continue to be in touch with Dubna. JINR scientists come to the SRV to attend in conferences held by Vietnamese colleagues. Professor N.A. Rusakovich, JINR chief scientific secretary, attended in the International business conference for material engineering and nanotechnologies of scientists and experts of Asian region. The conference took place in Nha Trang (Vietnam) on 15-20 September 2008. N.A. Rusakovich gave an invited report on “JINR – a centre of international cooperation”.
In September 2010 the Delegation of JINR Directory headed by the JINR vice-director R. Lednitski and the Chief JINR scientific secretary N.A. Rusakivich visited Vietnam. As a result of this meeting, “Memorandum of Understanding between Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies (VAST) and Joint Institute of Nuclear Researches (JINR)” and the agreement with SRV Atomic Energy Commission were singed.
Due to the new economic conditions, the work of Vietnamese experts in JINR laboratories is extremely limited. Nguyễn Manh Shath has been the one and only employee who worked as a Plenipotentiary representative of the SRV Government. He has done a lot in cooperation maintenance between JINR and Vietnam. At present, 15 Vietnamese experts work at JINR laboratories.
Profesor Nikolai Artemievich Rusakovich
Manager of the JINR contacts with The Socialist Republic of Vietnam, chief JINR scientific secretary
+7 (49621) 6-59-40
+7 (49621) 6-22-21
The scientists of The Socialist Republic of Vietnam take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of fundamental ineractions”. Leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov (LTP), from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu + 2 persons (IP VAST);
“Theory of condensed matters”, leaders: V.A. Osipov, A.M. Povolotski (LTP), from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu + 5 persons (IMS VAST); “Dubna International school of modern theoretical physics (DIAS-TH)’, leaders: S.A. Sorin, V.V. Voronov (LTP), from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu + 5 persons (IP VAST);
- Nuclear physics
Researches in neutron nuclear physics field”, leader: V.N. Shvetsov, from the part of Vietnam: Pham Dinh Khang + 5 persons (VNU), Le Hong Khiem + 2 persons (IOP VAST);
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Research of condensed substance state with use of modern neutron diffraction techniques”, leaders; D.P. Koslenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov, from the part of Vietnam:L.H. Khiem (IOP VAST), H.T. Dhang (DTU);
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”. Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov (LIT), from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu + 2 persons (VNU);
- Educational Programme
“Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme”, leader: V.A. Matveev, S.Z. Pakuliak, from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu (VNU)
At present JINR collaborates actively with the following scientific organizations of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam:
- Institute of Material Engineering of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Institute of Physics of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- National Centre of Natural and Technical Sciences of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Vietnamese National University
Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in JINR from 2013 to the present day is Le Hong Khiem.
Nguyễn Văn Hiệu is a Member of the JINR Scientific Council over the many years.
Nguyễn Văn Hiệu and Nguyễn Manh Shat have been members of the Scientific Council since 2000.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other. Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Many employees, when they come from member states, do not know the Russian Language, and for such employees JINR creates courses of the Russian language. Heads of national groups help them in it.
Doctor of Physics and Mathematics Nguyễn Manh Shat
The Head of the national group of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, PhD in Technical Sciences, leading employee in Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems.
+7 (49621) 6-25-66
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. At present 3 Vietnamese experts work in the Institute.
The main national holiday in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is:
Day of Independence – 2 September (2 September 1945).
- New Year – 1 January;
- Day of the Liberation of South Vietnam – 30 April;
- Tết (Lunar New Year) – in end of January beginning of February.
- On 4 September 2017, in honor of the Independence Day of Vietnam, the traditional festive meeting of the JINR Directorate with Vietnamese staff members of JINR was held
- On 20 March 2017, a delegation of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technology headed by VAST Vice-President Nguyen Dinh Cong visited JINR
- A delegation from the Vietnam Academy of Sciences and Technology headed by Vice-President of the Academy Professor Duong Ngoc Hai visited JINR on 9-10 October 2014
- A representative delegation of Vietnamese scientists and science organizers headed by President of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technology (VAST) Professor Chau Van Minh visited the The Joint Institute for Nuclear Research on 26-28 July 2012.
- A delegation of the Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the Russian Federation headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Pham Suan Shon participated in ceremonial events dedicated to the JINR Foundation Day on 26 March 2012
- On 1 September 2011, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Pham Suan Shaun organized a reception in Moscow on the occasion of the 66th anniversary of independence of Vietnam
- On 11 August 2011, a delegation of the Vietnamese Atomic Energy Commission headed by VINATOM President Prof. Vuong Huu Tan visited JINR
- On 25 June 2010, a delegation from the Institute of Physics, Hanoi (Vietnam) came to JINR to become acquainted and develop opportunities of scientific cooperation
- A Vietnamese delegation headed by Vice-President of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) Professor Nguyen Dinh Cong visited JINR on 22-27 February 2010
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam: