General information on collaboration
The Socialist Republic of Vietnam has been a JINR member state since 1956. Vietnam’s participation in JINR projects has played a key role in the development of science in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
Many Vietnamese physicists studied in Dubna school over the years. NguyễnĐình from Hanoi was among the first experts of the international centre. NguyễnDinh has successfully defended his dissertation in Dubna, and returned to Vietnam as a highly skilled expert, which led him to head the Laboratory of Experimental Physics of Hanoi University. He later became Minister of Higher Education of the Socialist Republic of Vientma (he visited Dubna in that capacity in 1976) and Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission of the SRV. Academician NguyễnVănHiệu, one of academician N.Bogolubov students, is a symbol of JINR-SRV collaboration. NguyễnVănHiệu is the President of the National Centre of Science and Technology of the SRV. For many years he has been a Plenipotentiary representative of the SRV at JINR, and a member of the JINR Scientific Council. He was the first Vietnamese physicist-theoretician in JINR in the 50s – early 60s.
Vietnamese scientists, JINR students, are now playing a pivotal role in national research institutes in Hanoi and in other cities in Vietnam. For this reason, collaboration with JINR has always been a key position of foreign policy of the Academy of Sciences and Technology of Vietnam. Both fundamental research and applied developments are important for advancement of science of Vietnamese economy. But a top-priority goal is to train young specialists both in nuclear physics research area and in the protection of environment and radiochemistry, as well as in information technology.
Over the past few years, collaboration of JINR with scientific institutions of Vietnam became remarkably active, especially with Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies (VAST). A JINR delegation headed by vice-director, professor M.Itkisvisited Vietnam on an invitation of VAST president, professor Chao Văn Minh. Both sides stressed the importance of widening cooperation with JINR at the official meeting with president of the Academy of Science and Technology. Building a joint JINR VAST International centre for prospect research, with a focus on nanotechnology, in NhaTrang, is being expedited as a high priority project.
Next step of the negotiations was the signing on September 8th, 2008 of the “Letter of intent to build the International Centre of Prospect Research” in NhaTrang with area focus on nanotechnology and informational technology.
Vietnamese experts take part in JINR projects on topics related to computing, condensed matter physics, synthesis, and study of nucleus properties on the borders of stability, ase well as related education programmes. Vietnamese physicists, lead by NguyễnVănHiệu, continue to be in touch with researchers inDubna. JINR scientists visit SRV to attend conferences organized by Vietnamese colleagues. Professor N.Rusakovich, JINR chief scientific secretary, attended International Business Conference for Material Engineering and Nanotechnologies of Scientists and Experts of the Asian Region. The conference took place in NhaTrang (Vietnam) on September 15-20th, 2008. N.Rusakovichpresented aspecial report on “JINR – a centre of international cooperation”.
In September 2010,delegation of JINR directorate, lead by JINR deputy director R. Lednitski and by Chief JINR Scientific Secretary N.Rusakivich, visited Vietnam. As a result of this meeting, a “Memorandum of Understanding between Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies (VAST) and Joint Institute of Nuclear Researches (JINR)” and an agreement with SRV Atomic Energy Commission were signed.
In recent years, due to the economic situation, number of Vietnamese experts at JINR laboratories has been extremely limited. NguyễnManhShath is the only employee who has been working as a Plenipotentiary representative of the SRV Government. He has contributed greatly to maintain cooperation projects between JINR and Vietnam. Currently 15 Vietnamese experts work at JINR laboratories.
Profesor Nikolai Artemievich Rusakovich
Manager, JINR contacts with the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Chief JINR Scientific Secretary
+7 (49621) 6-59-40
+7 (49621) 6-22-21
The scientists of The Socialist Republic of Vietnam take part in the research work on the following themes of the Topical plan for JINR research and international cooperation for the year 2018:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of fundamental ineractions”
Leaders: D.I. Kazakov, O.V. Teriaev, A.B. Arbuzov (LTP),
from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu(IP VAST);
“Theory of condensed matters”
leaders: V.A. Osipov, A.M. Povolotski (LTP),
from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu (IMS VAST);
“Dubna International school of modern theoretical physics (DIAS-TH)’,
leaders: S.A. Sorin, V.V. Voronov (LTP),
from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu (IP VAST);
- Nuclear physics
“Synthesis and Properties of Superheavy Elements, Structure of Nuclei at the Limits of Nucleon Stability”
leader: M.G. Itkis
from the part of Vietnam: Le Hong Khiem (IOP VAST);
“Researches in neutron nuclear physics field”
leader: V.N. Shvetsov,
from the part of Vietnam: Pham Dinh Khang (VNU), Le Hong Khiem (IOP VAST).
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Investigations of Condensed Matter by Modern Neutron Scattering Methods”,
leaders; D.P. Koslenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov,
from the part of Vietnam:L.H. Khiem (IOP VAST), H.T. Dhang (DTU);
“Radiation Physics, Radiochemistry, and Nanotechnology Investigations Using Beams of Accelerated Heavy Ions”,
leaders; S.N. Dmitriev, P.Yu. Apel
from the part of Vietnam: T.Tranduk (IOP VAST).
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Methods, algorithms and software for physical system modelling, mathematical processing and analysis of experimental data”
Leaders: G. Adam, P.V. Zrelov (LIT),
from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu (VNU).
- Educational Programme
“Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme”,
leader: V.A. Matveev, S.Z. Pakuliak,
from the part of Vietnam: Nguyễn Văn Hiệu (VNU)
At present JINR collaborates actively with the following scientific organizations of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam:
- Institute of Material Engineering of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Institute of Physics of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- National Centre of Natural and Technical Sciences of Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies
- Vietnamese National University
Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in JINR from 2013 to the present day is Nguyen Van Hieu.Nguyen Van Hieu was born on 21 July 1938, graduated from the Hanoi Pedagogic Univeristy, defended the Doctoral thesis in 1964 in the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research. He started his scientific activities in 1960 in the JINR Laboratory of Theoretical Physics. From 1966 to 1969, he was a group leader and became the head of the sector in 1982. Since 1983, he was the President of the Vietnamese National Centre for Scientific Research. Le Hong Khiem is Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, a Foreign Member of RAS, the Plenipotentiary representative of the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and a Member of the JINR Scientific Council.
Participants on behalf of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam at Sessions of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States were:
- Nguyen Thanh Nghi, Assistant to President of the Vietnamese National Centre for Science and Technologies;
- Tran Duc Thiep, professor, Director of the Centre of Nuclear Physics of the Vietnamese National Centre for Science and Technologies;
- Nguyen Khoa Sean, professor, Vice President of the Academy of Sciences and Technologies of Vietnam;
- Nguyen Manh Shat, a Leading Researcher of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems of JINR;
- Pham Trung Phuoc, First Secretary, Attache on science and technologies of the Vietnamese Ambassy in the RF;
- Nguyen Manh Shat, a Leading Researcher of the Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems of JINR and Nguyen Hong Quang, Vice Director of the Institute of Physics of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies;
- Nguyen Van Hieu, Chief Researcher of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technologies.
2001 – 2002
2003 – 2004
2007 – 2008
2010 – present day
Tran Duc Thiep, Chief Researcher, Institute of Physics of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, is now a Member of the JINR Scientific Council from Vietnam.
Nguyễn Văn Hiệu and have been members of the Scientific Council since 2000.
The languages of international communication at JINR are Russian and English. However, one can hear the speech in many languages in Dubna, including the languages of JINR member-states when the countrymen, the representatives of the same expatriates’ community (the national groups of JINR), meet each other. Over the years of existence of JINR the national groups have developed their traditions, forms of cooperation and collaboration with other national groups. Their leaders, appointed by the plenipotentiaries of the JINR member-states play an organizing role in the life of national groups.
Many employees, when they come from member states, do not know the Russian Language, and for such employees JINR creates courses of the Russian language. Heads of national groups help them in it.
Doctor of Physics and Mathematics
The Head of the national group of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, PhD in Technical Sciences, leading employee in Dzhelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems.
Being in constant contact with plenipotentiaries, embassies of member-states, JINR’s directorate and management services, they take part in the solution of the problems connected with the stay of their colleagues-countrymen and their families in Russia, with the organization of their life and leisure. At present 3 Vietnamese experts work in the Institute.
The main national holiday in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is:
Day of Independence – 2 September (2 September 1945).
- New Year – 1 January;
- Day of the Liberation of South Vietnam – 30 April;
- Tết (Lunar New Year) – in end of January beginning of February.
- On 7 December 2017, an interdepartmental delegation from Vietnam visited JINR to discuss prospects of international cooperation in the field of science and education
- On 4 September 2017, in honor of the Independence Day of Vietnam, the traditional festive meeting of the JINR Directorate with Vietnamese staff members of JINR was held
- On 20 March 2017, a delegation of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technology headed by VAST Vice-President Nguyen Dinh Cong visited JINR
- A delegation from the Vietnam Academy of Sciences and Technology headed by Vice-President of the Academy Professor Duong Ngoc Hai visited JINR on 9-10 October 2014
- A representative delegation of Vietnamese scientists and science organizers headed by President of the Vietnamese Academy of Sciences and Technology (VAST) Professor Chau Van Minh visited the The Joint Institute for Nuclear Research on 26-28 July 2012.
- A delegation of the Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the Russian Federation headed by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Pham Suan Shon participated in ceremonial events dedicated to the JINR Foundation Day on 26 March 2012
- On 1 September 2011, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Pham Suan Shaun organized a reception in Moscow on the occasion of the 66th anniversary of independence of Vietnam
- On 11 August 2011, a delegation of the Vietnamese Atomic Energy Commission headed by VINATOM President Prof. Vuong Huu Tan visited JINR
- On 25 June 2010, a delegation from the Institute of Physics, Hanoi (Vietnam) came to JINR to become acquainted and develop opportunities of scientific cooperation
- A Vietnamese delegation headed by Vice-President of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) Professor Nguyen Dinh Cong visited JINR on 22-27 February 2010
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the Russian Federation:
Russian Embassy in the Socialist Republic of Vietnam: