General information on collaboration between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia (JINR)
The collaboration between the Republic of South Africa and JINR has been developing since 1993 when Professor Heiss Walter Dieter and Professor David McLachlan of the University of Johannesburg visited Dubna for the first time. The architects of collaboration were the director of JINR Professor Vladimir Georgievich Kadyshevsky and a well-known specialist in the sphere of nuclear technology Professor Robert Martin Adam – the head of the Department of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa.
The treaty of cooperation, which created favorable conditions for the further development of collaboration in the sphere of nuclear physics between two countries, was signed in 1994. Professor Vladimir Borisovich Belyaev from JINR and Professor Harry Fiedeldy from the University of South Africa (Pretoria) participated actively in its preparation. As a part of the agreement, the cooperation and the exchange of visits was implemented at the beginning of the 2000s in four directions: “Nuclear theory”; “ALICE: Large Collider Experiment on the LHC Heavy Ion Beams”; “Nuclear Physics with Neutrons –– Fundamental and Applied Investigations”; “Computer Physics for Theoretical and Experimental Research”. The organizations cooperating with JINR in these fields were the Universities of Pretoria and Cape Town.
A new period of the partnership started in 2004 when Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation, Mochubella Jacob Secku and Director General of the International Resource of the Department of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa (DST), Dr. Neville Arendse visited JINR. The communication provided a stimulus for the further development of scientific cooperation and on 5 October 2005, in Moscow, the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was signed. The aim of this Memorandum was the development of mutual collaboration between the DST and JINR in the sphere of scientific and technological researches.
On 14 February 2006 the meeting of the Joint Coordination Committee of the DST and JINR took place. According to the decision of the first session, the total contribution of the RSA to JINR in 2006 was 1250000 USD. The part of this sum (20%) had to be spent for the development of the infrastructure of JINR. The contribution was distributed proportionally among the five priority fields of research: grid-technologies and theory, investigations on neutron beams, heavy ion physics, hadronic therapy, and also the work connected with the spherical fuel element reactor with the helium carrier. For the optimal distribution of financing within the framework of priority directions both sides appointed the coordinators of work and the persons responsible for the general coordination of collaboration. It was decided that the young scientists, postgraduate students, and students from RSA should take part in all the scientific programmes.
In February 2007 the first joint symposium of UNISA (the University of South Africa) and JINR “Models and Methods for research of few-particle and multi-particle bodies” took place in Pretoria. It was mainly devoted to the problems of nuclear physics, researched within the collaboration between JINR and the DST of SA, but it also touched the questions of particle physics, atomic, molecular physics, computing and mathematical physics. The second symposium “Models and Methods for research of few-particle and multi-particle bodies” (September 2010) gathered the specialists of several universities of RSA – UNISA, University of Stellenbosch, University of Pretoria and some others, as well as the scientists of the Bogoliubov and Flerov laboratories of JINR. The subject of the symposium was devoted to the new tendencies in the development of theoretical and experimental nuclear physics.
Since 2007 the practical training for students and postgraduate students of the Republic of South Africa has been held in Dubna. About 30 students accompanied by their professors come every year to Dubna. The lectures on scientific studies held in JINR are read by the leading scientists of JINR. For example, in 2009 the lectures were held by A.V. Belushkin, E.A. Krasavin, V.N. Shvetsov, A.G. Popeko, G.V. Mitsin, etc.
Executive of the contacts with the Republic of South Africa, Deputy Chief Scientific Secretary
+7 (49621) 6-58-39
+7 (49621) 6-34-16
Scientists from the RSA participate in the following themes of the Topical Plan for JINR Research and International Cooperation in 2017:
- Theoretical Physics
“Theory of Nuclear Structure and Nuclear Reactions” Leaders: V.V. Voronov, A.I. Vdovin, N.V. Antonenko;
“Dubna International Advanced School of Theoretical Physics (DIAS-TH)” Leaders: A.S. Sorin, V.V. Voronov, A.T. Filippov.
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics
“Development of the JINR Basic Facility for Generation of Intense Heavy Ion and Polarized Nuclear Beams Aimed at Searching for the Mixed Phase of Nuclear Matter and Investigation of Polarization Phenomena at the Collision Energies up to vsNN = 11 GeV/n” Leaders: A.S. Sorin, V.D. Kekelidze;
“Advanced Studies on Systems of New Generation Accelerators and Colliders for Fundamental and Applied Research” Leader: G.D. Shirkov;
“ALICE: Study of Interactions of Heavy Ion and Proton Beams at the LHC” Leader: A.S. Vodopyanov.
- Nuclear Physics
“Synthesis and Properties of Nuclei at the Stability Limits” Leader: M.G. Itkis, Scientific leader: Yu.Ts. Oganessian;
“Accelerator Complex of Ion Beams of Stable and Radioactive Nuclides (DRIBs-III)” Leaders: G.G. Gulbekyan, S.N. Dmitriev, M.G. Itkis, Scientific leader: Yu.Ts. Oganessian;
“Investigations in the Field of Nuclear Physics with Neutrons” Leader: V.N. Shvetsov.
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research
“Investigations of Condensed Matter by Modern Neutron Scattering Methods” Leaders: V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov, D.P. Kozlenko;
“Radiation Effects and Physical Basis of Nanotechnology, Radioanalytical and Radioisotope Investigations at the FLNR Accelerators” Leaders: S.N. Dmitriev, P.Yu. Apel.
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics
“Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR” Leader: V.V. Korenkov;
“Methods, Algorithms and Software for Modeling Physical Systems, Mathematical Processing and Analysis of Experimental Data” Leaders: Gh. Adam, P.V. Zrelov.
- Educational Programme
“Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme” Leaders: V.A. Matveev, S.Z. Pakuliak.
At present, JINR actively cooperates with eight scientific centers and universities of the Republic of South Africa on ten scientific themes in all the spheres of scientific research of JINR:
- University of Cape Town
- iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator-Based Sciences
- University of the Western Cape
- The South African Nuclear Energy Corporation (NECSA)
- University of South Africa (UNISA)
- University of Pretoria
The representative of the government of the RSA to the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR is Doctor Thomas Auf der Heyde, Deputy Director-General of the Programme Human Capital and Knowledge Systems of the Department of Science and Technology.
The Representatives of the government of the RSA to the JINR Committee of Plenipotentiaries since 2006 – 2013 Dr. Neville Arendse, Science and Technology Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation
Dr Robert Martin Adam has been the chief-executive officer of the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation (NECSA) since 2006. He was the Director General of the South African Department of Science and Technology from 1999 to 2006. He worked as a consultant to the governments of Namibia and Chile, and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of South Africa.
- New Year’s Day – 1 January
- Human Rights Day – 21 March
- Good Friday – 13 April (Friday before Easter Sunday)
- Family Day – 16 April (Monday after Easter Sunday)
- Freedom Day – 27 April
- Workers Day – 1 May
- Youth Day – 16 June
- National Women`s Day – 9 August
- Heritage Day – 24 September
- Day of Reconciliation – 16 December
- Christmas Day – 25 December
- Day of Goodwill – 26 December
- The joint workshop of iThemba LABS and JINR was held on 2 December 2016 in the iThemba LABS co-chaired by its Director Faical Azaiez and JINR Vice-Director Grigory Trubnikov.
- On 1 December 2016, at the CSIR International Convention Centre the 16th session of the Joint Coordination on RSA-JINR cooperation was held in the frames of the Forum “RSA-JINR: 10 Years Together”.
- On 30 November 2016, the JINR delegation headed by JINR Director, RAS Academician Victor Matveev paid a visit to Chief Executive Officer of the leading SA Nuclear Energy Corporation NECSA Mr. Phumzile Tshelane.
- Today, on 28 November 2016, at the CSIR International Convention Centre in Pretoria RSA-JINR 10th Collaboration Celebration & Ten-year Review Forum, dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR and the 10th anniversary of cooperation between JINR and the Republic of South Africa, started, where the JINR delegation arrived headed by JINR Director, RAS Academician V. Matveev in order to discuss the results of cooperation, optimisation ideas and plans for the future.
- From 28 November to 1 December 2016 at the CSIR International Convention Centre in Pretoria RSA-JINR 10th Collaboration Celebration & Ten-year Review Forum will be held.
- A workshop on expansion of contacts with JINR, organized by Director of the Center of High Resolution, Professor Jan Neethling was held on 4 March 2016 in the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth, in the Centre for High Resolution Transmission Electron (CHRTEM).
- The South Africa-JINR Education and Research Collaboration Workshop was held in the University of the Western Cape (UWC) on 29 February – 1 March 2016
- The Science Forum: South Africa – 2015 was held on 8-9 December 2015 in Pretoria, South Africa; The Forum brought together more than 1000 representatives of scientific research and educational organizations in the International Convention Center.
- On 28 October 2015, a delegation from the Free State Province of the Republic of South Africa headed by the Premier Minister Mr. ES Magashule visited JINR.
- On 28 October 2015, the press tour for journalists from England, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Germany, India, China, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey, France and the Republic of South Africa was held in JINR
- On Friday, 25 September 2015, in Dubna the Week of the Republic of South Africa in JINR dedicated to the 10th Anniversary of signing of the Cooperation Memorandum between the government of the Republic of South Africa and JINR was finished.
- The 15th Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 23 September 2015 in the JINR Club of scientists in Dubna
- A Joint JINR Seminar will be held on 21 September 2015 in the International Conference Hall. The programme of the Seminar includes a report of Rob Adam (Square Kilometre Array, South African Republic) “Doing transformational science with the Square Kilometre Array (SKA)”
- 4th RSA-JINR Symposium «Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications» dedicated to the 60th Anniversary of the Institute started today, on 21 September 2015 in Dubna, in the International Conference Hall
- A regular session of the Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 13-14 November 2014 in Cape Town (RSA) in the National cyclotron laboratory iThemba
- The third stage of the international student practice that ended in the JINR University Centre on 24 September 2014 gathered in Dubna students from Belarus, Serbia and the Republic of South Africa
- The Strategic workshop on development of the RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 27 March 2014 on the sidelines of a session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States
- A working meeting with representatives of a number of the RSA organizations which cooperate with JINR was held on 21 March 2014 in Stellenbosch.
- The 1st International African Symposium on Exotic Nuclei (IASEN-2013) is being held on 2-6 December 2013 in Cape Town (RSA). The Symposium was jointly organized by the National Research Fund (NRF), the National cyclotron laboratory iThemba LABS and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research.
- A four-day visit to JINR of a group of professors of RSA universities was finished on 11 October 2013
- The third stage of the International student practice was started on Monday, 9 September 2013 in the JINR University Centre
- The 12th Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held along with the 3rd South Africa–JINR Symposium „Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications“ at the Stellenbosch University (RSA) on 27-28 November 2012
- On Tuesday, 27 November 2012, the 3rd South Africa–JINR Symposium „Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications“ was opened at Stellenbosch, South Africa
- The third stage of the International student practice for students from the Republic of South Africa will be held on 24 September – 14 October 2012 at the JINR University Centre
- The 11th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 26-27 June 2012
- The 10th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 21-22 November 2011 at the RSA cyclotron laboratory iThemba LABS
- On 9-11 November 2011 a JINR delegation participated in a workshop on nanotechnologies and materials organized by the International Centre for Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI) and the Department of science and technology of the RSA Government in Pretoria
- A delegation of leading scientists of the Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics headed by VBLHEP Deputy Director Professor A.S.Vodopianov stayed in Pretoria and Cape Town from 18 to 27 October 2011 on an official visit
- On 12 August 2011 the representatives of NPT/NECSA (the RSA) – NTP Managing Director Paul van der Walt and DIPR Engineering Manager Corrie Ungerer visited JINR
- The 9th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 1 June 2011
- The three-day forum “RSA-JINR: 5 years together” which was held at Pretoria, the RSA, was finished on 10 February 2011
JINR newspapper “Dubna” #6 (18 February 2011) about the event
- The forum “RSA-JINR: 5 years together” started on 8 February 2011. A delegation of 14 leading scientists and JINR directors headed by JINR Acting Director M.Itkis flew to Pretoria to participate in the forum
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation Mr. Mandisi B.M. Mpahlwa, accompanied by Science and Technology Attaché Doctor Neville Arendse, visited JINR on 14 December 2010
JINR newspapper “Dubna” #49-50 (28 December 2010) about the event
- 14 leading specialists of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research made the reports on the major directions of JINR activities at the 55th Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Physics (SAIP), which took place from 27 September till 1 October 2010 in Pretoria. They also read lectures for the South Africa students at the Spring Practice that was held within the frames of the conference
- 7 September 2010. The Second Symposium “Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications” was held in the BLTP JINR
- The International Student Practice at JINR for 29 students from The Republic of South Africa is started on 7 September 2010
- On 20 January 2009, Minister-Counsellor of the Science & Technology Department of the South African Republic (SAR) Embassy in Moscow Dr. Neville Arendse and Technology Research Programme Manager Mr. Johan Eksteen visited JINR.
- RSA-JINR: new phase of negotiation. 15 April 2009 7th meeting of the RSA-JINR Joint Coordination Committee was held in Cape Town
Contact Information on the Embassies
Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation:
Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of South Africa :