General information on collaboration between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
The collaboration between the Republic of South Africa and JINR has been developing since 1993 when Professor Heiss Walter Dieter and Professor David McLachlan from the University of Johannesburg visited Dubna for the first time. The initiator of collaboration from the JINR party was JINR Director Professor Vladimir Georgievich Kadyshevsky, who payed a return visit to Johannesburg in September 1993, and a well-known specialist in the fields of nuclear technology Professor Robert Martin Adam, Head of the Department of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa, was the initiator of this cooperation from the RSA party.
The Agreement of cooperation, which provided favorable conditions for further development of collaboration in the fields of nuclear physics between JINR and the RSA, was signed in 1994. Professor Vladimir Borisovich Belyaev from JINR and Professor Harry Fiedeldy from the University of South Africa (Pretoria) actively participated in its preparation. As a part of the agreement, cooperation and exchange of visits was implemented at the beginning of the 2000s in four directions: “Nuclear theory”, “ALICE: Large Collider Experiment on the LHC Heavy Ion Beams”, “Nuclear Physics with Neutrons – Fundamental and Applied Investigations”, “Computer Physics for Theoretical and Experimental Research”. The organizations cooperating with JINR in these fields were the Universities of Pretoria and Cape Town.
A new period of partnership started in 2004 when Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation Mochubella Jacob Secku and Director General of the International Resources of the Department of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa (DST) Dr. Neville Arendse visited JINR. The stimulated further development of scientific cooperation, and on 5 October 2005, in Moscow, the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was signed. The aim of this Memorandum was the development of mutual collaboration between the DST and JINR in the sphere of scientific and technological research.
On 14 February 2006, the meeting of the Joint Coordination Committee of the DST and JINR took place. According to the decision of the first session, the total contribution of the RSA to JINR in 2006 would be 1250000 USD. The part of this sum (20%) had to be spent for the development of the infrastructure of JINR. The contribution was distributed proportionally among the five priority fields of research: grid-technologies and theory, investigations on neutron beams, heavy ion physics, hadronic therapy, and also the work connected with the spherical fuel element reactor with the helium carrier. For the optimal distribution of financing among priority research fields, both sides appointed the coordinators of work and persons responsible for the general coordination of collaboration. It was decided that young scientists, postgraduate students, and students from RSA should take part in all scientific programmes.
In February 2007, the first joint symposium of UNISA (the University of South Africa) and JINR “Models and Methods for research of few-particle and multi-particle bodies” took place in Pretoria. It was mainly devoted to the problems of nuclear physics studied within the framework of collaboration between JINR and the DST of SA, but it also touched the issues of particle physics, atomic, molecular physics, computing and mathematical physics. The second symposium “Models and Methods for research of few-particle and multi-particle bodies” (September 2010) gathered specialists of several universities of RSA, namely UNISA, University of Stellenbosch, University of Pretoria and some others, as well as scientists of the Bogoliubov and Flerov laboratories of JINR. The subject of the symposium was devoted to the new tendencies in the development of theoretical and experimental nuclear physics.
Since 2007, practical training for students and postgraduate students of the Republic of South Africa has been held in Dubna. About 30 students accompanied by their professors come every year to Dubna. The lectures on scientific studies held in JINR are read by the leading scientists of JINR. For example, in 2009 the lectures were held by A.V. Belushkin, E.A. Krasavin, V.N. Shvetsov, A.G. Popeko, G.V. Mitsin, etc.
D. V. Kamanin Executive of the contacts with the Republic of South Africa, Director of UC JINR
+7 (49621) 6-58-39 +7 (49621) 6-26-36 Fax: +7 (49621) 6-58-91
- Theoretical Physics “Theory of Nuclear Systems” Leaders: N.V. Antonenko, S.N. Ershov, A.A. Dzhioev, on the RSA side – WITS, UP, iThemba LABS, SU; “Theory of Complex Systems and Advanced Materials” Leaders: V.A. Osipov, A.M. Povolotskii, on the RSA side – UNISA; “Dubna International Advanced School of Theoretical Physics (DIAS-TH)” Leaders: V.V. Voronov, D.I. Kazakov, on the RSA side – UCT.
- Elementary Particle Physics and Relativistic Nuclear Physics “NICA Complex: Design and Construction of the Complex of Accelerators, Collider and Physics Experimental Facilities at Extracted and Colliding Ion Beams Aimed at Studying Dense Baryonic Matter and the Spin Structure of Nucleons and Light Ions, and at Carrying out Applied and Innovation Projects” Leaders: A.S. Sorin, V.D. Kekelidze, G.V. Trubnikov, on the RSA side – UJ, WITS, iThemba LABS, SU; “ALICE: Study of Interactions of Heavy Ion and Proton Beams at the LHC” Leader: A.S. Vodopyanov, on the RSA side – UCT, WITS, iThemba LABS.
- Nuclear Physics “Development of the FLNR Accelerator Complex and Experimental Setups (DRIBs-III)” Leaders: I.V. Kalagin, S.N. Dmitriev, S.I. Sidorchuk, on the RSA side – iThemba LABS, SU; “Synthesis and Properties of Superheavy Elements, the Structure of Nuclei at the Limits of Nucleon Stability” Leaders: M.G. Itkis, S.I. Sidorchuk, on the RSA side – iThemba LABS, SU; “Investigations of Neutron Nuclear Interactions and Properties of the Neutron” Leader: E.V. Lychagin, on the RSA side – UWC, UNISA, SU.
- Condensed Matter Physics, Radiation and Radiobiological Research “Investigations of functional materials and nanosystems using neutron scattering” Leaders: D.P. Kozlenko, V.L. Aksenov, A.M. Balagurov, on the RSA side – Necsa, UP; “Development of the Conceptual Design of a New Advanced Neutron Source – fast pulse NEPTUN reactor at JINR” Leaders: V.N. Shvetsov, M.V. Bulavin, on the RSA side – UP; “Radiation Physics, Radiochemistry, and Nanotechnology Investigations Using Beams of Accelerated Heavy Ions” Leaders: S.N. Dmitriev, P.Yu. Apel, on the RSA side – UWC, NMU, UP, SU; “Biomedical and Radiation-Genetic Studies Using Different Types of Ionizing Radiation” Leaders: G.V. Mitsyn, S.L. Yakovenko, on the RSA side – iThemba LABS; “Development of Scientific DLNP Infrastructure for Research Using Semiconductor Detectors, Laser Metrology, Electrons, Positrons and Cryogenic Technology” Leaders: V.V. Glagolev, G.A. Shelkov, on the RSA side – iThemba LABS.
- Networking, Computing, Computational Physics “Information and Computing Infrastructure of JINR” Leader: V.V. Korenkov, on the RSA side – UCT; “Methods, Algorithms and Software for Modeling Physical Systems, Mathematical Processing and Analysis of Experimental Data” Leaders: Gh. Adam, P.V. Zrelov, on the RSA side – UCT; “Analytical and Methodological Work to Assess the Prospects of Scientific Research and Cooperation in the Main Directions of JINR’s Development. Organization of International Cooperation” Leaders: V.A. Matveev, S.N. Nedelko.
- Educational Programme “Organization, Support and Development of the JINR Educational Programme” Leaders:G.V. Trubnikov, V.A. Matveev,A.Yu. Verkheev, on the RSA side – SU.
- University of Cape Town
- iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator-Based Sciences
- University of the Western Cape
- The South African Nuclear Energy Corporation (NECSA)
- University of South Africa (UNISA)
- University of Pretoria
At present, Faïҫal Azaiez, Research Director of the National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), is a representative of the government of the RSA in the Scientific Council of JINR.
- New Year’s Day – 1 January
- Human Rights Day – 21 March
- Good Friday – 13 April (Friday before Easter Sunday)
- Family Day – 16 April (Monday after Easter Sunday)
- Freedom Day – 27 April
- Workers Day – 1 May
- Youth Day – 16 June
- National Women`s Day – 9 August
- Heritage Day – 24 September
- Day of Reconciliation – 16 December
- Christmas Day – 25 December
- Day of Goodwill – 26 December
- JINR representatives participated in the 5th Meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Research Infrastructure (BRICS GRAIN), which took place from 23 to 25 October 2023 in Stellenbosch, the Republic of South Africa
- On 23 October 2023, Dr. Rudzani Nemutudi, Deputy Director of the accelerator centre of the Republic of South Africa, iThemba LABS, visited JINR
- On 15 September 2023, a regular round table with the JINR Directorate summed up the results of the 23rd JINR International Training Programme (JEMS-23). For the first time, JEMS was specially organized for representatives of universities and research centres of the Republic of South Africa
- On 12 September 2023, representatives of the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Russian Federation visited JINR, coinciding with the 23rd JINR Training Programme for Decision-Makers in Science and International Scientific Cooperation (JEMS)
- On 11 September 2023, a regular training programme, JINR Expertise for Member States and Partner Countries (JEMS-23), started. The internship was the result of an agreement between JINR and the National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa as part of the work of the RSA – JINR Joint Coordination Committee
- On 20 June 2023, the 22nd meeting of the Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) on Cooperation of the Republic of South Africa (RSA) with the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research took place
- On 7 June 2023, the second stage of the International Student Practice of the JINR University Centre started at JINR. 28 young scientists came from the South African Republic to participate in the internship
- On 18 May 2023, an international working meeting on the development of the University Centre JINR project “Open information and educational environment to support fundamental and applied interdisciplinary research at JINR” took place at UC JINR. Representatives of universities of the JINR Member States and Associate Members took part in the event
- On 30 March 2023, the 17th session of the Joint Intergovernmental Committee on Trade and Economic Cooperation between the Russian Federation and the Republic of South Africa was held in Pretoria. The delegation of the Joint Institute took part in the meeting of the Joint Russian-South African Commission on Scientific and Technological Cooperation held within the framework of intergovernmental consultations. The final protocol of the Joint Committee confirmed the intention of JINR and its partners from South Africa to direct joint efforts to improve the status of the country in the Institute
- The Republic of South Africa hosted a three-week RSA-JINR Summer School 2023 from 16 January to 4 February. Nineteen delegates of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research visited Cape Town to deliver valuable presentations in different scientific fields to participants of the School
- On 12 September 2022, on the sidelines of the 28th International Conference on Nuclear Physics (INPC 2022) in Cape Town, the 21st meeting of the Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) on Cooperation of the Republic of South Africa with the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held
- The 3rd RSA-JINR Summer School, hosted by iThemba LABS, kicked off on Monday, 24 January 2022, and runs over a two-week period, until 4 February
- On 9 December 2020, representatives of the RSA took part in a representative international workshop devoted to the conception of JINR Information Centres
- On 28 October, the 19th regular meeting of the RSA-JINR Joint Coordination Committee started in the video conference format
- A team of the joint JINR-RSA project “Nuclear and related analytical techniques for environmental studies using aquatic biomonitors around the Southern African coastline” held a Skype kick-off meeting on 23 June 2020
- An agreement between the University of Pretoria and JINR was signed on 27 February 2020
- From 9 to 30 January 2020, the second JINR-RSA School was held in iThemba LABS, the RSA. A large delegation of JINR representatives took part in the event
- On 3 June 2019, two events were launched in the JINR Visit Centre: the 1st stage of the UC Summer Student Practice for students from universities of the Republic of South Africa started, and the 12th JEMS training programme was launched in which deans of four RSA universities took part. Students and professors from the RSA met each other in the JINR Visit Centre at an introductory lecture about the Joint Institute
- On 3 June 2019, the first stage of the International Student Practice started in the JINR University Centre. 22 students from universities of the Republic of South Africa have come to Dubna, among whom there are also representatives of Cameroon and Nigeria studying at RSA universities
- On 10 – 29 January 2019, representatives of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research took part in the SAINTS Summer School organised by iThemba LABS with the support of the Southern African Institute for Nuclear Technology (SAINTS) in South Africa
- “Advances and challenges in physics within JINR and South Africa”. That was the name of the 5th symposium RSA-JINR that was held on 4 – 9 November 2018 in Somerset West, South Afric
- On 7 November 2018, the 17th Session of the Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) RSA-JINR was held in iThemba LABS (Cape town, RSA)
- On 6 September 2018, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the National Research Foundation of the Republic of South Africa (NRF) Clifford Nxomani had a meeting with JINR Director V.A. Matveev
- On 4 June 2018, the first stage of the International Student Practice of JINR for participants from the Republic of South Africa was launched
- The first stage of the International Student Practice in JINR Fields of Research for students from the Republic of South Africa started on 29 May 2017
- The joint workshop of iThemba LABS and JINR was held on 2 December 2016 in the iThemba LABS co-chaired by its Director Faical Azaiez and JINR Vice-Director Grigory Trubnikov
- On 1 December 2016, at the CSIR International Convention Centre the 16th session of the Joint Coordination on RSA-JINR cooperation was held in the frames of the Forum “RSA-JINR: 10 Years Together”
- On 30 November 2016, the JINR delegation headed by JINR Director, RAS Academician Victor Matveev paid a visit to Chief Executive Officer of the leading SA Nuclear Energy Corporation NECSA Mr. Phumzile Tshelane
- Today, on 28 November 2016, at the CSIR International Convention Centre in Pretoria RSA-JINR 10th Collaboration Celebration & Ten-year Review Forum, dedicated to the 60th anniversary of JINR and the 10th anniversary of cooperation between JINR and the Republic of South Africa, started, where the JINR delegation arrived headed by JINR Director, RAS Academician V. Matveev in order to discuss the results of cooperation, optimisation ideas and plans for the future
- From 28 November to 1 December 2016 at the CSIR International Convention Centre in Pretoria RSA-JINR 10th Collaboration Celebration & Ten-year Review Forum will be held
- A workshop on expansion of contacts with JINR, organized by Director of the Center of High Resolution, Professor Jan Neethling was held on 4 March 2016 in the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth, in the Centre for High Resolution Transmission Electron (CHRTEM)
- The South Africa-JINR Education and Research Collaboration Workshop was held in the University of the Western Cape (UWC) on 29 February – 1 March 2016
- On 10 December 2015, in the NECSA in Pretoria, Deputy Director of the Frank Laboratory of Neutron Physics JINR Otilia Culicov and Chief of the FLNP Scientific Department Sergey Kulikov had a working meeting with Divisional Executive Dr. Motodi Maserumule and Senior Manager of the Radiation Science Department Gawie Nothnagel
- The Science Forum: South Africa – 2015 was held on 8 – 9 December 2015 in Pretoria, South Africa; The Forum brought together more than 1000 representatives of scientific research and educational organizations in the International Convention Center
- On 28 October 2015, a delegation from the Free State Province of the Republic of South Africa headed by the Premier Minister Mr. ES Magashule visited JINR
- On 28 October 2015, the press tour for journalists from England, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Germany, India, China, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey, France and the Republic of South Africa was held in JINR
- On Friday, 25 September 2015, in Dubna the Week of the Republic of South Africa in JINR dedicated to the 10th Anniversary of signing of the Cooperation Memorandum between the government of the Republic of South Africa and JINR was finished
- The 15th Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 23 September 2015 in the JINR Club of scientists in Dubna
- A Joint JINR Seminar will be held on 21 September 2015 in the International Conference Hall. The programme of the Seminar includes a report of Rob Adam (Square Kilometre Array, South African Republic) “Doing transformational science with the Square Kilometre Array (SKA)”
- 4th RSA-JINR Symposium «Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications» dedicated to the 60th Anniversary of the Institute started today, on 21 September 2015 in Dubna, in the International Conference Hall
- A regular session of the Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 13 – 14 November 2014 in Cape Town (RSA) in the National cyclotron laboratory iThemba
- The third stage of the international student practice that ended in the JINR University Centre on 24 September 2014 gathered in Dubna students from Belarus, Serbia and the Republic of South Africa
- The Strategic workshop on development of the RSA-JINR cooperation was held on 27 March 2014 on the sidelines of a session of the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of JINR Member States
- A working meeting with representatives of a number of the RSA organizations which cooperate with JINR was held on 21 March 2014 in Stellenbosch
- The 1st International African Symposium on Exotic Nuclei (IASEN-2013) is being held on 2 – 6 December 2013 in Cape Town (RSA). The Symposium was jointly organized by the National Research Fund (NRF), the National cyclotron laboratory iThemba LABS and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
- A four-day visit to JINR of a group of professors of RSA universities was finished on 11 October 2013
- The third stage of the International student practice was started on Monday, 9 September 2013 in the JINR University Centre
- The 12th Joint Coordination Committee on RSA-JINR cooperation was held along with the 3rd South Africa–JINR Symposium „Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications“ at the Stellenbosch University (RSA) on 27-28 November 2012
- On Tuesday, 27 November 2012, the 3rd South Africa–JINR Symposium „Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications“ was opened at Stellenbosch, South Africa
- The third stage of the International student practice for students from the Republic of South Africa will be held on 24 September – 14 October 2012 at the JINR University Centre
- The 11th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 26-27 June 2012
- The 10th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 21 – 22 November 2011 at the RSA cyclotron laboratory iThemba LABS
- On 9 – 11 November 2011 a JINR delegation participated in a workshop on nanotechnologies and materials organized by the International Centre for Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI) and the Department of science and technology of the RSA Government in Pretoria
- A delegation of leading scientists of the Veksler and Baldin Laboratory of High Energy Physics headed by VBLHEP Deputy Director Professor A.S.Vodopianov stayed in Pretoria and Cape Town from 18 to 27 October 2011 on an official visit
- On 12 August 2011 the representatives of NPT/NECSA (the RSA) – NTP Managing Director Paul van der Walt and DIPR Engineering Manager Corrie Ungerer visited JINR
- The 9th Joint Coordination Committee on cooperation between the Republic of South Africa and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research was held on 1 June 2011
- The three-day forum “RSA-JINR: 5 years together” which was held at Pretoria, the RSA, was finished on 10 February 2011 JINR newspapper “Dubna” #6 (18 February 2011) about the event
- The forum “RSA-JINR: 5 years together” started on 8 February 2011. A delegation of 14 leading scientists and JINR directors headed by JINR Acting Director M.Itkis flew to Pretoria to participate in the forum
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of South Africa in the Russian Federation Mr. Mandisi B.M. Mpahlwa, accompanied by Science and Technology Attaché Doctor Neville Arendse, visited JINR on 14 December 2010 JINR newspapper “Dubna” #49-50 (28 December 2010) about the event
- 14 leading specialists of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research made the reports on the major directions of JINR activities at the 55th Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Physics (SAIP), which took place from 27 September till 1 October 2010 in Pretoria. They also read lectures for the South Africa students at the Spring Practice that was held within the frames of the conference
- 7 September 2010. The Second Symposium “Few to Many Body Systems: Models, Methods and Applications” was held in the BLTP JINR
- The International Student Practice at JINR for 29 students from The Republic of South Africa is started on 7 September 2010
- On 20 January 2009, Minister-Counsellor of the Science & Technology Department of the South African Republic (SAR) Embassy in Moscow Dr. Neville Arendse and Technology Research Programme Manager Mr. Johan Eksteen visited JINR
- RSA-JINR: new phase of negotiation. 15 April 2009 7th meeting of the RSA-JINR Joint Coordination Committee was held in Cape Town